Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosesr4me_gw

Storing outdoor cushions

rosesr4me
16 years ago

I just bought a patio set and need to store the chair cushions and one chaise cushion during rainy weather. Any ideas on a good way to store these bulky cushions without getting them dirty/dusty? I have thought about those outdoor boxes, but they are not watertight, and besides, expensive! Thanks in advance.

Comments (23)

• western_pa_luann
    16 years ago

Everyone I know either brings them in or has them in a box outside.

• salena
    16 years ago

Garbage-bag them and hang them from the rafters in the garage

• western_pa_luann
    16 years ago

Salena - do you actually do that???
    I think it would be terribly inconvenient to bag and hang them (going up and down ladders???) on a routine basis. It rains a few times a week here - that's a LOT of effort!

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I suppose wind could be a problem, but, what about this?

get some cheap vinyl tablecloths, or maybe vinyl itself, and some inexpensive spring clamps, or even a bunch of clothespins.

Drape the furniture w/ the vinyl tablecloths, and keep it from blowing away w/ the spring clamps or clothespins.

then, the thing you're moving around (and storing between times) is less bulky.

(I wonder if Salena was reacting to the title of the thread and thinking off-season storage, and didn't notice the "only when it rains" part of the question?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocodile Clips for grill covers, pool covers, etc.; slightly cheaper, 2 for $3

• rosesr4me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Salena - I like the hanging idea! This would work for me because my cushions tend to be stored for long periods, especially in the summer (very humid, wet, and high UV here in FL). I am thinking about stringing them (bagged) somehow on a cord across ceiling beams, then just unhook one end of the cord and they would slide off. May not even have to use a ladder if I use a broomstick with a hook screwed into the end to unhook the cord.

talley_sue - your idea about clipping them would work well for the winter months here. Hadn't thought of such a simple idea.

Thanks for jumpstarting the thought process!

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Only one thing: you don't want those cushion inside something too airtight; you may end up w/ mildew.

• jannie
    16 years ago

I bought a pool deck box for about $50 and use that for storing cushions, including wintertime stoorage.

• Penelope
    16 years ago

The deck boxes usually *are* watertight. I just bought one that I'm using for BBQ and gardening stuff, but the tag showed patio furniture cushions in it. It was about $50 and just snapped together without tools; as the summer wanes you can probably find them cheaper on sale.

• rosesr4me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks jannie and lovesummer - I will have to revisit the deck boxes. The ones I saw were $200 - way too nice for my budget!

• datura-07
    16 years ago

I purchased covers for my furniture. Flies and other bugs go under them and die. And also leave spots on the furniture. I bring them into my gezebo. But I also think the deck boxes are the best bet.

• janmcdub
    11 years ago

I'm thinking of hanging them on the screened-in porch on a line of hooks, or pegs...easy to get at. And while they're still new and nice looking!

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

How do you plan on hanging those cushions?
    Will you be sewing loops on them all?

• maggiebob
    7 years ago

My husband and I have the same issue. We have in total 20 cushions to bring in when it rains. We are thinking about building a pull-out box with cover under the deck to house the cushions when not it use. If we waterproof it all we are thinking that is where they can stay for the winter. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• PRO
    Maze Living
    7 years ago

There are quite a few places that do waterproof outdoor cushion boxes that are definitely worth the price. I know Maze Living do a Cushion box that is made to last all year round and can fit a hefty amount of cushions in it.

• sloedjinn
    7 years ago

We have a very limited outdoor space, just a small balcony with barely room for a table and two chairs, plus a bench with cushion. I picked metal chair and table with no cushions so I didn't have to worry about taking them in. The bench with cushion got one of those furniture covers for. I wish I had the space for a separate cushion box.

• Jan
    7 years ago

for long-term storage these are the bomb: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10056770/

I also did attach string loops in the zippers and hang some others on these amazing hooks (which close up and 'disappear' when not in use)

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/

a few smaller ones go here

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    7 years ago

I have the same problem, however my cushions are huge...no way can I hang them.....following for ideas!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

If the cushions were properly made for outdoor use (special foam and Dacron wrap), one just turns them on their sides and leaves them out. They quickly dry that way. If they get dirty, power wash them - it's amazing how years of grime wash off.

• Jak Perth
    7 years ago

I only have six cushions and if I need to bring them in I stack them on top of my stacked washer/ dryer. Out of the way and using space that isn't used for anything else.

• wendyyurett
    7 years ago

I'm facing the same thing right now! I think I will try a good Rubbermaid tote while I wait for a good sale on a deck bench. Has to be better than leaving it to the elements right?

• Tressa Rudik-Vargo
    5 years ago

My cushions are HUGE too Can anyone hook me up with pictures that uses tarps that are in a large loop. Attached to the garage wall with pegs You can push the cushions in from the side. If anyone knows of a storage system for large items let me know

• ashandy1
    5 years ago

I am lucky to have an extra coat closet that I emptied and can store them standing up on the floor vertically with a second layer on top of one side. This fits two chaise cushions, three chair cushions, three back cushions and one footrest cushion. Throw pillows fit on the shelf above the coat rod. It feels a little like playing with a puzzle to make it fit, but it has worked for me since 2009 and my cushions look brand new.