Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melaska

How would you make a U-shaped closet work?

melaska
13 years ago

Hi...we're building next Spring & am wondering how to do our U-shaped closet. How do you deal with the corners? The area is about 10' wide x 7'10" on one end & 4' 10" on the other. I don't want the corners to be useless. Do most just put shelves in the corners?

Thank you for any ideas :)

Comments (8)

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Most designs put shelving across the back, but shy about 18-24" from each side so that hanging can extend back to the wall. If you get a custom closet organizer (not just those wire shelving units) I'm sure there are pieces geared for closet corners.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

If you google walk in closet designs you will get lots of ideas on what to do in the corners and how to lay out the rest

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    13 years ago

We used one corner to make floor-to-ceiling cubbies for my husband's sweatshirts, underwear, and so forth. Each side of the cubby unit is perpendicular to the wall, so the rods install against each side. Works well and gives "breathing room" to the area between hanging rods on back and side wall of the closet.

• jjaazzy
    13 years ago

I made two corner cabinets with fixed shelving for shoes, purses, sweaters. The opening across the front has a nice curved in shape and is large enough to easily get items in and out. Each shelf can hold many things. For example my husband can get 4 pairs of shoes and still have shelf showing. I can get more pairs. I love using the corners this way cause every thing is visable and organized. I never have to fear someone is going to see closet cause it always looks nice and neat. Wish I could say the same for the rest of the house. Btw the lowest shelf we made a little taller for boots. The other thing I wanted to do was add lighting via rope or other down the back but I didn't want to delay it any more

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your ideas, everyone! :)

• talley_sue_nyc
    13 years ago

You could make that "off-season clothes storage" or "Christmas ornament storage"; put shelves that will hold big storage bins there, and attach the hanging rode to the wall through the back of the shelves.

You wouldn't be able to access those bins all that easily, bcs they'd be blocked by the clothes, but you wouldn't *want* to get into them all that often. You just go pull them out twice a year or so.

Or, have the rods go all the way to the wall, and hang those out-of-season clothes in that hard-to-access space.

• murrayk
    13 years ago

There are numerous ways to make a U-shaped closet work, Rubbermaid or closetmaid has specific corners that will allow you to hang in that space and Elements has a corner that would create a stack of wooden shelving for storage. You can also leave room with the shelving that is installed to make sure it is at least 24" away from the corner, all of these will assist in making the corner more accessible.

Here is a link that might be useful: storageworks - shelving

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, talley & murray! I've never seen those Rubbermaid corner sliding sections before - what a great idea. Yes, talley - bins are in my future :) Thanks!