Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organizing Freezer Compartment of Fridge

Posted by happylady1957 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 12:17

I would like to better organize the freezer compartment of my fridge. I tend to buy frozen vegs in the bag, as opposed to boxes, and to portion off larger packages of meats. In other words, odd-shaped packages. I've looked online at the Container Store, and don't really see anything helpful. Someone suggested plastic dishpans, but they seem a bit large, if I'm going to segregate chicken from pork, etc. Any ideas? TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organizing Freezer Compartment of Fridge

Just recently someone posted photos of a freezer in sections like you are wanting. Maybe that someone will see your post and post it again!

o

I use plastic baskets in my side-by-side refrigerator/freezer. This is also all the freezer space I have, so I have to maximize it and use it efficiently.

When I pull out the chicken basket, there is an assortment of things all vacuum-sealed flat and "filed" in the basket (raw, cooked, etc.). I have space behind the baskets, and that's where I stack things like homemade sandwich/hamburger buns, or items that are not needed very often (like bulk amounts of yeast). When I do need those things, I can easily remove the whole basket to get to the things behind.

I also have a basket for beef, fruit/veggies, breakfast meats, etc. In other words, put like-things together in one basket.

I try to put as much stuff in vacuum-sealed packages as possible. Vacuum-sealed bags (I use a FoodSaver) will help keep things longer without freezer burn, and you can see at a glance what's in the bag.

If you purchase pre-packaged foods, try to eliminate the boxes. They can be real space-wasters in the freezer. Cut any instructions you might need from the box and file it outside the freezer, or if you repackage in vacuum-sealed bags, just tuck the instructions in with the food (in a sandwich bag - so you don't transfer any ink from the box to the food).

I keep a lot of frozen concentrate 100% juice products in the freezer - stock up when they are on sale. They used to get lost in the freezer until I used a rack designed for holding cans of pop/soda in the refrigerator, and stack the 12-oz. plastic containers on the rack for easy dispensing.

I make lots of foods (soup/stew/chili/stroganoff/spaghetti sauce, etc.) in bulk, then quick freeze them in small containers that are the same size (usually 1/2-cup or 1-cup amounts = single servings). When they are frozen, I pop them out of the plastic containers, stack them and vacuum-seal them in FoodSaver bags. When I need one or two (or more) servings, I remove from the bag what is needed, then vacuum seal the bag shut again. I use rectangle- or square- shaped containers because square things take up less space than round containers.

-Grainlady

o

Wow, thanks guys! Grainlady, I always enjoy hearing of your kitchen prowess - I so admire people who are organized, wish I had that gene! I do hope that someone puts up those photos of the baskets. Thanks again.

o

happy lady, I was not the one who posted pics,but I also use baskets in my top of the fridge freezer. I separate the meats into serving sizes and allocate one basket for pork, beef, etc. I put frozen veggie bags in the door. My freezer is a litte empty now so slightly disorganized but I am waiting for the next good sale!

Just measure your space and get baskets to fit.

Rhonda

o

I found freezer baskets at Lowes. It really helps to have these general categories:

Photobucket

These drawers came with the refrigerator:
Photobucket

This is on the refrigerator door:
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here