Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Which makes the best use of space, hanging rods or shelves?

TxMarti
10 years ago

It seems to me that rods would be better, but all the photos I find on houzz with small closet as the search terms have a combination of shelves and rods.

Comments (7)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

It really depends on WHAT is in said spaces.

• sherwoodva
    10 years ago

Agree with LuAnn. IF it is a clothing closet with limited space, rods are more versatile than shelves. Mine is tiny, so I have a double rod. There is a shelf at the top for seldom used purses, etc. There is an old fashioned metal shoe rack (two rows) on the bottom inside of the door, and a hook at the top of the door (but only inside, not over the door) that will hold eight hangers. I use it for favorite items and scarves. Other shoes go on the floor.

IF you have a big closet, you can do whatever you want ;) Small closets are more challenging.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our master bedroom closet is 3x5'. That is for both of us. Challenging is an understatement. lol

Right now I have double rods across the 5' width, with a 1 perpendicular on one side. It holds my few dresses and a shelf over it for suitcases (they all fit inside each other). On the other side, dh's tie rack and a metal rack with hooks for hats, etc. Shelf across the top of the double rods with plastic boxes for seasonal clothes and purses. Dh's shoes are in a closet in the family room and mine are in the linen closet.

I'm about to empty the closet, take out the shelves and rods, and paint. I thought I'd reconfigure the rods if there is a better way. When the suitcase is on its shelf, dh has a hard time reaching the clothes on that end.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've found something that may work, or something similar.

Does anyone know where either of these closet systems is from?

Just the hanging clothes part of this one:

{{!gwi}}

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Marti: Based on the curled-forward rod hooks, I believe the first photo is a Closetmaid system.

The second photo is an Elfa, available at the Container Store. I can tell by the style of the mesh drawers and the rectangular pullout opening at the top of them. As well as the closet-rod holders.

I have a lesser Closetmaid system in an upstairs closet and a small Elfa system in my entry hall closet, and neither was very difficult to install. For the most versatility, IMHO, it's Elfa all the way! Because you only have to install the top horizontal rail, and the "standards" hang off of them (no screws connect the "standards" to the wall).

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I'll look the next time I go to the Container Store. They were just having a sale too.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Because you only have to install the top horizontal rail, and the "standards" hang off of them (no screws connect the "standards" to the wall).

I was at the Container Store last night looking at Elfa, and I noticed that even though you only "have to" install the top horizontal rail, they screwed down the bottoms too in every display!