Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annaa_gw

Ant-Proof Kitchen Storage Containers?

AnnaA
10 years ago

Hello All,
The past few years we've seen ants amassing at the border of our home, and this year they've started their assault.

What recommendations do you have for ant-proof food storage, besides a refrigerator and vacuum sealed bags? I've been using oxo POP containers, but have read reviews that these are not ant-proof and I tend to believe that, just looking at the devices.

I do the Refrig, vacuum seal, and glass jars with screw top lids, but would love something uniform and stackable.

Ideas?

Thanks

Comments (9)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Tupperware Modular Mates keep everything out.

• emma
    10 years ago

Any of the plastic food containers should work as long as they have a tight fitting lid. I like square containers instead of round.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 15:59

• bspofford
    10 years ago

Wouldn't it be easier to get rid of the ants?

• Fori
    10 years ago

What kind of ants? They can be so different in their habits and capabilities it really helps to know.

• AnnaA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LuAnn, it's funny how some of the originals turn out to still be the best. I've used modular mates for years, then switched to the L&L glass for Refrig food, only to be switching back as the seals on the L&L are hard to keep clean.

Yes, treatment is - & has been - 1st line of defense. They are the little ants, people call sugar ants. Don't know technical term.

Thanks everyone.

• emma
    10 years ago

If you see where they are coming just wipe away their scent trail. I had them twice in the same week at my last home and washed the scent trail off. The first time they found another way in and I did the same there. They never came back.

• ccintx
    10 years ago

Use a hand spreader and Bayer Complete Insect Killer granules and spread them around the perimeter of your house. In a week, no more ants.

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

I don't think I'd go buy whole new kitchen containers--can you just slip a zip-lock plastic bags into each container, and seal those?

My mom was a big fan of this high-potency liquid you would dribble onto little pieces of cardboard. It was high potency, so we all got a big lecture about never touching it, and she found some way to keep the cats away from it. But it worked! That was along time ago, though, and I don't know what it was exactly.

• daybydaybyday
    10 years ago

Sugar ants can literally take over a home. You need to get granule ant poison and sprinkle around the entire perimeter of your home.

If yours is a crawlspace foundation, you need to toss in some of the granules into the crawlspace vents.

Empty your pantry, get a can of Bengal Gold, and spray a line of it all around the ceiling, all around the floor, and up every corner. You need to do this inside your cabinets as well. Bengal is the only thing that works, and it stays active for a year or more.

Any air-tight container will work. Walmart has some clear off-brand ones that hold up great.