Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serendipity

Posted by joann23456 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 08 at 22:20

I am trying to clear out my office (and it's a mess) in preparation for a family visit. I have people over all the time, so the first floor of the house is in reasonable shape, but not the second.

Anyway, one of the things that has given me agita is the many cables and wires from electronic and computer equipment. I hate to throw them away, but have no use for them.

This afternoon, I happened to be talking to a friend and mentioned this to him, and it turns out that he keeps all this sort of stuff. He, unlike me, has a use for them, though. He takes computer equipment that his business is getting rid of (giving away to employees) and puts together computer systems that he gives to a number of charitable organizations in the area.

I was *so* pleased about this. I've handled these cables a dozen times, at least, unable to toss them but unable to use them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serendipity

Nice! We should all find more perfect solutions like this one.

o

I put mine up on freecycle and a guy does that also. Nice to know.

o

DD50 - I never thought of this. What a good idea.

o

Check your local Craigslist too. There's always someone on ours asking for old computer stuff. Make sure if you give them a computer that the hard drive is removed becuase it's never never completely delete of personal information. There are ways to restore anything deleted.

o

Our Goodwill has a store dedicated to computer stuff. They love getting this sort of thing!! I told our IT manager about it, so the company that I work for takes truckloads of equipment to them....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here