Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemteacher_gw

Looking for Rubber Bed Garters

chemteacher
15 years ago

I am in search of a specific type of bed garter to keep the sheets on my bed. The ones I have are older and are in need of replacing. They are similar to the elastic ones sold in Walmart but are much larger and the band is actually a round piece of rubber. Has anyone seen these available anywhere? Stores? Online?

Comments (21)

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

These from the Vermont Country Store are not exactly what you describe, but they do the job you want done...take a look and see if they work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed garters

• sheesh
    15 years ago

I use those straps, too, and they work great - never come off the sheets nor the sheets off the beds and they last for years. I buy them at K-Mart and JCPenney. Have never seen what I imagine you're looking for.

I have both waterbeds and regular beds and use flat sheets and garters, not fitted sheets, for the bottom sheet on all of them.

• waterbedguru
    15 years ago

This might help harmonynpeace. As a thirty five year veteran of selling and servicing waterbeds you might try the following hint. Most folks make a common "mistake" when putting on waterbed sheets whether they use fitted or flat sheets. When you pull your hand straight up to get it out from underneath the tucked corner of the sheet and mattress, much of the sheet comes up with it and it is almost certain to become untucked. Instead, be "sneaky" and slide your hand, with palm still open, along the side of the mattress as you pull your hand out. This motion tends to secure the tucked sheet corner even more instead of pulling it out. After you have done this a few times it becomes second nature and in fact you will need to tug pretty hard to remove your sheets for laundering. I hope that this has helped.

• jannie
    15 years ago

I used to have so much trouble with sheets coming off my bed, especially on my DH's side. Tried those elastics. About a year ago, I bought a new mattress set, they are the thick set that needs "deep pocket" sheets. These sheets, amazingly, stay put!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

I have a couple sets of those exact garters -- bought them years and years ago and I agree -- they're great. I know one set came from either Sears or Penneys, but I haven't seen them lately. I use them on summer sheets. For some reason the flannel winter sheets seem to stay better.

• okbookwoman
    15 years ago

I've had those same straps for years! The rubber straps kept breaking and I just shortened them by knotting the end. Then they got too short to do any good. My husband had the great idea of replacing the rubber straps with bungee cords. They work well,except for a small bulge where the cord is knotted. I'd love to find new ones.

• socks
    15 years ago

I had a set of those, and they were great. They broke over the years, and I have never seen them again.

I tried some made of elastic, and they were not very good.

• mommabird
    15 years ago

I finally found a way to get the sheets to stay on my kids' beds!!! When I bought them flannel sheets for winter, I bought a size too big. I bought King for the Queen bed, and Queen for the Double bed. The bottom sheets are staying on because they go way, way under the matress.

• peggy555
    15 years ago

I found a new type of thing to keep my sheets on my bed and I love them! I found them at Bed,bath and beyond and they are called sheet huggers. They run about $6 for the set and they really keep my sheets on! They look flimsy, but they really work.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

Peggy, what do the sheet huggers looks like? In case there is another brand.

• anncrotts
    8 years ago

I too am looking for the rubber bed garters from Walmart. Mine broke 2 years ago and no one else knew what I was talking about. If you found them again, please post so that I can purchase some. They were the best that I ever found. Thx

• talley_sue_nyc
    8 years ago

The sheet huggers are a blue triangular corner piece that sits on the mattress and, due to its rough, foamy texture, resists sliding on both top and bottom. I haven't tried them, but I found this pic:

Here are the rubber bed garters, without the metal "mitten clasps," but with the "stocking garter" effect. They're at a waterbed store.

But they are the "across the corner" kind, NOT the "anchor hidden deep under the mattress" kind that rocknroll_hippie_yahoo_com was talking about.

http://www.boydwaterbeds.com/Blue-Magic-Waterbed-Supplies.php

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    8 years ago

The sheet huggers that talley sue pictured right above are what I have used now for several years. They work perfectly. Much better than the garters ever did. The garters actually ripped my sheets a couple of times, and they can be hard to get on, or get on the right way so that they work. It is hard to believe the sheet huggers work, but they do. I think I found them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

When you change your sheets, though, they tend to stay with the sheet, and could get accidentally washed along with them. So check when you take your sheets off.

• dragonsanddreams
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I still have a set of these, and they are indeed awesome. I stopped using fitted sheets altogether years ago and just use two top sheets, so the garters are critical.

The only problem is that gremlins keep stealing the fasteners, sometimes for months at a time. Then one day the missing one appears again, even though I have scoured the base of the mattress many times. (I am a firm believer in gremlins because there's just no other explanation.)

If something really comparable ever shows up again I will buy at least 2 more sets!

PS: I can't imagine using those straps that go clear under the mattress and cross in an X on a waterbed. You'd have to empty the mattress to install them! It's ridiculous that they are advertised as being "perfect" for waterbeds.

• dragonsanddreams
    8 years ago

I found these, they might work: http://www.mysuspenders.com/sheet-straps.htm

• brenda_mckinsey62
    7 years ago

I just had to throw mine away. Long story but they absorbed A mildew smell that I could not get out. I wish I had the name of the manufacturer who made them. They r so awesome

• brenda_mckinsey62
    7 years ago

Here's a picture of them in b/w.

• HU-75567603
    5 years ago

I have been looking for these also, just found a set on eBay finally.

• HU-75567603
    5 years ago

Looks like there is someone else selling another set on eBay if anyone is looking for them still.

• earl gunther
    3 years ago

I'm still looking for these and haven't been able to locate them on eBay or anywhere. Could you post the link, please?