Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just found this forum!

Posted by bristlingacres (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 07 at 8:27

Hi!

I just found this forum and it seems just the thing I've been looking and hoping for!

Over the past few years I've been trying really hard to go through stuff that my family left behind. The first house dh and I lived in was my family's old house and my family had left and they left all their junk and trash too! It's been an uphill battle all the way. Now we've moved to a different state and moved some of that junk with us. Slowly it's getting to a more manageable size.

We put in shelving units in the basement and now the boxes are slightly more organized (plus I'm still tossing stuff). It's not an ocean of boxes anymore!

Right now I'm having the most trouble figuring out what to do with all the toys we have. We have two dds (ages 4 and 1) and even when the toys are put away it still looks awful. I have something like this:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-1013254-0340620?asin=B000CSPO1A&AFID=Nextag&LNM=B000CSPO1A:Natural_Storage_Bin_With_Solid_Bins&ref=tgt_adv_XSN10001
(I hope that link works).

I'm also looking for ideas to display dds artwork. I've found a couple of ideas online but I'm always interested to see more.

Hope to learn a lot from you all!
Astrid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just found this forum!

Hi and welcome. I'm really new here, too. The system on your link is similar to one Ikea has called "Trofast" that I was thinking of getting for craft supplies. They design is similar, they also have the option of drawers and different size bins. Here's a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Trofast System

o

I haven't invested yet in anything to organize the toys other than the pop-up laundry type basket from Ikea and a soft toy chest. One thing I have to say especially with my youngest (18 months), her big joy is taking things out of the toy chest etc. sometimes more so than playing with the toy. At some point we have to get more organized with the toys but right now it is the adult clutter that is more the problem. Theoretically they (my other dd is almost 3) have a space for all their toys ... it's just about making sure we have cleaning up as part of the bedtime routine which I must admit I have been somewhat slack about.

o

Astrid, I bought the same item that is in your link for my gdd. It seemed like a really good idea at the time but even when it was perfectly organized, it still looked messy. I realized that it was because there were no lids. Eventually, my dd got rid of this system because of this fact. I'd say go with any system that you can close up each container. It will definitely give you a sense of being clutter-free.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here