Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crnaskater

location brooms, mops etc.

crnaskater
15 years ago

There is a tiny hall (5' sq) off of my kitchen that has a broom closet, door to garage, door to deck, door to half bath. In the top cab I keep swifer stuff, kitchen towels, iron. Bottom has ironing board, broom, mop, duster, trash bags, etc., etc.

I have to keep my pails in the half bath off that hall - no other place except down in the cellar. Stairs are beginning to take a toll and it is enought to have to do the laundry in the basement.

For those in small older homes (no mud room, laundry room, large or 2 car garage) where do you KEEP all this stuff so it is handy????

Comments (2)

• embees
    15 years ago

When we redid our kitchen, we included a section in the "pantry" that had no shelves. It's tall enough to hang brooms/mops, hold a bucket with cleaning supplies (ok for us because there are no children in the house), that sort of thing. That makes it pretty central to the first floor.

Since it's a two-story house, I also keep a smaller stash of cleaners under the sink in the upstairs bathroom and a dustmop in the bathroom linen closet. (Again, no one to get into them - if we had kids, I'd dedicate a high shelf in the linen closet). I've found I'm much more likely to give things a quick once-over if I don't have to "go get" the tools.

Ironing board lives in my sewing room, since that's about the only time it gets used :D

Laundry detergent is on a shelf over the washer/dryer (which are in the dungeon basement, so I understand). I do keep a stain stick on top of my dresser, though, for treating clothes as I take them off and toss them in the hamper. (Not the prettiest decor, but very functional!)

I read somewhere recently that "in the old days" your back porch would've held your broom, mop, bucket, etc. This makes a lot of sense, but is certainly not in line with modern thinking about considering porches to be finished space that should be as decorated/furnished as your living room. (Not to mention, if I had to even step outside in the dead of winter to get the broom, well, our floor would get swept a lot less often!)

• crnaskater
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks embees----I live alone, no kids, and am over 60 so saving steps becomes increasingly important.

I will be finally redoing the kitchen in the Fall. The current mini-closet does work except for the pails and it is not in the kitchen proper.....so I guess it is a keeper.

Eventually I do want to add on a laundry/mudroom/pantry, and then off of that a screened porch. I saw exactly what I want in a past issue of Fine Homebuilding and gave it to my carpenter. But the kitchen redo has to come first.

I also keep cleaning supplies in the bottom of my linen closet as the only upstairs bath only has a wall hung sink - no cabinet. That works okay.

Also, I am always lugging my Kenmore cannister vacuum up and down the stairs. It lives either in a corner of the living room or in the upstairs guest room :) Not pretty for sure but no one comes here anyway.....

I remember old houses having a back porch too. Unfortunately, this house has a screened porch off the dining room and yes, it is too darn cold in the winter to go in and out (and setting the thermostate off!)

Everyone plans these gorgeous kitchens but no one talks about the basic utility things.....

Thanks for responding.