Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

Pt.3 : Contemplate, Collect, Count & Cull a Category

celticmoon
16 years ago

Welcome all you recovering hoarders!! I want to kick off Part 3 (and will link to part 2).

This twist on organization grew out of a thread on counting "How many.." (The gazillion socks and scissors were my wake up call.) Rather than attack and organize a space, like a linen closet, some of us are finding it easier first to eliminate the excess stuff that is hogging our storage spaces. Organization and maintenance isn't so hard after the stuff has been pared down.

The key is to pick a category narrow enough that the job is doable, but broad enough that the culling eventually has an impact. Pressed for time? Pick something narrow like 'Maps'. Rainy Saturday morning? Maybe go for the 'Glassware' or 'Books'. Don't even think on the scale of "Photos" or "Files" at first.

Here's how:

*Contemplate a category. Decide how many makes sense.

*Collect the items.

*Count em (this step and the recoiling in horror is optional).

*Cull them down to what you decided would be reasonable.

*Congratulate yourself!

*Come back here to celebrate.

Oh, and don't forget the part where you actually get the extras out of your space. Goodwill, Freecycle, Craig's list, neighbors, friends and family, EBay, garbage or dump - whereever - just get it out of there!!

Who's culling what today?

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Culling thread (with category lists)

Comments (99)

• tre3
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Surfer, the Humane Society and your coworker's brother will be so happy.
    I'm confused as to why you'll wait to find new homes for those containers? Do you thing you'll find the mates?
    Getting those bags of clothes out will feel great. Congratulations. We are so fortunate to have multiples of so many things, tshirts, flip flops, dolls, dvds, etc. Sometimes I find that my kids don't even realize that something they once owned has ended up in the cull pile.
    I am seeing a small trickle down effect with my DD. This past weekend, without asking, she went thru her clothes and belongings. She gathered quite a nice pile of things to donate! Pretty soon I'm going to be on a first name basis with the workers at Goodwill!!

• southernsurfergirl
    16 years ago

I tried to throw out a few of our 27 flashlights, but my mom stopped me. So I'm leaving the 28 lids that have no match on the kitchen counter, show them to my dad, then throw them away. I just have to wait until he gets back. (I secretly threw away all of our empty cool whip bowls because I think they're trashy. Hopefully no one will notice.)

~Surfer~

• scottymam
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the thoughts on Pipers passing.
    We have the grandkids with us this week, so I am going to make a memory and do some culling at the same time. I have bunches of glass stones, marbles, beads, washers, nuts bolts and assorted left overs from projects, also about 1/2 a bag of concrete mix. We are going to take all the left overs, design our patterns out on paper, then mix up the concrete and make stepping stones. They can then take these home and put them outside in the "garden" around their "new" (less than a year) house. Mine will be a memorial stone to Piper.

Ellie

• scottymam
    16 years ago

Tina,
    What if you use an Umbrella/Parasol on your walks? I often see ladies here in Tx doing that. Hope you are feeling better.

Surfer,
    Glad to hear that things worked out for your uncle.

Ellie

• kathy813
    16 years ago

I threw away a garbage bag of curtains and a dust ruffle. I really have a problem. It was so hard to do it.

• southernsurfergirl
    16 years ago

Good job, Kathy. I waited until my mom got home because I never throw anything away without my parent's knowledge (except for those cool whip bowls). So out of the 28 lids, my mom decided to keep nine. And my sister says she has more clothes to take to goodwill. I haven't asked my parents about what to do with the flashlights yet so they're still in the garage.

~Surfer~

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

I had a lot of fun on vacation, visiting and talking with family. It was interesting to spend the days covered and under an umbrella while on the beach since I'm usually active and out in the sun. I really didn't mind it at all. Actually, between the Lyme and the antibiotics, I wasn't feeling too energetic, so it turned to be the best way to take care of myself.

