Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mi_z5

True Confession - Magazine Madness

Julie_MI_Z5
17 years ago

I subscribe to ONE magazine, plus several newsletters for different organizations. I read them all and consider them valuable resources. Other than that, I don't buy magazines (saves on paper piles around the house).

WELL GUESS WHAT?? In a fit of pure madness the other day, I subscribed to two magazines! Neither one was expensive. And what are they called? I have no idea. LOL I think one was about the Civil War, not sure on the other. I'll know it when I see it.

I was obviously wanting something fun to read the day that magazine solicitation came in the mail. Must have been all the waiting room magazines I read when DS was in the hospital. I was having withdrawal. ROFL!

And here ends my true confession.

Comments (20)

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

Julie - We have all done that, sometime or another. Recycle them; My neighbor went on a subscription binge and now gives me the mags when she is finished. I go through them then take them to the hospital, dr's office or Senior center. Someone can always get some use out of them.

Carol

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

Bad Julie, baaaddd Julie. I'm down to three subscriptions, but those gardening magazines at the checkout get me this time of year. I'm a sucker for the pretty pictures.

I like how on the savings oriented boards the suggestion is always to read magazines at the library. Like my three little would sit still for a few hours while I browse those pretty pictures? I don't think so.

Enjoy, enjoy (just don't forget to get rid of them.)

Gloria

• marie26
    17 years ago

Julie, there must be something in the air. I have been getting 2 subscriptions for years. One is Consumer Reports, which I told DH to not resubscribe because I don't read it from cover to cover anymore. The other is Newsweek, which I do look forward to.

Just this week, though, I got two requests to subscribe and I did. One is Gourmet at a ridiculously low price and the other a cooking magazine that said by subscribing I will get products to try out and keep. I have no idea if this is a scam or not but they did send me a gift and will send me another 2 that will pay for the $12.00/year.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gloria,

You reminded me of something funny. When the boys were small (too young to be alone in the kids area and too young to last long in the adults section), there was one summer I think I read everything in the R-S section. It was at the end of the row of shelves, and that's about as far as I could go carrying a baby and dragging of a 5 year old.

I do share magazines, but it *is* another entry on the to-do list. LOL

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

Julie, can we say Young Adult Fiction? Right next to the kid's section and meant for the upper grades and teens. And they are really good books, too. I'm partial to Avi as an author. Nice thing is, they are good stories, usually written on a 5-6 grade level and they move fast. I can go through a dozen a week if I'm not careful.

Obviously, we ought to get off this computer anyway. Quiet day here. 12 yo at violin camp, 22 yo at work and the other two are down the street playing. A bit to rainy to work in the yard. The perfect excuse to spend all afternoon dinking around.

Gloria

• jannie
    17 years ago

I subscribe to only three, Conumer Reports, Womens Day and Family Circle. The last two becaust they're cheap ,like $9 per year. But I'm also a sucker for magazines at the checkout. I bought a Star last week because I just had to read the story about Johnny Depp's secret life. On Oprah there was a woman who admitted she spends $1000 a year on magazines. Maybe I should start keeping track of mypurchases. I do pass them along after I read them. I brought a big box of old mags to the hospital waiting room a few weeks ago.

• lowspark
    17 years ago

I'm a major sucker for any magazine that is $12/year or less. I figure for that price, it's so cheap, how can I pass it by!? The only ones I keep though are the ones that have ideas for decorating/remodeling that I might use in the future. For a while I kept every mag which had a kitchen article (most of them do!). Now I'm looking at bathrooms (those are fewer and farther between) and family rooms. The rest I give away to Purple Heart or whoever comes to my door.

I'm always looking for decorating ideas in mags and have actually gotten lots of good ideas from them. Plus I tear out recipes that I might someday make (don't ask how big that pile is). So on top of subscribing I also buy used ones at garage sales and library book sales. I can't help it! Like I said, I'm a SUCKER!

