Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_houser

Pantry Reorganization

Melissa Houser
15 years ago

I kept looking at ways to organize and stuff to put in my 24 inch deep pantry to organize it. I finally figured out that I didn't need to buy one single thing, I just needed to rearrange it so that the pantry wasn't a two-headed monster.

Hubby built me this huge shelf unit in the laundry room, so I had him put doors on two sections for storage. I also have a section in the middle of those which I use to hold things I don't want behind a door.

{{!gwi}}

Without buying a single thing, I pulled everything out, got rid of old, out-of-date, or "won't ever be eaten here" stuff. Then, I took some of my old organizers (wire baskets and big jars) and redid the entire pantry. Big, seldom-used items were place in the back of the deep shelves, especially on the higher shelves. I consolidated all of my pasta bags into a wire basket in front of the top shelf and put all of the little stuff in other wire baskets at the front of other shelves.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I put things I don't use often behind other lightweight items. The deep fryer, roaster and cappucino maker are at the back of cabinets, which hurricane supplies and storage buckets are at the bottom. I also put my plastic-ware in here because it keeps it corralled.

{{!gwi}}

I adore the shelf in the above picture! It holds up to 60 cans, including a row of taller cans that isn't showing in this picture. I asked hubby to put this on an angle, but he didn't quite get what I was asking, so these don't roll forward. I do, however, fill the shelves by reaching to the back so the oldest cans are always in the front.

I've been using this system for six months now and it works quite well, without spending a penny. It's a shame that I spent six months before that trying to figure out how to redo the pantry when it was finished in under a day.

Comments (7)