Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
engineerchic_gw

Getting rid of clothing that doesn't fit

EngineerChic
11 years ago

Okay, I have a dilemma. Due to several factors I lost about 35 pounds over the last year or so. I now have an impressive selection of bras that don't fit.

Do I store them long term? Chuck them? So many of my clothes from that time are worn enough that I tossed them guilt free, or were in donate able shape, or I've kept as crappy clothes to garden or paint in (who cares if your jeans are a size or 2 too large if you're painting, right?).

But these bras ... Most are not worn out or anywhere near it. They were expensive things and they are small compared to a sweater or jeans. So the $/cubic inch seems high (I could store $300 of bras in a small space, since most were $50-$60 each, damned Wacoal for prohibiting sales).

I don't plan to gain the weight back, but I didn't plan to lose it, either. WWYD?

Comments (7)

• Fori
    11 years ago

Toss them. It gives you one more reason to keep the weight off! :P

• tripletmom83
    11 years ago

Normally I'd say get rid of too large clothes when you lose weight. But since they are so expensive and take up so little space, and bras really don't go out of style, I think I'd keep them. Weight does have a way of creeping back.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I hope your weight loss was not the result of illness. If it was and you are now back to good health, I would hang on to the bras.

But if you decide to get rid of them, don't throw them away. People will wear good, used bras. Offer them for sale on craigslist, give them to Goodwill, or call a local women's shelter to see if they are interested.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Congrats on your weight loss!

Yes, if you do decide to get rid of them - definitely donate to a shelter. There are often women in need of bras that fit them.

• captjvmoore
    11 years ago

Everybody's got old clothes that don't fit. That doesn't exactly mean they have to be ruined by the time factor. Some, like in my case, are pretty much intact. I suggest keeping them for the following uses:
    - Old clothing. Most of the times you will look for a larger rug than the almost completely useless one you already have. Things like old T-shirts make for excellent rugs.
    - Donation or charity. Surely there will be someone interested in that clothing. Remember that one man's trash is another man's treasure.
    - Heritage. The most preserved ones can be kept to be passed on from one generation to the other.
    - Household use. Plain clothing, suitable for filling in for those DIY materials.

• sherwoodva
    11 years ago

If the elastic and fabric are not worn or stretched out, I would donate them to your local Goodwill or charity thrift store. Where I live, we have thrift stores that support shelters and sometimes give the clothes to the people at the shelter. Some cities have "Dress for Success" organizations as well. I figure if I'm not using a garment and don't know if I ever will again, it should go to where someone else can use it.

Confession here: My closet is not totally pared down yet; still working on it.

• nostalgicfarm
    11 years ago

Donate them or list them as a "lot" on ebay...you'd make enough to buy at least one new bra in your current size if your lucky :)