Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'The cupboard is bare...' ...NOT!

Posted by Alisande (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 05 at 8:53

Looking at my stuffed pantry (I was going to say bloated, but that produces such a nasty image), I realize I could stop buying foodat least the sort that doesn't require refrigerationfor quite some time. But do I want to? I also realize that most of us, myself included, might be uncomfortable with a bare cupboard.

Is this fallout from the old Mother Hubbard nursery rhyme? I know that I keep buying stuff (often in bulk from Sam's Club), and consuming a fraction of it. I must stop this pattern, but I can see it's going to be about as easy as throwing out clothes...in other words, a constant struggle.

Maybe the reward will be spending less money. :-)

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'The cupboard is bare...' ...NOT!

I think this over stuffed pantry thing ( it happens to me too) comes forom the bulk buy ( Sams etc) mentality and not making lists.. I find that I can whittle down the my stock by "shopping in my pantry" .. It actually becomes sort of fun.. I look in there and cull anything past date or that the family ended up hating then look to see what is left.. Ah!... 5 boxes of corn bread mix.. ok.. well it takes two boxes to make enough corn bread for us so lets use that and add a can from the 3 cans of corn.. add a bit of cheese to that and get some nice cornbread for dinner. 6 jars of pasta sauce... Time to have pasta! As I look I make a list of what I have that I want to use and what I need to buy to fill out the meal. As these meals tend to hold a bit heavy to the canned and boxed end of the deal i always make sure to add fresh fruit to these meals.. it balances things out. I am using the same process this week for my freezer.. I noticed a bunch of meat in there.. I made a list of what I had and then made my shopping list to fill it out.. only spent $50 at the store..and we are a family of 8 people!

maddiemom

o
RE: 'The cupboard is bare...' ...NOT!

Yes -- I do the same -- if the pantry/fridge looks bare -- the house just does not fell happy.

So I fill up -- and there are many nights of "eating out the fridge/freezer/pantry"

Fortunately both of us came from families with the same habits so DH is very very used to those announcements!!! LOL!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here