Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bookcase with Glass Doors

Posted by kanu (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 20:03

Can someone reccommend where I can buy a Bookcase with glass doors.
Finish : Cherry or Mahagony
Budget: <500$
Size : 5/6 shelves & 12" Deep & 36: Tall

If it is in a retail store that will be great so I can checkout the quality & construction as I intend to put this in the living area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bookcase with Glass Doors

Retail is hard for us to recommend. Bcs I have no idea what sorts of stores you have.

But you might look into a unfinished furniture store.

These guys charge less than $200 for a small bookcase w/o moldings and only a little bit more for a bookcase w/ a little bit of molding on top and sides.

And their glass doors are only $99. These are glass only--no wooden frame. A plate-glass store might help you w/ similar doors. And you could find out what the unfinished-furniture place would charge you to make wooden frames (and either they could supply the glass, or you could have the plate-glass place supply the glass which might be cheaer).

These guys are local to me, and they're a chain, and in NYC, so I don't know how their prices compare to unfinished-furniture places elsewhere.

But bookcases are the simplest thing for such stores to make. And that furniture is generally VERY sturdy.

Mail-order options are easier for us to recommend. I've had good luck w/ inexpensive furniture from Home Decorators Collection catalog. Even the assemble-it-yourself stuff has been fine in terms of quality. Not fine furniture, but I'm not embarrassed to have it in my living room.

http://www.homedecorators.com

o

I have a question, but don't want to hijack your thread. Do you want glass doors because of dust?

o

We have what you are describing, but DH made it in high school. Our is technically a trophy case, so maybe it would help to refer to it as that. I don't much like it for books though because the doors aren't meant to be opened and closed often. I suppose if they had a different handle it'd be easier.

o

Costco featured a bookcase with glass doors that was about $500. If you or a friend are a member, try their online resources.

o

I did check Costco website. I coul't find any bookcase with doors. Can you tell me which category it is listed under. Better will be a link.

My 5 yr twin girls are crazy for books. Any kind of books they like to page thro' for days looking at the pictures. We have a big collection of art, cooking books that we use once in a while. I want to keep them away from the kids. Hence the doors.

o

IKEA has a line of bookcases with doors called Billy. I installed and connected 3 of them together on one wall and I put 6 glass doors. Relatively cheap but look quite nice. I think I paid a total around $600. But it does require assemply (one afternoon for me) and maybe two adults (me, my wife) to raise and line them up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here