A friend of mine has agreed to help me review the clothing in my closet, and I think it will help me stay focused and honest. I was going over to visit with her today, so I pulled out four items and took them with me. One item we ruled out without a try on. Another item, although nice, fit poorly and wasn't flattering. I put this aside, too. A third item, a dress, I tried on and we agreed it was a keeper. The final item, another dress, initially was vetoed, but after trying on we determined it only needed a minor alteration in order to be a keeper. This was just a brief cull, but it turned out to be kind of fun. I'm starting to feel ready to dig a little further into my closet.

Tina

• tre3
    16 years ago

Tina, glad you were able to enjoy the beach. I hope you'l be back up to your normal energy level soon!
    Taking things a few items at a time sounds like a great way to get your feet wet. How nice to have someone who is willing to help you and whose judgement you trust. If it were me, I'd have to be very careful to actually get the items tailored!
    I have fallen off the culling, organizing and even cleaning wagon. I look forward to reading lots of interesting posts so I might become motivated again!

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

tre, they don't call them the lazy, hazy days of summer for nothing. Much of my culling activity has dropped off, too, but I'm trying to trick myself into staying on the wagon by poking around my closet.

Today I convinced myself to try on all of my dresses and skirts, as well as some dress slacks. I used a couple pairs of shoes to give me an idea of how things fit and hang, but I didn't get into coordinating accessories. I've already recognized some poor shopping habits of which I'm guilty, which is a positive thing as far as I'm concerned. I was able to discard six more items and put aside a large group of things to review with my friend. I have a feeling most of those items are leaving too. I guess if I don't love them, I already know the answer. I was surprised to find that most of my clothing fits me again, which is a major cause for celebration! I am going to put aside the remaining things that are a little tight and give myself a bit more time. Anything that doesn't fit by the end of summer is going out.

I think the hardest part will be determining items that will help me get the most out of my existing wardrobe. I know I could use some tops and a few versatile sweaters and cardigans to go with my skirts and slacks. I have to mull over my shoe issues and come to a solution that will make pulling outfits together easier. I have a hard time finding comfortable shoes that look dressy and I put off wearing outfits because they don't seem complete without the right heel or more delicate look. I know I can't have the perfect shoe for every outfit, but there have to be a few practical choices that will give me the most bang for my buck.

Next stop: blouses, shirts, and dressy tees. Then I'll go back and coordinate tops with bottoms, as well as outfits with shoes. Items that don't match up with anything else in the closet or is unlikely to ever find a mate will hit the highway.

I think I'm going to make a cheat sheet of what tops go with which skirts and slacks so by the time fall and winter rolls around I won't have to go through this analysis again. Maybe I'll do shoes, too. It will help me determine the gaps in my wardrobe before I go out shopping. I want to make sure I don't buy any more things aren't useful.

I'm going to go back and read Celticmoon's closet culling thread to get some inspiration and ideas. No sense in reinventing the wheel!

Tina

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I put off wearing outfits because they don't seem complete without the right heel or more delicate look.

that's me! I've really expanded my summer wardrobe bcs I found sandals that look both dressy enough and casual enough.

(of course, I had actually NO shoes that fit comfortably and weren't sneakers, for summer)

I need to add a pair of basic flats; I found pewter ones that will go w/ almost anything in my closet, but they were sold out, rats!

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

TS, summer is best for me, too, in this respect. I have a few pairs of sandals (wedge and flat) that work well enough for dressier clothes and can also go more casual. I am looking for flats, too, because they will replace the flat sandals once cooler weather hits.

Why is it so hard to find comfortable shoes? Someone once told me to buy fewer but more expensive shoes. She said better made shoes are more comfortable. I do have a pair of Coach shoes that I found over five years ago at TJ Maxx and to this day they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. I don't know what they cost full price, but I paid $65 for them. Definitely worth every penny spent because they continue to polish up well, look great with dress slacks and jeans, and I can walk around all day in them without thinking about my feet even though they have at least a 1 1/2" heel. Maybe I should do a major shoe shopping/try on experiment in some high end shoe stores once I determine what type of shoe(s) I need.

