Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some notes & quotes from a recently read book...

Posted by brugloverz9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 19:55

When I first started posting over here on the organization forum, someone recommended I read on wabi sabi & japanese simplicity. When searching the library index I found this book and found it very helpful. I thought you might find some of the points in it helpful too. So I thought I would post them.

Book:

"Japanese Style"....Sunimita Lim

"Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."
LeCorbusier

Wabi...is quiet serenity, a silence this is deep and profound-and sometimes mistaken for loneliness. But it is a deep silence that enriches the person with self-discovery"
.... not being trapped by worldly values but finding a transcendental serenity apart from the world.
....the incomplete is clearly more beautiful than the perfect. A deeper beauty in the blemished than in the unblemished.

Sabi is rusticity, and a closeness to the naturalness of nature

Wabi sabi...suggests such qualities as impermanence, humility, asymmetry and imperfection

....Japanese architecture and gardens reflects a universal desire to live in natural harmony with self, others and the world- where the home environment reflects soulful sentiments of simplicity, sincerity, humility and purity that continuously refresh spirit, emotions and body and where every item performs at least one useful function, if not more and it is comfortable to the touch.

" In the East the foundation is in the heart and its inspiration, which to the Western mind, with its emphases on the intellect, must appear very strange, for the Eastern man jumps to his conclusions on wings of intuition" Soetsu Yanagi

Home is not merely a shell of a house. Our dwellings are imbued with our feelings and thoughts with attempts at building and decorating and with using spaces that suit our activities. A home grows, along with its owners and residents, not by grand design but by the small celebrations of everyday life.

Less is more...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some notes & quotes from a recently read book...

Thanks for the notes. I tried to look it up in my local library's online catalog. It's not there, nor in the interlibrary loan catalog. I'm not finding it on Amazon. I wonder why. Oh, it's the spelling. "Sunamita." Even with the corrected spelling, it's not available to me via interlibrary loan. After reading the three reviews on Amazon, I decided that it's not worth buying, just to read it once.

So again, thanks for the notes!

o

maryliz...you are right...my mistake...it is Sunamita Lim
It is a beautiful book with quotes and photos, I had thought to purchase it too...but I won't for now at least.

o

....the incomplete is clearly more beautiful than the perfect. A deeper beauty in the blemished than in the unblemished

So many of us go crazy trying to make everything perfect and it is OK when it is not. The incomplete use to drive me crazy also. I needed to start something and get it done perfect now. I use to struggle with that alot and learned to be a little more patient. Sometimes it does work tho.

I like to take time to sit outside and read a magazine or book or even to take time to watch the birds. Before I use to go out and think about all the weeds that I need to tend to, or the grass will need to be mowed in a few days. I now can sit out there and just be in the moment. That took a lot of practice and sometimes I can still feel myself struggling with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here