Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kanu_gw

Storage boxes

kanu
16 years ago

Can someone suggest where I can purchase storage boxes of size 18to24" Length 10to11" Width & 11to12" Height.

Width of 10" to 11" is critical as these have to fit inside a closet.

Thanks in advance

Comments (7)

• kanu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to add I am looking for Plastic storage boxes.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

the most well-known companies that make the plastic storage boxes are:

Sterilite

Rubbermaid

Iris (can't find a corporate site for them)

The retail website I most like, and that have the biggest selection, are:

The Container Store

Stacks and Stackes

Organizes-It

Organized Living

A search using Google will find you lots of sources.

And Target, Kmart, and most other places will have a pretty big selection.

Your biggest challenge is going to be the comarison of inside vs. outside measurements. You'll be most interested int he outside measurement.

If you find boxes that are 11.5 inches or something, remember that their widest point is usually a *lip* that sticks out, at exactly the same spot on each box.

I once fit boxes on a shelf by turning the middle one upside down, so that its widest wide spot fell toward the *bottom* of the shelf, where the others were narrower. You could get a similar effect if you put a small platform under one of them, so that the lip was raised above the neighboring lip.

• Plow_In
    16 years ago

My only comment about Sterlite is that it stinks, literally. Even after 2 years of use, I have to wash whatever is stored in it before I can wear the clothes. Rubbermaid doesn't smell.

• quiltglo
    16 years ago

Wonder why you are having that problem, plow? I keep all of my sewing fabric and my old quilts in Sterlite. I don't have any odor at all. Do you suppose you got a bad batch or something? Are you keeping them in a really hot area like an attic? Mine are all inside at room temps.

Gloria

• Plow_In
    16 years ago

Gloria, you could be right about a bad batch. I'm planning on keeping canned goods in it from now on. I can put it in the garage and use it as an extra pantry.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I saw some "modular storage boxes" that were 11 inches wide, by Iris, at the Duane Reade (drugstore chain) near me.

But I don't think you'll find the exact dimensions you want. These were 10 5/8 inches wide, but only about 5 inches tall, and about 12 to 14 inches long.

You may need to stack boxes, in terms of height.

I've never noticed a smell w/ Sterilite--of course, I have no sense of smell, but my *kids* do, and they're the ones who use them.

• james_fhh_com
    16 years ago

I would try this site, very help full:
    http://www.storagesboxes.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Storage Boxes