I wish all of us shoe-challenged gals could go shopping together!

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Ellie -- The wind chimes were dropped off at the post office yesterday afternoon. You should receive them in 5 days. Thanks for helping me cull an unwanted gift! Enjoy!

Tina

• southernsurfergirl
    16 years ago

Tina - congrats on even considering such a daunting task as the closet! Have you considered purchasing gel insoles for some less-than-comfortable shoes? That's what I did and it really helped.

My 17 yr old sister, Soleil, got "infected by my organizing bug" and emptied out her closet as well. We listed all the clothes and made a receipt for taxes and dropped them off. It was a lot of work. We have also decided we want to start selling our jewelry and books and stuff online. I'm excited.

I took some time off to think about why I'm so worried about the house catching on fire. When I was 19 I left for my undergrad internship and the apartment I was living in caught on fire. My roommates and I only had enough time to grab a few things and run. But my family has lived in the same house since 2004 and it hasn't caught on fire yet. And my soon-to-be career involves fire safety (I'm learning how to do special effects for movies, like man-made storms and explosions.) So instead of worrying, I'm going to check and make sure the smoke alarms and extinguishers are working and not blocked by anything. And I'm researching different fire safes so we can put important documents and stuff in them. I also pray that the Goddess will protect my family and our home from fire. So I'm trying really hard not to worry.

~Surfer~

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey all, just finished reading to catch up. Great work, all. Surfer, you are on a roll. Tina, way to go tackling the closet. And Kathy, the tossing will get easier - first bag IS the hardest.

And group shoe shopping would be very cool. I was too tall too young and only wore flats as a teenager, so I think I missed out on shoe fashion sense. I just don't get it. Sometimes my SIL (who works parttime in an upscale shoe place) tries her best to help me 'get it': "So Jane, these are cute right?" "Uh, no Celtic. Those are just awful." Sigh. Hopeless.

I did end up with one acceptable style. A kinda pointy toe (but not toe squishing) Nickle slide with a little button and a short, maybe 1 1/2 inch, heel. Got em in black and in tan. I keep both pair in my car. One or the other is fine for popping on for work or a meeting or whatever.

Meanwhile..... I got way, way off track on the organizing front due to this hot tub fiasco the last few weeks. Dug up half the yard for concrete slab and walkways - it is STILL muddy out there! Moved gardens and sod around. Dirt and tools everywhere, garage is chaos.
    Idiot electrician bored a hole in the side of the tub for the conduit, voiding the tub warranty. And of course the tub leaks. Cripes, big, big problem. No wait, it's the underground sprinkler: Concrete guys severed the sprinkled system - again. After I had done my happy dance after digging/finding/fixing their first cut. Whew. Then, Nooooo! Tub still leaks. Wait, could it please be just the rain puddling cause the slab has a slight bowl...

Suffice to say the tub dealer thinks I am insane. I am getting there.

(I must admit the tub is relaxing though. When it isn't freaking me out.)

Keep on culling, everyone!

• tre3
    16 years ago

Ah Celtic, the joys of a big project!!!
    Tina, I love cheat sheets for wardrobes. I use index cards. This could also help you determine where your gaps are. If you keep putting outfits together and saying "a red turtleneck would look great with this" over and over...then you buy the red turtleneck.
    Surfer, I'm glad the organizing bug is spreading in your house. I too have found that my DD wanted to organize her closet. HURRAY!
    Keep culling while I play in the dirt!

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Drat, I just typed a post and then wiped it out! It went something like this . . .

Surfer, thanks for the gel insole recommendation. I'm going to try it.

Celtic, it sounds like you are maintaining your sense of humor and perspective during this series of mishaps. Hang in there, and it will soon be over! I'm still green about that tub.

Tre, you haven't fallen off the wagon. You're focusing on your yard, and how wonderful it must be to enjoy it so. If you run out of dirt, I have lots more you can play in. Ah, the index card . . . What a great idea. I am so doing that!

