Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to reduce pots and pans

Posted by coastalstitcher (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 15:00

I have a small kitchen with limited storage space. Most of the cabinets are narrow and not suited to storing bigger pots. I have a small upright wooden wardrobe with a hanger on one side that I use to hang them. I also have stacked them in the floor of this cabinet. That means it's hard to find what I need without having to remove stuff. I have a pressure cooker that came with 2 different of pots. I wonder would there be a problem with using them as everyday pots and getting rid of the others? They are pretty heavy. The only problem I can see is that they don't have regular lids in case I wanted to cover something while it cooks.
I hope this doesn't seem like a silly question.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to reduce pots and pans

Although it's possible I don't think it's a good idea. If they're heavy it would take a long time to heat and cool down. Just think how hard it would be to drain things with a heavy pot. Is it possible to put a few cleats in your wardrobe and shelves on top of the cleats or put some standards up the sides to hold shelves. Even 1 extra shelf would give you room for storage. A lid rack would allow you to stack your regular pots

o

Thanks, You are right about the weight issue. I'll look into that lid storage idea.

o

I absolutely would not ever use a pressure cooker pot for anything other than its intended use. Too easy to get lax about it and have an accident.

Here's a horror story a friend told me. Her sister in law was using a pressure cooker pot to boil water. She put the pressure cooker lid on it to speed up the process. She didn't lock the lid into place, just laid it on top.

Well, unfortunately the pot pressurized anyway and when she lifted the lid, the water exploded everywhere. She suffered some bad burns.

Now, it's easy to say, well I'd never do that! But my point is, a PC is good for one purpose and once you get away from that purpose, it's easy to do something without thinking that can have bad results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here