Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosesr4me_gw

Ladies - how do you store your bras?

rosesr4me
16 years ago

It has taken me many years, but I finally understand the need for a good bra and how to properly care for it (thanks to TLC's "What Not to Wear"!).

But I cannot store my bras in a drawer as the padded cups tend to get crushed (ok, maybe I DO have too many of them).

Do any of you use any alternative methods in storing your bras? Maybe hanging them in the closet? I know this may be a silly question, but these small pieces of synthetic fabric, wire and padding are expensive!

Comments (25)

• western_pa_luann
    16 years ago

Mine are in a drawer.

How many DO you have?

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

At VS they store the ones not on display in drawers laid out horizontal across the drawer and they have lots of bras to store. Don't try to store them folded as this is what will ruin them.

• rosesr4me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ah ha - laying them out - I always folded mine. VS would know! I know, silly question. How many? Lets just say over 12....

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

I lay mine in a drawer with cups nested - like spoons.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Mine are lightly nested in a drawer, too. I organize by color. I have a wide drawer, so bras are in the middle, light colored undies on the left, black on the right.

• susanjn
    16 years ago

Mine are in a hanging shoe bag like the one below. The slots are big enough that I don't have to turn one cup inside-out. I have eight bras in active circulation.

{{!gwi}}

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

If you wanted to hang them in the closet and not in a special organizer, you could use some of those special hangers designed for comforters, where the bottom bar is open on one end. Just hang them by sliding a strap along the bar.

Or use skirt hangers and clip the end of each bra with the pinchey clip.

Or use wall hooks and hang them by the straps. Stagger the hooks and you could fit a lot into a narrow space.

VS has the best idea for drawer storage, unless you have enough space to lay each bra flat without nesting them, which would be the ideal--no rummaging, pulling out one in the middle, etc.

I keep a couple around--in a wire basket on a closet shelf, just for special occasions. But basically I burnt mine in the late 1960s and will never wear one regularly again. Too uncomfortable. With age, that has required giving up vanity as well. My grandmother never wore one except on special occasions either and she lived esceptionally happy life, so I'm trying to follow her example!

• jannie
    16 years ago

Jumbled in a top drawer. I'm nearly flat chested, so they aren't really getting damaged in there.

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

It depends on how much space I've had available and where. If there's drawer space, I usually put them in the drawer. I've had them in a wicker basket in my armoire, and I've hung them in my closet on hangars similar to Huggable Hangars. (Those are great and you don't need clips.) They're always hung to dry on hangars before they're put away, but I don't have enough closet space to hang them to store. If I had a bigger closet however, I'd just leave them on the hangars. I really prefer having all my clothes in one place and getting dressed there as well.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

I know the subject line was addressed to 'ladies' but I do all the laundry and storage in our house. My wife has these huge bras and I hang them to dry and then hang them in the closet.

Now, if you will excuse me, 'ladies', I was told to mop the kitchen floor, empty the dishwasher and clean the hall bathroom. Then I am to put an ashtray out back for guests, call Dish Network Service, pay the auto registration bill and.....

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

why wouldn't you be supposed to fold your bras? I can't imagine how that would damage them. Of course, you don't want to squish them if they're shaped...and maybe turning one cup inside out would hurt it?

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

LOL Albert. I'd be afraid all our laundry would be pink if dh did it.

• rosesr4me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. Some of them very humorous I might add (hey albert135, sounds like your momma raised you right!)

pinktoes - great ideas! currently I have them hanging on hooks on back of the bedroom door. Seems like I always need the one behind others!

Susanjn's idea of a shoe bag is a great idea, especially if the organizer has rigid cardboard between cubbies. This would prevent the cups from being crushed (my closet is very packed - that's another challenge!) I think it may work for me - going to give it a try. By the way, those over the door shoe organizers are great - I have one in the garage to hold garage stuff (paint brushes, shop towels, degreaser, car wax, etc.), one in the laundry room for cleaning stuff, and one in the closet for sandals.

Thanks for all your imput. Great forum.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I just store them in a drawer with no problems, but then none of them are padded. I have more problems with the underwires sticking out over time.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Posted by albert_135: Now, if you will excuse me, 'ladies', I was told to mop the kitchen floor, empty the dishwasher and clean the hall bathroom. Then I am to put an ashtray out back for guests, call Dish Network Service, pay the auto registration bill and.....

Wow, now I know what they mean when they say "All the 'good ones' are already married." :)

• liz_h
    16 years ago

talleysue, I recently bought a molded cup bra - the kind that are invisible under T-shirts. As I was signing the charge slip the clerk told me I needed to store it flat, and not folded in the middle. Urk! The drawers I have for lingerie aren't very wide, I usually fold everything. So far, that bra is stored hanging on the closet door handle. NOT a great solution!

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

BTW I hang mine to dry after washing as well as panties. I think it saves the elastic from the high heat in a dryer.

• rosesr4me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yes, yes to air drying bras or anything with elastic. I also handwash my underthings - really keeps them from getting knocked around in the washer especially during spin cycle (and snagging towels or other things).

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Another vote for only air drying bras and panties.

Always hook bras before putting in the washer with other items so the hooks do not catch on things. Put delicate bras in lingerie bags to protect them. Woolite makes a good one with small mesh. Don't buy the ones with large mesh that the department stores sell.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woolite Lingerie Bag

• lov2garden
    16 years ago

I "invested" in some Le Mystere bras, ordering them online, and was a bit shocked at how "big" they seemed due to the molded cups. I love the way they make me look but I was also worried about storing them without crushing them. At Victoria's Secret, they store additional bras in drawers stacked horizontally with the cups on top of each other. I don't have the drawer space so I have mine stacked on a closet shelf. It seems easier for me to find the color I want and put the stack back on a shelf rather than a drawer.

What do you use to hand wash your bras? Do they really get clean? I've been soaking mine in a shampoo solution.

• liz_h
    16 years ago

I wash mine in Charlie's Soap (really a gentle detergent), the same thing I use for all my laundry.

• rosesr4me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lov2garden..

Shampoo is a good choice for a gentle detergent for bras. I use Ivory liquid hand soap. I believe they do get clean with handwashing (BTW, how dirty can they really get??). I don't soak mine, just swoosh the suds through and rinse well and hang up in shower. I bought a Wonder bra once and they certainly have a lot of padding!

I never heard of Charlie's soap - will have to google it.

• alison
    16 years ago

This is a whole new area for me -- I've never really thought about this!

I hook the bras up, put them in a lingerie bag, and wash and dry them at medium temps. That's the extent of the pampering they get. They're folded in half and shoved in a drawer, altho I try to remember to not wear the same one every day for a week.

But these are basic... um... serviceable bras. Nice underwires, but certainly not padded, molded, lacy or frilly, and a long way away from VS style. I buy three new at a time, twice a year, and I don't hestitate to throw them away when they stop looking good.

Have I been slighting my undergarments all this time?

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

Im with you, burn the bras. LOL I only wear one when I go out.
    Im awful about throwing them in the dryer. And it does destroy them and make them ill fitting.

Who made the rule women have to wear bras anyway! Why dont men have to wear support somethings so they can be tortured too?
    LOL

• ademink
    16 years ago

You definitely SHOULD dry your underwear in a hot dryer (panties, not bras). True, they don't last as long. However, I have read several studies (and seen several "germ specials") that show that it is the hot dryer that kills bacteria and other, uh, gross stuff you don't want to still be on your undies!!!

Just a thought!