My recent bloodwork revealed that I have kicked the Lyme. Unfortunately, I still have to complete the final week of antibiotics (ugh). After that I will be my normal peppy self and back to culling at full speed!

Yesterday I culled several t-shirts and a couple pairs of jeans. Added still more clothes to the undecided pile. I think my brain went to mush and I just couldn't make any more choices. I'm going to pause in culling clothes at this point, as we'll be visiting with friends this week and I have to pack. Actually, thanks to Celtic's suggestion for writing down past trips and clothes packed, all I had to do was slightly modify my stuff packed for my last trip to Knoxville and I'm ready to go!

Tina

• tre3
    16 years ago

Tina enjoy your visit. Glad to hear that you've kicked the Lyme. When you've had a chance to recuperate just think how quickly the clothes culling will go!
    Love those gel inserts for heels. The ones I've used are a partial insert...just for the ball of the foot. They help but still don't making wearing heels a breeze.
    I think its totally acceptable to become overwhelmed by the decision making process. I think it is a great idea to do a cull of the obvious losers. Then with your friend you can refine your wardrobe and end up with some great pieces. I read recently that we use only 20% of our wardrobe. Does that apply to you?
    The notes you took on travel are paying off. Don't forget to make notes on this trip too. Did you wish for a light jacket or and extra pair of shorts..that sort of thing. I can put together some great outfits at home while preparing for a trip. Then I get to my destination, open my suitcase and wonder why did I pack this. Index cards help my feeble brain.
    Thanks for the offer of more dirt. I think I have my hands full now. We are only supposed to have one more day in the 70's before it climbs back into the mid 90's!!! Outside, even though my muscles are groaning:)

• Miss EFF
    16 years ago

Oh tre -- I understand your pain! We are having beautiful weather now --we will hit the 90's on Monday. So hopefully, I can get the weeding done but we have been so very busy and its hard to stay focused.

Fortunately, my weeder is coming today -- she does a nice job --but is a little slow. But she does work -- and finding someone that will weed has been impossible.

Tina -- congrates on the overcoming the Lyme disease. My cousin contracted it in the late 70's - early 80's and was mis-diagnosised for years. She had several knee surgeries before they realized what she had. It has caused problems ever since for her.

I am still getting rid of things -- a few more tees -- a pasta machine -- an old grill. I've decided that culling is pretty complete. Organization and structure is needed in some areas. Like paper..... I'm careful not to accumulate more junk but I ned better organization.

AND my DH shop is a disaster! Can he ever throw out the plastic bag???? When my season slows down -- we will attack that. I can't even find a hammer in it. It is impossible!!

Cath

• southernsurfergirl
    16 years ago

Tina - I'm happy that you're well now.
    Ellie - Thank you for your thoughts.

I got rid of all my sewing patterns - I haven't sewn anything in years. I also gave my ice skates to a charity sale. There's no possibility of ice here. Soleil just took a box of books to a used bookstore. I found a store that takes used DVDs. Hopefully theyll take some of mine.

It wasnÂt until after I put on my bathing suit this morning and I looked in the mirror that I saw there was a large spider on the top half. Now I have begun culling spiders. So far I have culled five. Also, I keep my shoes hanging upside-down in an over-the-door thing but I still have to shake them for spiders and scorpions.

I bought video-editing software to help me with my classes but I couldnÂt install it, so IÂm going to have to return it. My uncle built this computer using a pirated version of Windows so a lot of programs donÂt work. Right now IÂm saving up to buy my own professionally installed laptop so IÂm trying very hard not to buy anything unnecessary.

Celtic- Good luck with the mad tub.

~Surfer~

• kathy813
    16 years ago

Threw away assorted bag of junk mail and magazines that I have saved to read. I am trying to fill my garbage can for Mondays pickup each week. In only approx. 10 years I will be done!!!