• marie26
    17 years ago

This week, I finally threw out 3/4 of my stack of magazines and almost all of my catalogues.

I did, however, subscribe to 2 new magazines, something I haven't done in years.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I used to buy a lot of garden magazines. Then I realized that for the same money, I could buy a garden book with LOTS more info at the book store. Then I realized I had too many garden books and had to give my least favorite ones away. LOL

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

Some libraries or GW or whatever have magazines for 25 cents or so. You can cut out pictures without feeling guilty :-)

Carol

• jannie
    17 years ago

My library has garden magazines and they save the past 12 months issues. Also they have plenty of gardening books, all for free. I realize it's crazy to buy those magazines. The information never changes. Amend your soil, keep weeds down, plant for sun an shade,etc. The photos and diagrams are all that change.

• marie26
    17 years ago

When I threw away my stack of magazines last week, I quickly went through them first to see if there were any articles worth cutting out to read later.

Then, I noticed at the checkstand that the covers of the recent magazines were almost identical to the ones I just threw away. I guess the subject matter in them keeps getting recycled.

• jannie
    17 years ago

My teen daughter gets five teen magazines a month. Elle, cosmo girl, teen people,etc. She reads each one, then passes it along to a friend or leaves them at the nail salon. She's a girly-girl and gets manicures and pedicures regularly. I'm just glad she reads something/anything even tho it's trashy articles like "the best jeans", "my boyfriend cheated on me",etc. She has all the Harry Potter books too.

• missourimomtotwo
    17 years ago

I'm new to this forum, (usually over at Building a Home or Kitchens), but had to respond to this.

NOT trying to "enable" what some might consider a vice, but if you're like me and just love magazines... I stopped the two or three mags I was getting after we moved. Then on vacation I bought several new ones that I thought I might be interested in, read them cover to cover, and picked three. Then found a website that you can order subscriptions through for cheap (I'm talking like $4 and change for a year of Women's Health, etc) I figure I usually buy a mag or two at the checkout line, so for that same cost I get it all year long now - guilt free!

• jannie
    17 years ago

I have a funny magazine story. I ordered Womens Day for $10 for a year. Hey, that's only 80 cents a month. And they're what $1.49 at the grocery check-out? Anyway, the card said "bill me later". I got the bill , paid by check, then came another bill. I was in robot-mode, sent another check. This kept happening. Then I checked the magazine when it arrived and see my subscription goes until 2010!

• krustytopp
    17 years ago

Five years ago, my husband got one of those package deals where you get 6 magazines for a lower overall price. He paid a monthly fee for the first three years and the subscriptions continued to varying durations. I am so looking forward to receiving the very last magazine next month. DH hasn't read most of them.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

In my area the magazines on the impulse racks are now covered by white plastic sheets so as not to taint the minds of the younguns (I guess).
    Wonder how long that's going to last.

I remarked at how it would make more sense if the parents protested that they covered up the candy rather than the magazines since that will rot teeth and create bills down the road whereas an embarrassing picture of Oprah is not going to harm the child.

• artmom
    17 years ago

I had been feeling guilty of keeping so many decorating magazines. I would gather them up to take somewhere but couldn't part with them. I finally gave up trying to get rid of them, bought several of those bins for magazines and found a home for them in my craft room. So glad I did cause now I'm a kitchen designer and actually need them and since they are a reference for my job the guilt is gone. Shoot, I may even buy a few more!

• marie26
    17 years ago

I bought a Woman's Day yesterday for the first time in a long time. When did it go up to $2.79?!!? This was supposed to be a cheap magazine.

• pinkcarnation
    17 years ago

I admit it! I am a magazine junkie! I cannot pass up a beautiful cover on a gardening or decorating mag! Just the other day, I got a deal for 4 different yearly subscriptions for 2 bucks each, and I couldn't help myself! One is for Womans Day (I think) and I don't recall what the others are! It is a sickness....shame on me!!