Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm proud of myself but still have questions

Posted by marie26 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 18:28

When I'm working for someone else, I try (and usually succeed due to the nature of the job) to complete every task on my desk. But when I need to mail back forms, request information, make appointments for the family and the dog, I am the worst procrastinator.

Well, today, I started at 8:30 am and completed every task on my list. Some of these should have been taken care of a month ago but at least it's all done now and I can breathe easier.

I even wrote down all the appointments in a pocket calendar and when I sent out the various items. Is this the best way of keeping track of things?

How do I file what's been sent out? Is it best to keep it all in one place and file into the proper folder when it's been taken care of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm proud of myself but still have questions

Yay, Marie! What an inspiration. I'm like you, I don't do stuff for me.

The stuff that got sent out--will something else remind you of it later? Will you get a reply in the mail, or something? Then I'd file those things away.

Something that you need to initiate the next step on, maybe put in a "to do" spot (I'd hang it on my calendar hook or stick it in my backpack)

One argument for filing it away is, you can find it when you need it (i.e., you realize that no one has called you back from the insurance company)

o
RE: I'm proud of myself but still have questions

Good for you, Marie. I've been procrastinating over several medical bills lately and really need to get them gone.

Appointments--once they are on the calendar I throw anything else away. I will note if I need to take something with me, like shot records. I live by my calendar and find it is a really good record for "when and what." Easy to keep for several years, too.

I have a file at the front of my hanging file folders. It's labeled ORDERS, but it's acutally pretty generic for items like you mention. If I have a credit card dispute, I'll put it there until settled. If I order something from a catalog, I put it there until the items come and I determine I don't need to return anything. Almost all of these items I can throw away once "whatever" is finalized.

If something is already part of an ongoing file, then I will put the paperwork there. I've been collecting things for my Teacher Retirement System, so rather than having them separate until items return, I just put it in my TRS folder. It's right there when I file the other things and I can decide to keep or pitch as needed.

Gloria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here