Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodswell

HGTV nightmare program!

woodswell
17 years ago

HGTV has a new show that is basically my nightmare - two guys pick up things out of people's trash on the curb, refurbish it and then TAKE IT BACK TO THE PEOPLE! AAAAAIAIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! They dump it off, ring the doorbell and hide to watch the people 'discover' their refurbished trash.

I have to say, if I put something in the trash, I want it to STAY there or at the very least, NOT COME BACK. I don't care what they make out of it - I did not want it and do not want it back, no matter what they do with it!

For years I had been loading up junk in the truck for DH to carry to the dump to throw away. When we cleaned out our storage building (a 24x48" 'tool shed'), I found that DH not only had unloaded a lot of that stuff in the tool shed instead of taking it to the dump, he had picked up MORE stuff at the dump and brought it home! Except of course, the bag of silver for our show halters that he was supposed to take to the barn and carefully carried to the dump and left...

Oh the HGTV show - it is called "Junk Brothers".

What do you think?

Anne

Comments (6)

• marge727
    17 years ago

Anne, its like showing "I lost it" where they lose a lot of weight and then taking them on a gourmet cruise for a month.!
    Ich--I used to clean the kids rooms and then dispose of stuff when trash day came --so the stuff didn't come back. I think guys often have standard shift trucks so we can't take the stuff to the dump ourselves.

• rjvt
    17 years ago

I saw a portion of one of those shows. They were making a baby changing station out of a dresser. I was thinking "It would be bad enough to get the dresser you got rid of back (even fixed up). How many people need a baby changing station? And if they wanted it done, couldn't they think to do it themselves?" I agree. I don't think this show will be long lived.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Well they'll never be filming here I guess. Nobody ever throws out anything good here and plus if it doesn't fit in the special trash cans, they usually don't collect it so stuff winds up on the side of the road and vacant lots.

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I watched part of it one time. The idea of making something from Curb finds is one thing but they have a lot of nerve putting it back on someone's property. It was junk to the people who threw it out and it is still junk.

• jenathegreat
    17 years ago

I like the idea of making stuff out of junk - but I agree that putting it back is a horrible idea.

They made a bar out of something (old console tv I think) and took it back - complete with keg fridge and tap. It looked neat (a little too gaudy to put in my own home, but it was cool)

But all I could think of is what if these people are Baptists (or some other non-drinking religion) or worse, recovering alcoholics?? They know NOTHING about the people and they're spending all this time and money creating something that the people may actually HATE.

It'd be better if they sold the new stuff at a flea market and just gave the old owners a snapshot of the new thing.

• netshound
    17 years ago

See, now I LOVE the show!! The people's reactions are hysterical! If that ever happened to me and I really did'nt want the item back, hey, the guys just made it an awesome one of a kind piece...I'd sell it and make some $$$!!! I love the show!

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm