Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinag_gw

Need idea for ring to store swim team ribbons

christinag
17 years ago

Hi there--It's that time of year again, where my house is inundated with the kids' swim team ribbons. I'm looking for a way to keep them organized and thought about threading them onto a large ring of some sort (the ribbons have a grommet at the top with an eye in it). Ideally the kids could flip through the ribbons and see their improvement (or not!) as the season progresses.

Does anyone have a suggesion for what kind of ring to use? I was thinking of binder rings (the ones that snap closed), but I've only been able to find them up to 3 inches in diameter. Split rings (the kind used for keyrings) wouldn't work very well--too hard to get the ribbons on). I'd love some other creative thoughts...

Thanks and glad to be a part of this group!

Christina

Comments (9)

• susi_so_calif
    17 years ago

I've got a ring about 8" in diameter that was sold for use with scarfs. Might work for you.

• lazy_gardens
    17 years ago

A belt-holder ring? Check closet accessories

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

My belt-holder ring is way too thick to slide through the grommet--it's double wide.

Can you just use wire to make your own loop of some sort? Maybe take a clothes hanger, and make something that'll slip over the clothes rod?

• willsgram
    17 years ago

Don't know how many ribbons you're talking about, but years ago, when my daughter was bringing home ribbons from horse shows, my husband stretched a length of wire across her room (near the ceiling) and she hung them up there. By the time she finished riding in shows there were wires on three walls. She enjoyed displaying them and it kept them in an organized spot.

• christinag
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone for your thoughts--I'm going to look into making my own ring with a clothes hanger. I did find some large cable-style key rings that I will also check out. Thanks again for your time!

Christina

• Adella Bedella
    17 years ago

Check out the craft section in Wal-Mart or a big hobby store. I think I've seen bigger metal rings. Also, what about a wooden hoop like quilters use?

• KristinMary_cox_net
    12 years ago

I put my kids on a wire from Ikea... Similar to another Mom but with little tiny clothes pins........

• ottawa4
    12 years ago

Another idea is to stitch the ribbons onto a small pillow case. I had them fan out diagonally into a sunburst type pattern and it's displayed on DS's bed. In my other son's room, I created a collage with an inexpensive IKEA frame.

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Here in Florida, nearly everyone has a pool and thus, has a styrofoam safety ring. Use some straight pins and pin the ribbons all around the safety ring - doesn't take up much space, can be hung from the wall or the ceiling and will be quite attractive. A swimmer's body surfing board would work, too.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022