Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryliz_gw

What are you reading these days?

maryliz
15 years ago

There have been some great book recommendations on this forum lately. Some are specifically about all the stuff that becomes clutter, or the marketing that gets us to buy more stuff. Some are a little more decorating/architecture oriented. Some are about life choices in general. All have some bearing on the way we organize our stuff. So, have you read any good books lately? Have an oldie-but-goodie to recommend?

I just picked up these from the library:

This Year I Will...

How to Finally Change a Habit, Keep a Resolution, or Make a Dream Come True

by M.J. Ryan

The Emotional House

How Redesigning You Home Can Change You Life

by Karhryn L. Robyn & Dawn Ritchie

Personal Village

How to have people in your life by choice, not chance

by Marvin Thomas

I'm also reading a few books about landscaping with native plants. Not at all organizing related, but just to let you know that I do have other interests. ;-P

I just stumbled across an article about "Emotional Architecture." Thought I'd share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emotional Architecture

Comments (6)

• brugloverZ9
    15 years ago

Glanced through the article and will read it more thoroughly later. I love this kind of stuff.

I have been doing mostly the Simplicity reading and the reducing clutter reading. Plus I got some of the other books recommended on this site.

One book that I had on my bookshelves is called "House as a Mirror of Self" I just took it down to re-read as I got and read it some time ago. My only memories from it are what I would call...Mine, His and Ours. Certain areas in the home are one or the other. Mostly how we see the area and how tolerant we are of another invading our space. I will let you know more about it when I read it again.

The books you just borrowed sound very good too. I will be interested to see how you like them. Thank you for your recommendations on other posts too! I will be reading some of them too. So much to read, so much to de-clutter and so much fun to have! I hardly have time to sleep anymore!

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

Yes! Yes! Yes1
    Sorry...I am overreacting to the "Emotional Architecture" article.
    In my years as a designer, before I put pencil to paper the first time, I routinely dragged my clients through a similar process of what, in the trade, is called "programming." I believe absolutely that if you spend enough time asking and answering the right questions, the project will pretty much design itself.
    People do know what they want...you just have to help them dig down through their misunderstandings and half-knowlege and social anxiety about how to get there, and guide them to make the right decisions. And you have to continually reassure them that all the "you can do this yourself!" hype is not true, that they really do have taste in there, that design really is a serious professional discipline, and that they shouldn't expect themselves to be able to do what you and the experienced tradespeople can do.

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

Here are my oldie-but-goodie recommendations:

Marcus, Clare Cooper; "House As a Mirror of Self" - Conari Press, 1995

Conran, Terrence; "The New House Book" - Villard Books, 1985

Wilhide, Elizabeth, and Andrea Spencer: "Conran's Stylish Interiors" - Little, Brown, 1986

Liman, Ellen, "The Spacemaker Book" - The Viking Press, 1977

• brugloverZ9
    15 years ago

bronwynsmom...Glad to see that " House As a Mirror of Self" is on your recommend list...I just took it down from my book shelf & plan to start re-reading it! I thought it might help me to share MY brand new bathroom with my DH's house guest next month! I tend to be very territorial about MY stuff! I read it some years ago but need a refresher.

• maryliz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It was hard to pick just one, but I finally decided on The Emotional House. It is the book that House Thinking aspires to be. I highly recommend it! Everything is well thought out and concise.

• maryliz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am reading The Emotional House with a notebook stuffed in as my place holder. There are all sorts of quizzes and checklists to help me discover my preferences, in case I don't already have a clear idea.

I'm getting together a list of books for my next round of reading. House as a Mirror of Self is not at my local library, but I can get it through interlibrary loan.