Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
utilizing space under the stairs

Posted by stacilynn (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 11:18

I have a gutted space under my stairs near my kitchen. The door opening is 36", the inside space is 42" wide, and it goes back 112" but it gradually slopes to a point at the bottom of the stairs. (Obviously I wouldn't use it all the way back in). I would like to use it as a pantry but I am not sure how to accomplish this mainly because of the slope caused by the stairs above. It seems a shame to have so much space but not be able to use it. What would be the most functional way to put in shelving under the stairs? How far in can I go? Does anyone have any ideas/pictures for me to build off of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: utilizing space under the stairs

I don't have pictures. In my last house, I had an under the stair area that got shorter as you walked straight back. What I did was put two wide shelves at the very back. Then I put narrow shelves on the long wall. I used the back shelves to store items I didn't need every day. I kept more frequently used items on my side shelves.

o

adellabedella--Was is a pain or did it seem like functional space? How wide was your shelving on the side?

o

My space was funtional. I'm not sure of the dimensions of the closet since I don't live there anymore. It was the width of a regular size hallway. The side shelves were probably 12" deep. I just went to Lowes and bought the wall shelving brackets and had the shelving boards cut to size there. You could always go shorter if you wanted. In my current house, I have a wall in my pantry that was going to be left bare because the 12" shelves were going to be too big for the space. I had the guys build 6" instead. Those shelves have turned out to be really useful for storing the mega-size spice containers I get from Sam's Club.

o

Hello! I check into this forum occasionally to read, but have never posted. Your question made me think of a post from the kitchens forum about a week ago about someone who turned the space into a nice, functional pantry. I hope this is useful to you!

Here is a link that might be useful: post from kitchens forum

o

Here's another recent thread about under the stairs pantries. There are some really good pictures toward the end of the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: second pantry under the stairs thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here