Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgsd_gw

Pictures of my closet

kgsd
15 years ago

I was taking pics of my closet for Lynn's thread, and thought y'all might like to see more of my walk-in closet. The closet is a 6x10 rectangle, except there's a 3x3 bump-out from the bathroom, so it's really more like an L with a fat bottom. That bump-out makes the closet very hard to use.

90% of our clothes are in this closet, either hanging or in drawers. The drawer units are actually kitchen cabinets from IKEA. The shoe shelf is from the Container Store and holds about 60 pairs of shoes. The handbag shelves are divided with sweater dividers from the Container Store and file sorters from Office Max.

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (5)

• cynandjon
    15 years ago

Great ideas, thanks for sharing. My WIC is a weird shape. It will be interesting to see what kind of shelves I can find to fit.We havent finished the walls in that room yet.

• mommabird
    15 years ago

OOHH this is a closet to die for! It's GREAT! Thanks for sharing!

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

Love the storage, but is there room for the cabinets on the wall where the long clothing rack is now? I'm thinking that would make a world of difference in how your clothes were accessable. I'm sure you could find brackets to hold up the rods.
    Just a thought since you said the bumpout makes it hard to use.
    ~Becky

• kgsd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Becky, are you suggesting we switch the cabinets with the hanging rack on the bottom wall? That's a good thought. The reason we did them this way is that the cabinets require at least 2' of clearance in front, to be able to pull out the drawers. That would reduce the amount of hanging space on the back wall, and would mean that the closet door has to be all the way open or closed to be able to open the drawers in the cabinet closest to the door.

I don't really love the back wall (the top of my diagram). It's pretty hard to get to the stuff behind the cabinets, in the very corner. But fortunately, I don't have that much long hanging stuff so I can use that back corner for formal gowns, suitcases, etc.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

Yes, that is what I meant. Ofcourse not knowing the measurements of the walls or how the cabinets attach to the walls I was only guessing if it would work.
    If you could add the measurements of each wall and the cabinets to you diagram (and if the cabinets can be separated their separate sizes), I can see what I can come up with. I love space management. It's an obsession with me. Could be from having to pack so often for cross country moves and wanting to make the best use of space, or the fact that I've just always been obsessive compulsive about many things. Whatever reason I'd like to try to come up with something to help if you like!
    ~Becky