Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgmarie

Hubby 28 magazines a month!

dgmarie
17 years ago

My DH gets 28 (I counted) trade/industry magazines per month. Everything from "911 Dispatch" to "Air and Space." They aren't mags I read or want, but Dh enjoys them, and he does read them---eventually.

The problem I have is where to put them all. They stack up. I don't like clutter. I've thought seriously about one of those doctor's office magazine carrosels but they cost about $400 or so. If he never read them, I'd say toss them, but he seriously takes a stack of 3 or 4 per night and goes through them and tosses them out. Meanwhile every day more come in. Help! I'm drowing!

Comments (10)

• marie26
    17 years ago

I have the same problem with DH's magazines. He also eventually reads them all. He used to save certain magazines but now will throw them out once he's read them. They are kept in 3 places. The ones by his bed that he reads first. Then there is metal tin that another stack is in that he reads second. The third place is a rubbermaid type bin. When the metal tin gets low, I put more in from the bin. I once mistakenly got a whole bunch wet (don't ask). I tried to salvage what I could and threw the rest out. It was a large garbage bag full that ended up being tossed in the garbage. This happened about 6 months ago and he hasn't noticed yet.

• cupofkindness
    17 years ago

Arggh! I'd go crazy too!

What about stackers? Or a cart with wire drawers that he can store the magazines in? Or even a bookcase with those boxes designed to hold a year's worth of magazines? Are the sizes of the magizines fairly uniform? Also, is their a "Half Price Books" store in your town? I believe they buy fresh magazines. If he goes through them in a timely way, they might have some re-sale value.

Meditating on marriage vows is another appoach to this problem. Good luck!

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

f he never read them, I'd say toss them, but he seriously takes a stack of 3 or 4 per night and goes through them and tosses them out

that's pretty good, actually!

What about something like this: a large faux-leather tote

You can stand the magazines up in it, putting the new ones to one end. And he can grab them out from the top, from the other end (so they don't get stale on him). And, if it gets full, he's got to eithe rtoss or read.

And pat him on the back, etc., for tossing them out when he's done--at least he's not making you keep them in case someday he needs them!

If you don't want to look at them, maybe you could find something w/ a lid, like this covered wicker trunk that's tall enough to hold them standing on end when closed. You'd need something about 12" high inside. This one from stacksandstacks.com is a good size.
    and if you search froogle.com on "medium trunk wood wooden" you'll find some wood examples.

I emphasize the "standing on end" instead of "in a stack," because then he can easily work his way from oldest to newest, and nobody has to do much handling to put the new ones on the "bottom" of the stack (because it's the back, not the bottom)

Then, they're corralled, you can put them there whenever they come in, and nobody thinks about them again.

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

Does he have a home office space or some place that's designated as his? DH gets numerous professional journals. He basically has a box in his home office and they pile up there. He probably goes through them every six months or so. Since we adhere to the private/public space theory, whatever he keeps in his space, I just ignore. This has really helped keep down on our conflicts, since everyone knows my quilt magazines are way more important than his accounting ones.

Gloria

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Magazines are one thing I have trouble with A.)getting rid of and B.) finding a place to put them
    This is why I don't subscribe to any magazines any longer.

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

DH's office is in the basement but he prefers to read them in the family room,so stacking them down there is a sure fire way to have them never get gone through. I guess I will just continue to pile them in something, something attractive!

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

You can get those cardboard magazine holders in most office areas. You crease the folds and put them together. I think each one holds about twelve. They look nice on a bookself and you could sort by mag that way. I have several years of quilt magazines stored that way.

• susanjn
    17 years ago

"everyone knows my quilt magazines are way more important than his accounting ones"

Well, yeah....LOL....and probably enjoyed more, too.

• marge727
    17 years ago

okay--this calls for drastic measures. First check to see if he really is keeping track of all 28 equally. Next time he takes a trip--or goes to the dentist or something, ask which of his favorite magazines he wants to take with. Then you can start deciding what strategy to use with the rest.
    Professional mags range from ghastly to useful. Start reading a couple yourself and ask him questions based on the material like"did you read about the new IRS regs on capital depreciation" and see what he says.
    If he looks blank--he is really just looking at the pictures. So start hiding about 2 mags a week and see if he notices.

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

Do you eat breakfast cereal like cornflakes etc? My mom used to cut the boxes so she could file magazines in them. I think she covered some with contact paper and they did look nice and orderly on the shelves.