• scottymam
    16 years ago

I am so happy that I helped Tina "cull" the windchimes from her basement, they arrived and are WONDERFUL!!!
    My husband even paused his computer game (which he never does) came into the dining room and said, "Wow, those sound pretty where did you get them?" Thanks to Tina!

Ellie

• scottymam
    16 years ago

I have culled 2 big stacks of magazines (between us we get about 15 or so a month) 1 stack will go to the doctors clinic down on the corner, they were very happy last month when I brought in a bunch (there are about 15 doctors in the clinic, as it is associated with the hospital system here)
    The cookbook magazines will go with me on Friday night to stitch group, those usually find a home to, and if they don't I can take them to the doctors clinic as well.

A thought for paperback books, the used book stores here will not take paperbacks, however our local library operates a "honor system" area for paperbacks only, you don't have to be a library member to use the books, and are not on a tight schedule as to when they need to be back. You don't even do an official check out, just say something like I've got 2 this time. Got some here when I traveled, as well as taking some to friends in the hospital, as long as you return them when done, your all set. When they get over run they take some that have been there for a while and put them aside, when they have their sales (1 or 2 a year) they make "grab bags" of paperback books, which they sell for a couple of dollars and the cycle starts again.

Also last year the local Christian College had a book drive, one of their outreach ministries adopted all the children in a school (forget which level)_ took donations and EVERY child got at least one book for Christmas!

Done with my ramble now Sorry, my mind needed to be culled of thoughts!

Ellie

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Just returned from vacation and couldn't wait to catch up. Ellie, I'm so glad you like the wind chimes!

I have a few days to take care of paperwork, run lots of errands and clean the house, and then we'll be off again for the weekend. It's our last little splurge of the summer -- part of my goal to share more time and experiences with close friends. I've really been enjoying this so much. I'll soon be back home to do more culling, however, including the clothing closet.

Tina

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Okay, I'm back home and took the day to settle back in. This trip I was even more on target when it came to wearing the clothes I packed. I'm amazed. I'll have to write down all the info about the trip, the things I took and wore and keep it with the other packing lists I started saving. As some of you have suggested, the key is to take pieces that all work together. No single-use blouses, etc. I caught myself a couple of times trying to sneak in a "special" item but didn't do it. It was a good thing, too, because I had a couple of accidents (one involving a seagull . . . ) and couldn't get two wearings out of a couple of blouses. I was glad I had other versatile items that worked as substitutes.

One of the things I've done for a while but still rely on heavily is a packing "cheat sheet" for general items so I don't forget to pack anything -- examples include types of clothing, body products, special items for specific trips (beach chairs and towels), phone charger, camera, reading material, etc. I make a copy of the master list and check things off as I gather everything. It's really great if you're packing at the last minute and are totally frazzled!

Time to get back to culling. I'll be looking through my closets and drawers and separating the definite keepers from possible pitches. I'll have to do some trying on again . . . all this vacation time has given me lots of opportunities to eat well and the Lyme got me a little off course with exercising. Got to dig in and pick up where I left off.

What's everyone been working on?

Tre, are you still out in the yard?

Celtic, how's your hot tub and sprinkler system? I'm guessing all mends must be solid and holding at this point.

Surfer, sounds like you are still going strong with pitching a variety of things.

Kathy813, I fight a similar battle weekly with all the junk mail and bills -- glad you were able to begin weeding through. Those catalogs just never stop coming!

Cathy, glad to hear you are close to finishing the culling process. I can't wait to be at that point.

Ellie, you are great at finding new homes for your magazines and paperbacks!

Tina

• Miss EFF
    16 years ago

Tina --- Just keep working on the clothes. You are really getting there. When I was a very poor ex-college student with my first job -- I had a wonderful salesperson at my favorite store. She forced me to keep a "plan". Everything I bought had to go with what I already had ---- so I had a red suit, did the yellow blouse go with it? It has paid off over the years. Even now -- I can go into GoodWill and find key pieces to go with what I already have.

