Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjr220

Mounting Ikea Algot system questions

rjr220
10 years ago

Is there anyone out there who has used the Ikea Algot system for their closets? I went to the closest IKEA last week, and unfortunately, over a course of 8 hours there was not a sales associate who could answer this question about how to mount the Algot system to the wall.

Are the uprights supposed to be mounted directly to the walls, or is the system similar to the Container Store Elfa system, in which the uprights are suspended by the horizontal suspension rail, which is mounted to the studs and walls? The size of the shelves of the Algot system make it so that the uprights cannot be mounted to the studs themselves (24 inches vs. the 18 inch studs in my house). Obviously, for hanging clothes you would want more than an anchor in drywall. The SA's at Ikea seemed to be truly bluffed by my question.

I've also posted this on the Ikeafans website, but since GW seems to get more traffic, posted here as well.

thank you

Comments (10)

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

That is crazy that the associates could not answer your question. All they needed to do was look at the installation instructions. You can find them online under the product you are interested in. They mount directly to the wall, there is no suspension rail.

Here is a link that might be useful: Algot wall upright installation instructions

• rjr220
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dekeoboe;

Thanks -- I had looked at that particular documentation. However, there is a suspension rail -- it looks like it has the same purpose as the Elfa rail, but on the IKEA website it states that 'The mounting rail helps you hang ALGOT wall uprights evenly and the right distance from each other' and doesn't say anything about it being load bearing.
    Here's the documentation of the mounting rail

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/assembly_instructions/algot-wall-upright__AA-598367-3_pub.pdf

• camlan
    10 years ago

From what I can see on the web site, the suspension rail is not a supporting rail--it is optional and can be used to help you mount the load-bearing vertical support rails evenly.

You can call Ikea and ask them. Someone in the company should be able to answer your question.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Did you see the suspension rail? What is the spacing between the mounting holes? If the spacing matches up to the stud spacing in your house it can be helpful because then you can support everything by screwing it into the studs. (At least that is the way it works with the ClosetMaid system we have.) Otherwise I can't see that it would add any support to the unit.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

According to the assembly instructions, the uprights screw to the wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Assembly instructions

• hacm3828
    7 years ago

Did anyone ever get an answer here? Do the uprights need to be attached to the studs? If so, is the required spacing 24"? And what happens if the studs in your house aren't 24"?

• Andrea Wood
    7 years ago

I need same answer asap. Yes I have the directions but measurements are not included , I only have single unit & thetes not room for suspension rail. Thought I had it but baskets don't slide right so need measurements for the 2 main rails

• dtleonard
    6 years ago

I have also installed the Algot system. The suspension rail is only to support the uprights and to keep them even. However, they should all be either attached to studs or with heavy duty toggle bolts such as the Toggler brand drywall anchors (they will hold hundreds of pounds). Before fastening the wall uprights, attach them to the suspension rail and then attach a pair of brackets with a shelf (or basket) halfway down your wall. With the shelf in place, mark the holes to attach the wall uprights. This is the method the directions give for attaching the uprights to get the appropriate spacing for the shelves, etc. I am very pleased with the system and have had it installed for about 3 years.