Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which closet plan could make the best use of the space?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 17:04

For a master bedroom closet, which could you pack the most into, a 6x7 foot closet? Or a 5x7 foot closet with a 1x7 linen closet which opens into the adjoining hall? And why one over the other?

photo ClosetPlans_zps04716089.png

I'm leaning toward the 6x7 because it would allow double rods on one side, shelves on the back, and a combination of double rods and single on the other side. I could squeeze in hanging rods down both sides in a 5x7 but it doesn't allow much room between them. But it would make it easier to get to the shelves in the hall then.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which closet plan could make the best use of the space?

couldn't you still put a linen closet on the wall outside the 6x7 closet? It looks like there's room there on the other side of the door opening. If the diagram is accurate, of course.

That linen closet can be shallow--you can fold towels & sheets, etc., to fit a VERY skinny shelf if you fold them in fourths like this:

________
________:
:________
________:

(fold them in half, then fold the ends back toward the center fold, like an accordion)

And you only need about 4" for most cleaning-supply bottles (depending what you want to put there).

(You can even make the door be flat, and paint it to look like the wall, and hang pictures on it.)

Otherwise--I think you're right about the extra foot making a difference in how many hanging rods you can have. How badly would you need a linen closet, if you can't fit one in the way I mentioned?

o

No, I didn't bother to put in the door for the other bedroom, but it is next to the linen closet that is there now. If dh will go for extending the closet the way I want, I can stick a shallow linen closet into the hall. I don't use the current linen closet for linens now anyway, just for shoes and other odds and ends that have no home.

This post was edited by marti8a on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 17:25

o

You can create your own customized closet according to your requirements. Easy-access, low drawers with finger pulls and drawer glides that are self-closing may be good choices for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here