Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making peace with my home

Posted by postum (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 17:48

I want to thank you all for your help - I love reading this forum and always find it an inspiration. Many times I find myself saying "baby steps" and "just a few minutes can make a difference!"

After getting into a lethargic rut, I am finally back to using the SHE card system (like Flylady.) No, my house isn't spotless :-) But now I've written everything that needs doing down in my card file, and I know I just have to do my little tasks as scheduled and every day it will get a bit better. At night I go through my cards and see how much I have accomplished each day. There are always things that I didn't have time to get to, but I re-schedule them and don't let it get to me. I see what I have to do tomorrow, and then forget about it.

It is nice to go to bed with a clear conscience (if not a clear dining table) knowing that I will eventually get everything sorted out - in time. Why lie in bed worrying about the mess of toys, the paint that needs scraping, the messy deck? Worrying is not getting anything accomplished - simply a waste of energy. Now I'm putting that energy into trying to create a peaceful home - even if it sometimes means just keeping my mind in order in the middle of chaos.

Best wishes and a happy solstice to everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making peace with my home

Good for you postum. Longest day of the year and we have 19.5 hours of daylight today. Good reason to celebrate.

Gloria

o

My kids are grown; When they were little we did art projects; blown out egg decorating; finger paint with starch & color;
thats what they remember, along with making cookies, and camping and hiking, and they did clean up. NObody seems to recall whether the house was dusted or the porch painted. Prioritize; when they are grown and out---you will have the time to have an immaculate home if thats what you still want. I do regret days I stayed home from the beach to get the house straightened out, etc. at least the kids went.

Its 5 a.m could't sleep and I am pressing levis for my husband's trip to Peru. I go to work shortly. So your life changes but its still full of goofy tasks.

o

I agree, Marge. Hope my kids remember all the cookies and fingerpainting and sled rides in the snow. Maybe that'll dtract them from the image of me running the vacuum at 11:30 p.m. and always doing laundry! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here