Next clean-out space for me is the attic or the basement. I can't decide which. The attic is way too hot to work in right now ---- and the basement is "icky!" That's a technical term for 115 y.o. house with outside door and dirt floor in the cellar!

Maybe my customers will keep me very busy with flowers today!!! Avoidance is sometimes a good thing!

Cathy

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Cathy, thank you so much for saying that. You know, I started applying this philosophy to packing, but I havn't gotten that far with my closet. I'm still pulling out obvious and semi-obvious culls, but will need to get more specific like that when the time comes. Actually, I do better when I write things down and have it organized in front of me, so I think this will be an excellent plan for pulling together a wardrobe that is easy to live with. You can guess that wanting to put "special" items in a suitcase when I'm packing is also a shopping issue. I tend to be drawn to patterns or bright colors, but those items are often the least worn and hard to create outfits with. I guess I need to make a plan that includes all of the clothing I currently own. This will help me weed stuff out and give me an idea of things I could use to create more outfits.

By the way, the basement and attic are the two main culling areas left for me, too. Your basement sounds interesting. Mine is much less "wild", given that it has a cement floor, but the house's foundation is mud and fieldstone, so it is by no means airtight. We run a dehumidifier down there almost all summer just to keep the moisture at bay.

Tina

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I tend to be drawn to patterns or bright colors, but those items are often the least worn and hard to create outfits with

You need to start buying stuff so that those items DO HAVE something they can go with. Plan some other sorts of garments that can work w/ several of them (black pants, for example, will look great with almost any shirt, etc.)

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

TS, I agree, and it usually is my intention when I purchase a "fun" or "interesting" item. Unfortunately, these purchases are usually at TJ Maxx or some other discount store or thrift shop and once I get the piece home, there's always some reason it doesn't go with what I have. Say, for example, the length of the blouse isn't right, or it's cut too wide for the slacks I thought it would go with. Or, here's a big one, the texture or weight of the material, sometimes even the color, doesn't match anything I own, but I can't seem to buy anything to go with it either. I'm all for having items of clothing with a pattern or bright color, but I've gotten to the point where I know it will be something that's hard to find a mate(s) for. These are the kind of things I want out of my closet. I think part of the trouble is trends come and go and some pieces don't go with others even if the color or fabric is right. However, in recent years I've limited my purchases to styles and cuts that look best on me and this is less of a problem than it used to be. I'm not really a slave to trends, but I do like to update my wardrobe with a few current styles.

Does this make sense? Why isn't there some magic formula for creating a wardrobe? Am I just missing something? I used to dress myself quite fashionably but now seem to have trouble . . . Maybe my expectations are too high or I'm just bored with what's in my closet.

Tina

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    16 years ago

I, too, have been trying to do wardrobe culling after finally admitting that I am middle-aged, and some things just no longer look right. I can't even explain why, sometimes. I do not have an overly "young" wardrobe since most is professional work clothes. Paradoxically, that may be the problem!

So, even though I can afford now to treat myself to shopping for new things, I'm no longer sure what I am looking for and, I am amazed to realize after years of enjoying shopping for clothes, less tolerant of spending all day trying things on to see what is now "me."

What really frustrates me with women's clothes is that as the above poster noted, you can't just match color and approximate style--you'll put something on and notice, those lapels don't go with those trousers; that jacket is too long/too short/too boxy, etc; the cut of those pants doesn't quite work with the shoes; the gabardine jacket does not really go with the pants fabric; whatever. I even have T-tops/shells that may be the same color, but one "cut" may work with one jacket and another not. Maybe I'm too picky and have had my "eye" over-influenced by fashion nazi's. Of course this is just what they want, and why you can't buy the same style 2 years in a row.

Actually, for years I purchased multiple items in certain brands of clothing just because they tended to stay the same--like hooray for men's clothes that change ever so slowly, if at all. In some of these, you could get the same style (jacket or bottom) in different colors & fabrics, and so coordinate them without having to worry about the cut. That is harder to do now. And, much harder to find something that looks "classic" and forgivingly goes with a lot of other things--there is always some fillip or gew-gaw that makes the item require its own other pieces. Hmmmph.

