Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamesfjamesf

Bathroom vs bedroom: storage or sinks?

jamesfjamesf
11 years ago

Hi folks..I recently bought a MA colonial and I'm unusually lost on design ideas. The "master" bed & bath take up the right half of the upstairs, running front to back. The bed is large but has no closet. The bath has all the plumbing on the left- 32" square shower, 18" wide sink, toilet. On the right is wire shelving for clothes. In the middle is a path to the bizarre small deck that hangs off the house in mid air. Completely not a bathroom for 2 people.

The choices I've come down to are, expand the shower (a must) and put 2 sinks on that right wall and get a large freestanding armoire for the bed room, or only have one sink and use the remaining 36" to move walls and build a big closet in the bedroom.

Personally I'd go the armoire route but I do need to keep in mind attractiveness to buyers. This is a family neighborhhod. Are built-in closets that desireable? It would make the room smaller.

The deck:

http://www.groupwbench.org/deck.jpg

thanks,

jim

Comments (8)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

A photo of the bedroom and bath would be more helpful than a exterior photo of the deck.

• jj4444444
    11 years ago

I would have to see it a bit more, but I would say I would want a closet and just one sink. How often do 2 people really need to get ready at the same time and not have a second bathroom to use? As this is a master bath, there is another bath in the house.

I know if I was looking for a house, one sink would not be a deal breaker, but no closet, that would be. I understand you can use something freestanding, but a well thought out closet with more than just a standard bar and shelf seems to be much more useful.

Just my opinion!

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"I know if I was looking for a house, one sink would not be a deal breaker, but no closet, that would be."

I agree!

• tripletmom83
    11 years ago

I vote for the closet too.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

We have a similar set up in that our master bed/bath are on one side of the stairs and run front to back. We went with a 36x48" shower and a 36" wide vanity (only 18" deep, though).

Our options were to have a walk in closet that would eliminate the chance to have a window to the backyard or use a wall of wardrobes. We went with the wardrobes. I linked to our results below.

Wardrobes like these may help get you plenty of clothes storage without taking as much space as a full closet (you don't have the 4" thick wall of a closet, just the door thickness of the wardrobe). It's also a way to really maximize storage since there are no dead zones in the cabinetry.

If it would help to see the floor plan for our master bed/bath let me know. Our house is 36' wide and 24' deep with the center stairs about 1' off center (our bedroom is on the smaller half of the upstairs so the other 2 bedrooms could be decent sized).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pax pictures

• kellyp123
    11 years ago

I vote for closet and one sink. Maybe I am in the minority, but I dislike our two sinks. It is wasted space for us.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

In the middle is a path to the bizarre small deck that hangs off the house in mid air.

Could you remove the deck, change the door to a window and make use of the pathway?

• joann23456
    11 years ago

I like that idea, Graywings!

I agree that two sinks isn't a must, but storage is. I would be happy with Pax wardrobes made to look like a part of the room that would then stay with the house. They have such amazing interior fittings.

Curious as to what people think about that. Of course, I live in an old Victorian with closets that aren't even wide enough for standard hangers, so everything hangs a bit askew, and it doesn't bother me.:)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio