Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodfun58

Wall Calendar or Hand Held organizer?

goodfun58
17 years ago

Which method do you find works best? I have never used the

computer type - hand held organizer... and am wondering if it is better? I notice that Flylady uses a wall calendar. I am trying to be better organized and would appreciate your thoughts?

Sue

Comments (3)

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

We use the large wall calendar. I've purchased More Times Moms one and this year I tried Flylady's version since it started in August. Since there are six of us in the house, this is our grand central station. DH uses a Daytimer small notebook size for his business needs and will coordinate household things there. I have a smaller notebook type for work related stuff also.

Since we keep all of the family activities (or any work activities which would not normally occur) on this central calendar, we don't double book or miss things. I like the ones starting in August because I can write entire year activities like school, Scouts, lessons, etc. and not have to hang on to the paper.

Works for us and has made a BIG difference.

Gloria

• joann23456
    17 years ago

Handheld (currently a Pocket PC) for me, for the past five or six years. I've written before about it - I *love* it! I do put the family schedule in it, and can sort by family member, whole family, work items, etc. If I want something in writing, I can print the calendar from the handheld.

The thing I like best about the handheld as it relates to scheduling is that it can go everywhere with you, and related information is always available. For example, if my schedule says, "John's birthday" on the calendar, I know that John's address is in the Contacts section, a list of gift ideas may be in the Notes section (I try to write things down as they occur to me throughout the year), and when I decide what I want to buy, I can write it on the shopping list I keep in the Notes section. With a wifi hotspot, I can even send an ecard from the handheld. (And, as it relates to birthdays and anniversaries, I like that I only have to enter them once, and they'll keep popping up year after year.)

For me, the problem with a central family calendar is that I still have to carry something portable, so I'd have to write everything down twice. And I know myself - a lot of stuff simply wouldn't make it from one calendar to another.

Then, of course, there's the convenience of being able to carry photos, music and books all in the same small package.

I can't wait for the combination handheld/cell phones to get a little better (mostly, better display), because I love the idea of only carrying the one thing with me.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    17 years ago

Sue,

I use a small (4x6" or so) spiral academic calendar (2 pages per week, starts in July and runs through the school year) that fits in my purse so it is always with me. It's probably my single greatest tool.

Since I was the only one in the family who actually looked at the old wall calendar (everyone else, for example, just looks at the football schedule instead) it made the most sense for me to keep my own calendar that would be with me at all times (we're hardly ever home).

I'm a "visual" person and have no interest in a PDA where you can't read the whole week at a time. I *like* to flip through paper pages! LOL I also have trouble reading tiny fonts.

Here is how my calendar was beneficial yesterday:
    1. I had to call from my office and make DS a dentist appt. If I used a wall calendar, it wouldn't have been with me to check for conflicts. (I actually tried carrying around a wall calendar for a while once, ROFL).
    2. Someone wanted me to go to the high school Booster Club meeting next Monday. Nope-won't work, I already have something scheduled next Monday. I didn't have to say "I'll call and let you know" because I had an immediate answer.
    3. I need to shop for birthday presents. I called my niece to see what the kids needed, and wrote that in the planner (when I go shopping, the list will be with me).

When we received the 2006-7 school calendar this month, everything was copied over--that's the advantage of an academic calendar... I don't have to do it over in January!

My daily to-do list of errands is on the front of the book on a post-it note so I don't forget anything in the rush home from work.

There is an address book section in the back where I put all the numbers I need.