All of this is a prelude to saying, although I have collected various nice jackets, trousers, skirts, because of lovely colors and fabrics that did seem to "match" other things, I am coming around to the fact that maybe I need only a third of them, because the reason I have so many things is that they really don't all go together style-wise.

I think some of the "dress for success" or similar books for women put too much emphasis on limited color combinations as the key to success. I find that style and cut are more limiting in many ways than color issues. Although I admit that color discipline is key, especially for a travel wardrobe. For that, I can't beat black and khaki/beige. In my middle-aged transition, I really look better now in non-black for tops and jackets--browns, olive, etc, and have acqired some nice outfits for work--but guess what? Much harder to color-coordinate just a few pieces for travel unless all the pieces were available in one line. Have you seen how many shades of BROWN there are? And none of them go together. So I will never give up black trousers.

What is most interesting to me, from some recent shopping attempts--and I'd like to know what other "young middle age" gals have experienced--is that I can no longer PREDICT what will look good and what will not--hence the need for ruthless trying-on and closet-culling, and it makes shopping harder. I used to be able to identify more often on the rack what would look terrible or good. Now, I am surprised by items that I never thought I would have worn, but look great, or by an item that I considered a reliable style standby, and it looks like hell.

Call me moving from frumpy to grumpy, but still hopeful.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Wow, frankie, you're having many of the same thoughts about your wardrobe that I am. I will be thinking about these things as I root through my closet.

Here's what I noticed today when trying on my clothes. Over the years I've been a collector of vintage clothing, mostly dresses. I just love a retro look when it's done low key and in a way that makes it feel current. Well, it's one thing when you're young and wear vintage dresses -- it's charming and fun. When you're older and put on vintage dresses, it starts to make you look, um, OLD!!! I just can't judge whether I've reached this point or not. I need to have my girlfriend over to give me an honest opinion. I think I will be so sad if I have to give them up, however, I am willing to do it if I look better and it improves my wardrobe.

On the opposite end, I'm also worried that some of my newer dresses may now look too short on me . . . My husband (who's conservative in this department) says no, but, again, I need a second opinion. I've seen women wearing clothes that are way too young for their age and it scares the heck out of me. I don't want to look like that. I'm fairly sure I'm not terribly guilty of either fashion crime, but I have this nagging doubt. For me, part of being middle-aged is that I've lost my sense of how my body looks in clothes. I know I'm tough on myself, but it's obvious I just don't look 35 any more either.

I haven't been on a major shopping expedition in a long time. I'm not usually a department store shopper -- I just don't know how to deal with so many choices. Once in a while I will go into a smaller store like Ann Taylor or J Crew and buy a couple of pieces. They tend to have things that coordinate easily and often fit me well, so it's much less overwhelming. I think after thoroughly culling and analyzing the pieces I need in my wardrobe, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend a good amount of time shopping and checking out lots of places I've avoided. And dealing with those issues of colors, fabrics, cuts, and styles . . .

Tina

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    16 years ago

Tina, thanks for the support!

That's what I think, too--I am going to have to be more adventurous about trying some new places and lines of clothing. I've never been a "boutique" shopper but will have to branch out, becauseI live in a small city with few major department stores, but it does have a number of places I've never tried. Also I think "mix and match" is a harder look to pull off as we get older. Most people would consider me thin and think I would have no problems, but things have just...changed!

The reason this is a culling issue for me is that things seem to fit but just don't look QUITE right...so I have trouble taking the plunge and getting rid of an outfit unless I can see that I've got a replacement. Then, because I'm having trouble finding my new "style", I've lost confidence that I can replace something with an upgrade. So I go round in circles.

