Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally started going thru papers in garage bins

Posted by Marie26 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 17:34

It took me 2 months but today I finally started going through the bins of papers in the garage. I was shocked that one of them that I have been lugging around for years from place to place had mostly old maps and tour guides in it. I had thought there were only trip brochures, etc. in it because some of these were on the top. From that bin, I now have only 1 bag of stuff to keep. I realized, though, that I was really ruthless for the 1st 3/4 of the bin. After that, everything started to be a keep. I still have to go back to the bag to throw some more stuff out. Now I realize why Clean Sweep does their 2-step process when they are going through stuff on the lawn.

There is now one more bin to go thru plus a couple of boxes and a drawer of papers in my bedroom. I will need to be ruthless. I did find that I had organized some of my papers into one bin that I thought held papers to go thru. These papers will definitely help me with a project I've been working on. I thought I had lost them in one of my moves.

It's a good start.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally started going thru papers in garage bins

I was really ruthless for the 1st 3/4 of the bin. After that, everything started to be a keep.

This is valuable info--you'd identified your efficiency level. You're efficient for that long (or through that much stuff). Then, you start to feel remorse, or just get tired.

So don't try to do more than that at a time.

Congrats on your big start--that's terrific!

o

Good point, Talley Sue.

I seem to be the other way. i will skip going through stuff when I run out of time, but at first i seem to want to keep more stuff, and after a while I get kind of hardened and chuck it all!

o

skatiero, my husband usually will just chuck it all. I've actually gone into the garbage to check what he's thrown out.

o

Marie26 - Remember to SHRED, SHRED, SHRED.

o

WELL DONE!!!! :) And an excellent suggestion above -- when you start to notice that you have lost the "groove" -- have a rest or change gears -- and try another activity or bin/box.

And I must say that I am that OTHER way -- at first I will keep things when tackling a box or bin -- and then I get into the "zone" -- and I'm a maniac about getting rid of stuff!!! LOL!!! At the end I can't believe how much "stuff" I had been holding on to!!!! AND the piles that have to be dragged to the large garbage bin!

(just stand well back and throw in chocolate) :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here