Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_bc

Shorts Anyone ??

holly_bc
17 years ago

Seems silly doesn't it. :-)) I always have a problem storing shorts - I don't mean guys gaunch - just regular shorts we tend to wear during the summer - both guys and gals. They seem to take up sooo much drawer space if they are left full length but look so untidy (on you) if one folds them all up.

I can get three rows of various tops/t-shirts & sweat shirts in one drawer and max the space. The minute I try to fit in shorts (full length), space is wasted and it all becomes a painful frustration. I don't have so much space I can afford for the shorts stuff to take up an entire drawer.

What do you guys do with them? Inquiring minds are looking for a better plan. :-))

Ciao H

Comments (22)

• crazykwilter
    17 years ago

Hang 'em!

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

I fold mine but I keep them on a shelf so I got plenty of real estate for them to live for the 9 months of the year that they are collecting dust.

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

I move a few pair of jeans into some storage in the laundry room. Short summers here, so the shorts go in the laundry room for the winter and the jeans move back. Only takes up six inches, but just makes it easier for me to find what I want. I don't want anymore dressers in the bedroom so I keep a spare in the laundry room for the "grow into" clothing, ski gear and stuff like that.

Gloria

• Julie_MI_Z5
    17 years ago

I also hang up shorts and swap them out for the winter/summer switch.

This month I realized I don't need more than 4 pairs at the most. I work full time so only wear them in the evening and on weekends. Bye-bye shorts that aren't my favorites!

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I "file" my seasonal clothes in my two barrels mostly. I am going to try those space bags for blankets.
    I have two barrels that I have in two corners and they have long cloths over them and lamps so they look like decor.

• Plow_In
    17 years ago

I just hang mine on hangers, using clothespins. DH folds his and stores them in his dresser. In the winter, they get packed in storage tubs. And just like Julie, I got rid of several this spring, and am planning another "go-through" in the fall (or maybe sooner). And what is really surprising is that I realized only yesterday that I forget where I put my summer slacks. You can tell I don't go out very often!

• jannie
    17 years ago

I pare down my clothes from time to time. Three pairs of shorts is enough. I own three pairs of jeans-one for dressing up or going out (even just shopping), sloppy for around the house and dumpy for painting and other messy chores. And I cut the legs off my jeans when the knees get holes,turn them into around-the house and yard shorts.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Doesn't anyone use shorts in the winter though? I use them some days when I'm lounging around indoors.

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

quirkyquercus, you've got your heat up higher than ours if you can run around in shorts in the winter. I don't really have lounging clothing. As a mom of four, between work and the kids I don't lounge much. I love our cool summers and as my legs are starting to get that middle aged veiny look on the back, I don't even wear them much in the summer.

Gloria

• Julie_MI_Z5
    17 years ago

NO shorts in our Michigan house in the winter! Our house is cool enough to always need a sweater or sweatshirt over a turtleneck. LOL

Hard to imagine being cold tonight... it's 95+ degrees outside and I'm in a house with no air conditioning.

• jenathegreat
    17 years ago

quirkyquercus, yes, we use shorts year round. And not because our heat is turned up high! Winter isn't very cold in Houston and even when it gets near freezing one week, it will likely get up to 80 a week or two later.

My shorts are folded and on a shelf, but I think I may change to hanging them up after reading this, don't know why I never considered it before, since it's one of the few things I fold! Of course hanging up "nice" shorts seems reasonable, but hanging up my grungy "paint" shorts just seems odd, so I guess I'll have to keep a little shelf space for them.

• Adella Bedella
    17 years ago

I put my shorts on a shelf and the kid's in drawers. I hang the bigger stuff like pants and shirts.

We wear shorts here in New Mexico in winter too. Winter coats and gloves are the bigger problem since we only need them a few days out of the year. I wear sandels almost year round.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

I wear shorts, at least in the house, all year. I prefer cleaning in shorts. Either way, it's hot enough to wear them every month except December-Feb.

