Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

Have you had a 'lightbulb' moment?

pammyfay
13 years ago

Have you come across an organizing or storage "habit" that you just realized did not work for you and determined a better way of doing it? Sometimes we do something one way and leave it at that, never thinking of options because there are always other things that need our attention!

Here's one of mine: I used to store extra linens and towels in a hallway closet. Now I have those fabric storage cubbies that hang from the rods in the bedroom closets so that whatever is used in that room is stored in that room. Saves the wondering whether that sheet set is for the queen-size bed or the full-size bed, too. (plus I fold the sheets into one of the pillowcases to make everything tidier.)

What was your lightbulb moment?

Comments (4)

• jannie
    13 years ago

I tend to do things the way my Mother did. No lightbulb moments here. I do follow one general rule:Keep like with like. All cleaners on a shelf in one closet, for example. You just have to be sure to return everything to that spot.

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

Pammyfay I've come to the same realisation and have rearranged things to store them where I use them, things like sheets and bedding in the bedroom, extra cleaning supplies in the kitchen etc and I find that I do much less walking back and forth between rooms to do a simple task and it stops me from putting things off because everything is right where I need it so I have no excuses not to do it right away (and then forget about)

one thing I realised was there were a few things I was always putting away and they would end up migrating back into the LR, like my blood pressure monitor, a dog brush, some hand creme. Not exactly the most decorative items to have lying around but since they always ended up back there I got a small basket to store them in so now they are handy to where I use them but not on display and scattered around like before.

If I find myself doing this walking back and forth I stop and think about it, and move things to where I use them or have extras in the rooms I use them such as cleaning products. It's such a time and hassle saver

• cupofkindness
    13 years ago

My lightbulb moment, come when I must be reminded of the following two things:

1. You can't organize clutter

2. There are actual physical limits to what you can store (eat, spend, etc) based on the home you live in and the space available. Given that, you can only reasonably buy or keep what will fit and that which will not fit, will become a problem, just like eating excess food becomes a problem or spending money or time you do not have becomes a problem. What a concept!

• gayle0000
    13 years ago

I'm in the process of taking our small computer room & making it a library. When I transitioned from desktop computer to laptop a couple years ago, I realized we never went into the computer room anymore because the laptop is portable. Computer Room became storage and was messy all the time.

The Lightbulb Moment: All the office supplies in the computer desk & file cabs were extras. I realized all the pens, paper, scotch tape, scissors, etc. I use at home and grab regularly are kept in my kitchen...either in the junk drawer or the 'drop station' right next to the junk drawer. Any odd occasionally-used supplies...I already have a stash in my messenger bag/netbook bag I use for work travels.

I took all my extra office supplies to my desk at work. That emptied about 90% of the desk right there. I have what I need between my kitchen spot and work bag.

End result...I have emptied an entire desk. Got rid of it, and the office chair. I had two 2-drawer filing cabs & consolidated down to one. I moved that file cab out of the room.

I do not have a home office anymore. I have a library (about 70% complete right now). It feels so good. DD and I now use the room once again.

I was able to move all the books throughout my house into the floor-ceiling and wall-wall bookcases in one room. It works for us.
    Gayle