Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dayenu_gw

craft sink area finally done

dayenu
18 years ago

After installing a sink in the mudroom closet for craft things we finally got it organized for silk dying. here is a closeup of the grid my husband hung for me, I left one open space to be filled with more wire baskets.

I stretch and prepare the silk in my sewing room and then can use this area for the resists and dye and setting.

what do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (2)

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

that looks really great!

And your DH helped pull it together--that's neat.

I'm feeling wistfully jealous, and realizing that I need to get my DH to work WITH me on some stuff like this. I just need to figure out how to fix it so he's not just watching, or being ordered around.

It looks like a good system; you'll have to keep us posted on how it actually works for you, whether you need to tweak it much, or whether it's pretty much what you nee.

• dayenu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Our secret for both being engaged in a project is to spend alot of time on the planning so he knows exactly what I want and how I will use what he creates. we often draw it out. He loves to take notes. once he knows how I willuse something he is great at designing something that will meet all my needs. and even suggesting some improvements which I feel free to incorporate or say "Nah, sorry honey."

For example he offered to build me narrow wooden shelves but then I said that dyes would stain it and it would start to look gross. he suggested the plastic covered metal grid and found a store 90 miles away that sold the stuff so we made a day of it with lunch and window shopping.

Once we bought all the components I gave him the range of where he could hang it, giving him some disrcetion to move it all a few inches over or up if he needed to. then - and this is important- I totally disappear (unless he asks me to come look or help) until he is done with installation or construction. (actually I was busy baking him a peach pie- a great incentive in this house). when this project was securely mounted I hung up the baskets/shelves while he handed me the things that went into each part.

SO now we can both take credit. I mixed up some new colors this morning and the space is working great. I have a skinny step stool in the closet for reaching the high items.

It's inspiring to be so organized.