Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vwbrownthumb

New member - addicted to organizing

VWbrownthumb
9 years ago

Hello all, so glad I found this group.

I'm a recovering hoarder. And now, like a former cigarette smoker, everywhere I go I feel I could/should organize it nicer/better. It's a battle.

On the plus side, my own home is starting to look nice, only smallish bits of clutter or 'stuff'. I dream of the day I can actually FIND whatever I'm looking for.

I've been enjoying reading previous posts.

Virginia

Comments (3)

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

Hooray for "recovering hoarder"!

So powerful for you, that process. Congrats on advocating for yourself and taking care of yourself. And good luck on the journey.

Welcome to the forum!

Be sure to tell us any clever strategies you've developed, or share any wisdom you've learned.

And ask for cheerleading when you need it. We're pretty good at that here.

• VWbrownthumb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hiya Tally Sue and all -

I doubt if anything I did is so different from what everyone else has done.

What worked best was - one box, one shelf, one whatever at a time.

ANYTHING (clothes, dishes, linens, books, etc) I hadn't seen in 6 months, worn in awhile, if it needed repairs, didn't like it anymore, couldn't recognize it - goes right into the trunk of the car for donation or the trash can.

Anything I knew my daughters wanted to inherit, if I didn't have room or wasn't sure it meant much to me, they got it now.

Things like jars, bottles, etc that I had to sort beads or store whatever - I kept ONE to sort beads, the other 1000 went to recycling.

No wanting til I had "enough" - I would take a small box and drop it off on my way to the grocery store, or a car load - just get it OUT! The folks at Goodwill knew me "here comes that crazy lady again". I don't care, they don't understand. Took me 10 years. But I think it's paid off.

I don't believe in throwing away anything that has true meaning. Sentimental stuff can be important. But there's this thing about WHAT's sentimental and what's just trash.

I went through the whole house 3 or 4 times before I got to where I am now. One little bit at a time. One box, one bag, one drawer, one step at a time. Drove me nuts! But too much at one time was too hard for me, so slow and steady is winning the race.

Virginia

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Congratulations, Virginia! When I read about your process, it reminded me so much of weight loss. No one can do it for you, it took a long time to gain the weight (or accumulate the stuff), and it is going to take time and effort to get rid of it. And it never ends.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz