Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing outdoor cushions

Posted by rosesr4me (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 14:59

I just bought a patio set and need to store the chair cushions and one chaise cushion during rainy weather. Any ideas on a good way to store these bulky cushions without getting them dirty/dusty? I have thought about those outdoor boxes, but they are not watertight, and besides, expensive! Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing outdoor cushions

Everyone I know either brings them in or has them in a box outside.

o

Garbage-bag them and hang them from the rafters in the garage

o

Salena - do you actually do that???
I think it would be terribly inconvenient to bag and hang them (going up and down ladders???) on a routine basis. It rains a few times a week here - that's a LOT of effort!

o

I suppose wind could be a problem, but, what about this?

get some cheap vinyl tablecloths, or maybe vinyl itself, and some inexpensive spring clamps, or even a bunch of clothespins.

Drape the furniture w/ the vinyl tablecloths, and keep it from blowing away w/ the spring clamps or clothespins.

then, the thing you're moving around (and storing between times) is less bulky.

(I wonder if Salena was reacting to the title of the thread and thinking off-season storage, and didn't notice the "only when it rains" part of the question?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocodile Clips for grill covers, pool covers, etc.; slightly cheaper, 2 for $3

o

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Salena - I like the hanging idea! This would work for me because my cushions tend to be stored for long periods, especially in the summer (very humid, wet, and high UV here in FL). I am thinking about stringing them (bagged) somehow on a cord across ceiling beams, then just unhook one end of the cord and they would slide off. May not even have to use a ladder if I use a broomstick with a hook screwed into the end to unhook the cord.

talley_sue - your idea about clipping them would work well for the winter months here. Hadn't thought of such a simple idea.

Thanks for jumpstarting the thought process!

o

Only one thing: you don't want those cushion inside something too airtight; you may end up w/ mildew.

o

I bought a pool deck box for about $50 and use that for storing cushions, including wintertime stoorage.

o

The deck boxes usually *are* watertight. I just bought one that I'm using for BBQ and gardening stuff, but the tag showed patio furniture cushions in it. It was about $50 and just snapped together without tools; as the summer wanes you can probably find them cheaper on sale.

o

Thanks jannie and lovesummer - I will have to revisit the deck boxes. The ones I saw were $200 - way too nice for my budget!

o

I purchased covers for my furniture. Flies and other bugs go under them and die. And also leave spots on the furniture. I bring them into my gezebo. But I also think the deck boxes are the best bet.

o

I'm thinking of hanging them on the screened-in porch on a line of hooks, or pegs...easy to get at. And while they're still new and nice looking!

o

How do you plan on hanging those cushions?
Will you be sewing loops on them all?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here