Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning out the basement

Posted by sudiepav (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 15:05

My husband and I each have a basement! Mine is accessed from the kitchen and the patio. His is under the family room and can only be entered from outside. I periodically go down to mine and clean off a shelf or two and donate/discard. His is for storage of lawn and patio equipment. We have nice new deck furniture which will have to go there for the winter. The problem is that this space is full of junk, some from the previous owner. My proposal is that every Tuesday, trash night, we each make one trip from the basement with junk. We have done so for 3 weeks, and already I see a difference. We have been especially lucky with metal, old refrigerator grates, bike racks, dishwasher door, old rusted Tonka trucks (the boys are 46, 43, and 37 and NEVER lived in this house!). Metal scrappers pick this stuff up; in fact very little of what we put out has gone in the landfill. It takes us 5 minutes and I hope by winter that we have the space to store our furniture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning out the basement

OK, keep us updated.

o

It's amazing what just one small effort can do if you are consistent about it.

I try very hard to make sure the recycling bin goes out as full as possible so old papers and boxes don't pile up. Minor, but after a month of stuffing the bin to the brim every week, it's done and over with.

o

I'm w/ lazygardens--it's amazing what a small effort will do if you keep it up. One benefit w/ the basement is that new stuff is not really going in there (that's why it's hard for me to get any traction with *one* small thing in my house; I need to do more like 40.)

Frustrating that stuff is there from the previous owner. But that's easy to get rid of, I bet!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here