Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris21_gw

Two ideas that worked

iris21
17 years ago

I'm not the most organized person, so I'm here to get ideas. But I did learn two good things not long ago and thought I'd share in case it helps anyone. Heaven knows this might be my only contribution here.

I bought one of those over the door pocket organizers. It has stretchy net pockets. It only cost about $7. I put it on the inside of my linen closet door. It holds spare light bulbs, kleenex boxes, and cleaning rags. I love it, and the door shuts just fine. That was just wasted space before. You could store whatever you like there.

My other fave idea I learned on-line. Maybe everyone knows this but me? I store my bed sheets on my top closet shelf, and they were always coming down on my head when I reached for something. This solved that problem. Fold your flat sheet so it measures about 18" x 36" (the length of a bed pillow, but three times the width). Lay that flat. Now fold your fitted sheet any way you want (I'm not Martha Stewart) until it's about the size/shape of a bed pillow, and place it in the center of your flat sheet. Place one pillowcase on top. Now fold the two sides of your flat sheet up and over the whole thing. Slide that bundle into the other pillowcase. This makes a totally neat, easily stackable bundle the size of a bed pillow. Yank it down and everything you need is right there, no more hunting for that other pillowcase. I wish I'd known this years ago!

Comments (12)

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

I'm totally going to do that stuff. Thanks for the tips. You're right the door is valuable space and that's a convenient way to keep the sheets... they are forever flapping down from the shelves!

• pinkcarnation
    17 years ago

I did the same thing with my linen closet, only I had to make the organizer myself because the ones for purchase were too wide for my door. I live in an old house, but that particular door is amazingly narrow! The pockets are just wonderful for storing all those small items that I previously stored in small baskets on one of the shelves....light bulbs (as you said),spare batteries, vacuum belts, lint removers, flashlights....just all those little things you need to find a home for. It is wonderful because you free up so much space on your shelves.I love the idea of using these pockets. I also made some that I designed for specific items in my sewing room, but I don't hang any of them over a door. I used grommets and hang them on hooks.

I think a lot of people will like your idea....I know I do and the one about bundling the sheets together is great!!
    Thanks for sharing!!

• iris21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You're both welcome! I was amazed that there was clearance even for a tall Kleenex box on that linin closet door.

Pinkcarnation, I love your idea about making one and hanging it in your sewing room. How clever! I should also tuck my vacuum belts into my hall closet one. I can hardly reach them where they are. On the one you made to go over the door, how did you attach it?

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

I also have found success in using the over the door pockets, in my case, a shoe organizer. This is the contents of my junk drawer placed in the pockets; it is hanging on the back of the laundry room door. I also have hung the yard sticks on the wall behind the door.

• iris21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's a great place for that organizer, Mustang. I like the clear pockets; it makes it so easy to find everything!

I may borrow your idea for the yardsticks, too.

• rjvt
    17 years ago

I use a few shoe holders around the house, too. The one downstairs in the extra room that looks like mustang's, with hardware type stuff in it. Then I have 2 upstairs in the extra room there. One is on the door and holds arts & crafts stuff (glue, extra pens, erasers, rulers, etc.) from when we used this as a craft/game room. I really needed somewhere for tissues when I ran, and with the vibration and wind from the fan, things would not stay where I put them. I found one of these holders at the Christmas tree store in the bathroom section with only 6 sections. I hung it on the wall next to the treadmill and use it to hold tissues, and can use one pocket for trash, one for water, etc.

• azzalea
    17 years ago

I've been storing my sheets inside a pillowcase for many years now. So much easier to keep the sets together. And when you change the bed, you just have to reach in and grab one 'package' and know that everything you need is right there.

I'm sure a lot of you do this, but I like things I use often to be handy, yet organized. I've got several stoneware crocks in my kitchen. On the counter by the table, I've got crocks for the silverware (which freed up an entire kitchen drawer for me to use for little odds and ends), near the range I have a crock that holds my spatulas, cooking spoons, tongs, etc. On my mixing counter, I've got one for my whisks (although, that collection is outgrowing it's crock, I simply CANNOT pass up a new and different style of whisk--LOL).

• missourimomtotwo
    17 years ago

I used one of those organizers in the nursery - perfect for all the little bottles, creams, socks, bows, etc that get lost in dresser drawers!

I also put one on the door of our last (old) house's front hall closet: scarves, mittens, etc fit perfect in there!

• iris21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

- Rjvt,
    That's a great idea for your exercise area. We've all seen what fans can do to kleenex - lol.

- Azzelea,
    I was SO happy the day I found that tip for sheets. It made a huge difference here. Right now I've got a stoneware crock in my kitchen full of paint brushes, since I've been painting so much in the house. I've got another one with brushes to clean stuff.

- Missourimomtotwo,
    My nursery days are long past, but I can see how that could be just super in there. Great idea for scarves and mittens, too.

I'm thinking they'd be dandy for craft items, too. Too bad so many closet doors are sliders, eh? I'd love to find more places to hang these organizers, but they're not pretty.

Where do you all store the rest of your kitchen utensils? You know, like the gravy baster, potato masher, garlic press, teaspoon measures, and that sort of stuff?

And where do you store your spices when you have a lot of them?

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

Iris, To your question about spices: I have shared this before but, here is my spice drawer but that is a small amount of them. I stayed up late last night totally reorganizing the spices and baking cabinet. I bought the stair step organizers for the bottom shelf in the upper cabinet and turn tables for the upper shelves. I had the turn tables before but it was becoming disorganized. A little more tweaking today and I will have it pretty good. I try to buy the smallest amounts of spices like the little 2.5 or 1.2 oz jars from Penzeys.

• nutynetie
    17 years ago

Iris21 - I'd kiss you if I could! You solved my pots 'n pan lid problem. We've got a coat closet in the breakfast nook that I use as a pantry on which I've hung a plastic coated wire lid organizer. This helped get the lids off the shelf but when you open the door too fast the smaller lids fly off - and into me! I The large over the door organizer will let me slide 'em into a pocket. Thanx!

• pinkcarnation
    17 years ago

Iris,
    In answer to your question about the organizer on the door, I actually used the hooks from an old one. One side hooks over the door and the other smaller hooks go through the grommits.I just reinforced the top of the organizer with heavy cardboard (inside the fold) and put two heavy duty grommits on it to hold the hooks. Since the hooks are not actually attached to the organizer, I can switch it out if I choose. I made the one for my sewing room the same way, but just hung it on hooks on the wall. I am now designing one for my quilt rulers. They are different sizes and shapes, so it has to be custom! Hope that helps!!
    Jackie

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations