Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cantmakeadecision_gw

Your dream game room built in.....

cantmakeadecision
15 years ago

I need to quickly design a built in for my game room. A really great cabinet maker is building it, so I can really do whatever I want. The room is quite large, so even a pretty big piece won't overtake the room. The room is 19'6" wide and 34' 8" long. The wall where the built in will be is completely bare except for an opening at one end where the stairs down begin. It's about a 15' wall with a 9' ceiling at that spot. There is a tray ceiling in the room, but the lower part of the ceiling extends a couple feet from the wall. It probably can't go to the ceiling because of the tray. Here are a couple shots of the room:

and this is the wall the built in will go on:

I'm posting this question here, because I'm thinking about this from an organizational standpoint. The room will be used only for fun and games. There will be a game table at the opposite end by the kitchenette, and some seating near the built in. The built in will house a flat screen (not huge, but good sized) the Wii, and Playstation 2, video games, accessories (whatever do you do with Rock Band instruments???) Probably some DVDs, a DVD player and possibly a VCR for those outdated videos will still have, board games and probably some books. I'm thinking mostly drawers on the bottom and cabinets and bookshelves on top, but am looking for great suggestions!

Tell me about your dream built in!!!

Comments (7)

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

You might wrap the unit around the corner, and on that short side, a full-length cabinet designed to house the instruments...peg-board on the back wall with hooks for guitars, floor space for amps and to stand keyboards up on end, and outlets inside to keep amps and keyboards plugged in. If there's a drum kit, just allot floor space in the room (would the space to the right of the unit, where I think I see a window, be a good place?) to keep it set up. (But the best choice is wherever the instruments get used.)
    Then position the TV as far to the right, away from that cabinet, and from the entry door, as is comfortable for your seating arrangement, so that you have enough circulation space to get things in and out. Bi-fold doors might be a good option, so that you have less of a door-swing issue.

• cantmakeadecision
    Original Author
    15 years ago

See, you're helping already! Thanks,bronwynsmom, I never would have thought to take it around the corner. It's probably a corner that would never get used, too!

Keep 'em comin'!
    Anybody? Anybody?

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

If you do go around the corner, I'd suggest using only lower cabinets with counter space at least 18" along the wall to the left and to the right from the corner, with a carousel inside, like in a kitchen corner...otherwise, you lose a lot of space in the corner that you can't get to. I'd wrap the corner with open shelves above, with an angled bit across the corner, for the same reason. And because you have the tray ceiling, take the high cabinets all the way to the ceiling and tie them in by continuing the crown molding and wrapping the units to the wall (as you have done in the kitchenette).

So if you face the short wall and look left to right, first you have a tall cabinet, then next, a counter and shelves wrapping the corner. Then I'd continue with another tall cabinet (drawers below and maybe glass doors or bookshelves above...depending on what you need to store), and then another low bit for the television, with drawers and one open shelf underneath for things that you need the remotes to communicate with. Then another high bit the same width as the first, for balance and scale, but configured to store what you need to store...drawers for games and puzzles, shelves or cabinets, maybe with glass doors and lights inside...whatever suits your life.

If you break it up like that, it won't seem so massive. I would mirror the wall between the counter and lowest shelf in the corner (like a backsplash) to open the space visually, and I would paint the back walls of any open or glass upper cabinets to match the room's walls, which will also lighten the look. I would run one shelf between the two tall cabinets over the TV about 15" from the ceiling, and half as deep as the cabinets (so it won't loom) to pull it all together.

Boy, it's fun to wantonly spend other people's money!

• susanjn
    15 years ago

When you say "Rock Band" are you talking about a real band or the video game?

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

There's a video game???
    I am such a dinosaur!

• cantmakeadecision
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was actually speaking of the video game, but the idea worked anyway - even though there's no amp!

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

Now I want to know all about what you decided to do!

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz