Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brugloverz9

Where do you keep your vacuum cleaner ?

brugloverZ9
15 years ago

I guess I have a few vacuums...and can't decide between the front entrance way closet or the linen closet. Otherwise one or so seems to stay out in the corner of the dining room. My SIL asked me the other day if we use the dining room at all or if it is just for storage. I had to think and then said, we use to use it...no more.

I do have a laundry room, maybe I could clear out a spot in there for it/them.

O.K. O.K. I know you are wondering why so many...I seem to collect vacuum cleaners, I am never happy with the one I have, I get a new one but the old one still works and sometimes works better than the new one.

One year right before Fathers day, my DH said, "if I had a vacuum, I would vacuum this floor". So for Fathers day he got his own vacuum from me! I will not use his vacuum as he has to have it clean, clean, clean and I am not about to spend time carefully cleaning it!

Sounds like I have some de-cluttering to do in this area! The vacuums, not my DH ! Well, now that I think about it...

Comments (25)

• alisande
    15 years ago

Well, I'm no help. I like vacuums, and have one in the attic (small, inexpensive--from Home Depot, lightweight, and remarkably effective), one upstairs, and two downstairs. I have the latter two in the pantry, where I trip over them all the time. I guess I don't really need two downstairs . . .

Told you I was no help. ;-)

• donnawb
    15 years ago

I have two that I store in the pantry. When kids use them they don't fit right in the pantry and you trip over them. I have a rainbow that is a canister and an upright that I let the kids use. The upright has a heppa filter and when you use that one it stinks like dog even when I have cleaned it out and have a new bag.

• lionors
    15 years ago

I keep one in the hall closet on the first floor, and a second in the master closet. It just hurt my knees too much to ferry the one vac up and down the stairs.

• bmmalone
    15 years ago

I have one on the main floor of the house in the coat closet (small lightweight) - i only have to large rugs on that floor, everything else is hardwood. Then I have a larger one downstairs for use in the home theater, bedroom and reading area. All of this is carpeted. This one i store in the basement on that level.

• Maura63
    15 years ago

I usually have to track it down in the last room it was used.

Sorry, I'm no help at all!

• elizabethzen
    15 years ago

I keep mine in the laundry room of my one-story ranch. I tried a few closets and corners around the house but the laundry room is working best for me.
    Elizabeth

• quiltglo
    15 years ago

Our house has three full stories and 5 different levels. I keep a vac on our main level and our entry way level. One also upstairs by some of the bedrooms. Our bottom story is just a three steps down from the entry, so I carry the vac I keep in one of the entry closets down there when needed.

I have found purchasing the small, lightweight vacs to be a real help. I would never carry my older, heavy one around much.

We only have one room with carpet, but I still use the vacuums on a daily basis. Having the close and within easy reach makes life so much easier for me.

Gloria

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

My preference would be Cleveland...I hate to vacuum!

The reason I hate it is the stress on my arthritic thumbs, and the noise...so I finally broke down and bought a small Miele canister, because is it light-weight and quiet. I keep this "real" vacuum in the cupboard under my front stairs (where Harry Potter would live if I were his evil aunt)...

Upstairs, I have a cheap Eureka "Boss" bagless upright and an even cheaper Shark rechargeable carpet sweeper, both for regular quick clean-ups around the cat boxes. They are supposed to be in the closet, but too often just sit against the wall in the back office. I don't recommend this. I'm squirreling money away for a second Miele up here, and will continue to use the Shark for the cat litter. Works fine, quick, and quiet.

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

My vacuum is usually conveniently parked in the middle of the next room I hope to vacuum.

• harriethomeowner
    15 years ago

One in the extra bedroom closet, one in the laundry room, one in the garage in our one-story ranch with basement. We have wall-to-wall carpet only in one room, area rugs or bare floors everywhere else. At the moment, none of the vacuum cleaners are working properly. We are in a crisis mode and need to buy another one but have no idea what to get. One of our cat's hair twists itself into yarn on the rollers, and that's why I think they are all going kaput. But $500 for a Dyson Animal? Yikes.

• jamie_mt
    15 years ago

Our Dyson (best gift ever) is in the hall closet with the Spotbot and other cleaning supplies on the main floor. We have an old Hoover in the basement under the stairs - the dogs aren't allowed down there, so that vaccuum works just fine and keeps me from hauling them up and down the stairs.

• Frizzle
    15 years ago

I keep mine in the little corner on the back porch. When the back door is open it creates a dead space from the wall to the hanging cabinets. It sits on the floor with the handle hanging on a hook and above it are the 2 long winter coat hooks.

I have a canister electrolux - LOVE IT!!!

• msgenie51642
    8 years ago

I have two upright vacuums. The one downstairs lives in a remote corner of the living room and the one upstairs lives in a bedroom. That one is convertible to a canister and is great for cleaning under the beds. I don't have any only-canisters (except for a very old one, which has been relegated to the basement), as I feel they are a problem to store, with hoses, wands, etc. all over the place. I live in an old house (93 years old) which is very shy on closets (we did add one in the kitchen) and I don't feel the vacuums are so unsightly that they can't be left out for all to see.

• caroline94535
    8 years ago

I keep my one and only vac in the closet designed and built just for it in an awkard corner of the living room.

DH has two shop vacs; a huge monster that lives in the garage, and this mini-me version that elbowed its way into the cleaning/storage/broom closet.

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

coat closet- in tx, we only use it 2 months out of the year anyway, it's mostly bulky clothes storage.

• cacocobird
    7 years ago

i like vacuum cleaners too. There is a website with a forum that is all about them. it shows pictures, and lots of collections. http://www.vacuumland.org/

• Annegriet
    7 years ago

Walk in closet on top floor, hall closet on main floor, storage closet in family room.

• arbpdl
    7 years ago

I live in an old house with no closets (except the bedroom). My vacuum gets shoved in the pantry, which I then trip over and curse on a daily basis. I wish I had a solution to this problem.

• bleusblue2
    7 years ago

I have a canister -- and the hose is my problem. I used to shove it under the bed. I've got to rig up some kind of door hanger inside the closet ...

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

I have 2 - Rosie the Neato robo vac and my old Dyson. Rosie lives in the spare bedroom snuggled up to her charging station and the Dyson lives in the hall closet. Rosie does 90% of the vacuuming and the Dyson does vertical stuff and furniture vacuuming that Rosie won't do.

• practigal
    7 years ago

I had to buy closet space for the vacuum. I live in an older house with few and small closets, Ikea to the rescue! I have to thoroughly clean the vacuum after almost every use because of the pet fur. The vacuums wouldn't last any length of time if I didn't do that. It may be that that's why you're constantly buying new vacuums.

• katewhitshaw85
    7 years ago

Same with practigal up there, I have to keep a few smaller vacuums around the house because of my two cats. I love them to death, but they both shed enough to make a new cat out of the hair! What I generally do is keep my smaller vacuum downstairs in the little hutch our laundry supplies are in (it's hard to describe - imagine either a very big pantry or a very small laundry room) and keep one upstairs in the room with that exercise bike I never use. I don't know if that helps, but I remember some advice my mom gave me a long time ago - "you never want to store a vacuum near where you eat or sleep", and I think that's a pretty good call!

• Elizabeth
    7 years ago

I have two. One in the upstairs guest room closet ( the only item I keep in there ) and the other in the first floor laundry. They both remain out of sight.

• PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    7 years ago

I would recommend keeping 1 or 2 in the closet and 1 or 2 in the entry way.

Wait a few weeks and see which location feels the most practical, and if it is a tie than keep it as is :)