Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skatiero

Cover me, I'm goin' in......

Katie S
18 years ago

Into my dungeon/office/art studio that is! We ahve lived here for three months and that room is a total catch-all mess!!! It has two sets of floor-to-ceiling shelves in it, and a deep closet under the stairs. The closet is so deel and has these little shelves just across the back. I wish I had something on wheels like a cart I could keep in the front part of the closet! I even thought about using a child's wagon or something. Any ideas? The clost is positioned under the steps so that the ceiling slants away from you-- the door to the closet is directly under the door to the top of the steps. Does that make sense?

Wish me luck!!

Comments (11)

• rjvt
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There are all sorts of plastic drawer units on wheels. Would those help?

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

artists carts (what did they call them? carels? no...{{gwi:2001054}}
    like this one

Almost any sturdy cabinet could be put on casters--legs would get in the way, I guess, so you'd want to either get one w/ legs thick enough to hold the caster, or w/ legs SHORT enough that you can fasten the casters to the frame. A "frameless" or "box" construction (like Ikea kitchen cabinets) would be best, I guess.

File cabinets can have wheels. (and of course there are metal ones). A style like the one here would be nice--use those shallow drawers to lay the hammer and screwdriver in; put compartments (baskets or plastic containers) in the deep bottom one to stuff cleaning cloths in, or set the cleaning fluid in; leave room at the back for the dustpan...

And look for OTHER "home office" type furniture, because often they have wheels (and a drawer and door)

Kitchen islands and kitchen carts have wheels, plus convenient storage breakdowns (drawers, doors, open space...) Get one with a towel bar on the end, and you can pull it out (though I'd think you'd want to it face front, so you can access it while it's inside). Also, if it looks nice enough, you could pull it out to be a buffet now and then, even if cleaning stuff is stored inside.

Some carts are very open, and there are a href=http://www.searshomecenter.com/HomeCenter/prod_display1.asp?Product=72371&partner=58&clktru=1>chrome or white wire carts, of various sizes and heights.

Regarding the slant--as you're looking in the closet, the ceiling is high at the front, and slopes down toward the back? pretty common--and yeah, those ARE deep.

Whatever you stash back there, make it something you seldom use, but that WHEN you use it, you'll want it bad enough to get it out (i.e., not cookie cutters if you'll say, 'heck, i'll do drop cookies' rather than get them out; I'm thinking, extra appliances shouldn't go there)

You might want to consider getting something like that wire cart above or some Elfa product, that's long and skinny to go in the middle. And then put shallow shelves on one or both sides. Maybe shelves on one side, and hooks, etc., for brooms, vacuum, etc., to hang on the other?

Good luck! That sounds like a challenge--infrastructure would probably help, but that's always daunting.

• Katie S
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OOOOh, what great ideas!!!!! I had not realized there were so many things with wheels! I have zero money to spend at the moment, but this gives me great ideas for when I do.

Talley Sue (and anyone else who might be interested) here are some photos to my latest project, a 10-foot tall guitar for the music group Brooks and Dunn:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b287/skatiero/

But I have to get my studio set up so I can do more work!!!!!

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

oops--goofed up my hot link to the chrome cart (which is pretty affordable

Some carts are very open, and there are chrome or white wire carts, of various sizes and heights.

Here's one from Target that's only $80--and it's kinda skinny, only 14" wide, so you could use it AND shelves on the side

• janetwilson
    18 years ago

WOW! What a cool guitar!

• alisande
    18 years ago

Katie, that is beautiful! And so are you and your kids.

Susan

• cupofkindness
    18 years ago

Katie:

What a beautiful family you have. Great guitar too.

Cindy

• Katie S
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, y'all!!!!

• Katie S
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cindy, could you email me? Thanks! Katie

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

did you paint that--like the cows and apples? (I saw the other guitars)

That's lovely--lovelier than the other ones, LOL!

(St. Matthews uses the same plaid my kids' school did)

• Katie S
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, thanks! I looooved those school uniforms. Our new school here in GA has no uniforms, what a bother.

I did three horses for Louisville and the guitar for Nashville musicians Brooks and Dunn. What fun projects!