I have them separated into good (as in being seen in public), around the house and gardening/cleaning. The good ones are kept on hangers and the rest on open shelves in the closet.
    I do the same with tee shirts, casual summer tops and jeans.
    Although jeans have even more subdivisions.

• holly_bc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the input everyone!

It seems I've phrased my question incorrectly. What I really wanted to know was what you do with them in the summer! LOL!! My use of the word *store* undoubtedly confused everyone.

The idea of hanging them is a good one although with both DH's and mine, they'd take up a good deal of space. Guess there isn't any magical alternative though. It's either a lot of drawer space or a lot of cupboard space.

Winter storage for shorts, tops . . . is in two large *tubs*. I fold the shorts then as it's no big deal to iron/de-wrinkle those that I take with me on winter vacation.

Thanks for sharing!
    Holly

• marge727
    17 years ago

Just saw something interestng in Target. It was a dresser with two boards that went up and had a hanging pole over. That way you have short hanging space over the dresser. It wasn't a deep dresser so it was meant to go inside a closet. I know that HOme Depot and those stores have closet stuff but this was different, as it looked like something that was easy to put up. I hang my stuff, but noticed when we were traveling that we don't use that many shorts anymore. I wear capris now. Not my husband of course. Be warned--by the time I embrace a fashion its doomed.

• susanjn
    17 years ago

Marge, you probably saw the California Closet stuff at Target. I'm not sure it's meant to be that short. I think they just display it that way. Of course, you could configure it whatever way you wanted.

Here is a link that might be useful: California Closets at Target

• intherain
    17 years ago

I own only a few pair of shorts (mostly running). They are stored on a shelf that is between the two hanging rods.

I do not wear shorts in the winter! Heck, I hardly wear them in the summer unless I am walking (then I wear my athletic shorts).

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

I hang shorts using the wooden pants hangers. Then I twist a long plastic twist-tie into a loop and hang it over the hook of the top pair and then use that loop to hold the next pant-hanger hook, which will have a loop which holds the next one, and so on. From top to bottom, about 8 pairs of shorts will hang in the space of one pair of slacks, with very little wrinkling. Make the loops long enough so the next hangar's hook is below the wooden holders [those clampy things that actually grip the pants' hems].

• Maura63
    17 years ago

Here's a folding tip I resisted for 16 years (and am still trying to come to terms with -- but it makes sense!)

My husband alternates the direction of his folded items: tee-shirts, shorts, polo shirts, boxers, etc.

Typically I fold these items, one of top of the other, into their respective piles, and leave them on the bed for DH to put away. One night I was watching him put them away, and he alternated the direction of his clothes. He claims that they take up less space that way, and I think he is right.

For example -- short-sleeved polo shirts -- he sets a folded shirt down, the next shirt on top would be rotated 180 degrees (not flipped over), the next would be like the first, and so on. A pile of 10 shirts, still face-up, that used to take up a whole draw in height now takes up less space. Same if he places these shirts on a shelf.

Or shorts, assuming they are folded in half -- instead of having all the shorts so that the waists line up one on top of the other, alternate their directions (rotating 180 degrees) and they take up less space.

This way of storage does not LOOK as good as if all the folded sides were facing one direction -- but, it IS a space-saver.

His motto is "form follows function".....

Maura PS -- this tip works well when packing too, unless you are a "roller"

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

Maura, your DH's method also keeps the stack from falling over. That's how I do it when I'm folding, esp. the shorts

• Julie_MI_Z5
    17 years ago

Maura, I agree that it saves space to alternate the shorts, but I need the "visual calm" too (I just didn't know what to call it before today! LOL).

Holly, I really did pare down my shorts stock. Much easier to deal with them now!

Julie-

• bluesbarby
    17 years ago

meldy's idea is good but you can actually buy a hanger (usually made for skirts) that will hold up to 8 skirts or shorts in the space of one hanger. I don't wear shorts, just capris, which I hang. But I can fit alot of skirts in a small area.