• jsmadge
    16 years ago

Clothing today is simply terrifying to me these days. I have found that I look good and feel comfy in more tailored or preppy clothes, like polo shirts and oxford shirts --- or maybe that's just a reaction to all the women's clothing that appears to be designed for prepubescent girls who aspire to become ladies of the evening!

My best bets have been Ann Taylor Loft, Lands End, and a few good thrift stores. That said, I hate to shop and wore my Carhart coat so long that both my mother and my husband offered to buy me a new one!

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Still slowly culling clothing. Yesterday was gym clothes and purses. The remaining purses will get a second review later on.

I've also been working on decorating the master bedroom, and this has forced me to revisit some drawers and closets and weed out a few more things. I was able to hang some artwork, which helped free up additional storage space. I'm finding that the more complete the room becomes, the more willing I am to part with some of the "maybe" stuff I've been saving. I have one small closet that has extra pictures and display items, and my goal is to whittle that down to things I use for special occasions. The trunk of my car is almost ready for another donation run.

Tina

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention that my master bedroom is really small -- room for a king bed, nightstand, and small desk. The nightstand always seems to be cluttered with reading material. I'm considering purchasing a small wall-mounted magazine rack for the bedroom so I can keep current reads nearby and reduce visual clutter. I really like the idea of creating small "storage stations" near points of use. Sometimes it's hard to find things that are decorative, useful and work in a small space, so I'm pleased to find something I like.

Tina

• Miss EFF
    16 years ago

I may just find a parking space yet in my garage!!!

I've been freecycling like a wild woman........ and what I can't give away as is ........ was posted as scrap metal post and got several responses.

So far ... I got rid of old galvanized piping, window weights, old metal fencing, gas grill, tiller, mower deck, water heater, window a/c unit, Christmas wreathes and very cool retro plant stands that aren't my style.

I'm going to re-do an old wainscotted cabinet for the kitchen and do an un-fitted look for the microwave, mixer storage and plastic container storage. It will give me far more storage space than I have.

AND -- I may find a parking space!!!!

Cathy

• southernsurfergirl
    16 years ago

Wow, everyone's been doing a great job! My dads and my culling activities have been postponed because most of the mess is in the attic and garage, and it's 110 degrees outside. The garage feels a lot hotter than that. However, I did give away 6 decks of cards, a remote control, books, and some board games. I sold a dvd to a used store, and donated 3 pairs of old eyeglasses. A few years ago, my uncle accidentally sat on my glasses. I wear contacts 99% of the time because if a wave knocks off my glasses, then I'm blind. So as a surprise, my mom took my glasses to be refitted to fit my head. I wore them this morning and I'm pretty stoked they fit.

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Been reading but not posting. I'm facing repainting the exterior of the house (booooorrring) and the backyard work is now in the planting phase. And all else has ground to a halt. Holding steady on the closets, books, magazines, kitchen stuff. Recovered from some slippage OK.

The clothing discussion has intrigued me. I'm 54 and nothing in the stores looks right. I have no clue how to dress any more. So in defiance I picked up two long silk patterned wrap skirts (recycled sari s) at a festival. Then took a trip to a college town with a buddy and picked up a couple more. They are pretty and comfortable and interesting. DH likes them (take us back to the 60's and 70's I guess). Goes with my growing out my hair - missed a haircut in May and never looked back. (I do tie it up so I don't look like a total crazy lady)

And I swear people are being nicer to me. I'm going for the aging hippie, earth mother look. Take that, you intimidating mall!

Not sure what do do with my feet when it gets too cold for sandals though...

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, forgot to add. I continue to cull rather then hoard. Chopped up old deck benches and have been sending barrels of 4' chunks out each week, surpressing the voice that says, "maybe you could use that old wood for something" with "uh, Celtic, it is rotted!!! Dump it"

And today DH noted the 3 long strings of outdoor Christmas lights, half of each balled and masking taped (the halves that don't light) and said "hey, these are cheap enough to replace..."

They are in the garbage. Had held onto them for years.

See, I would just stuff the masking tape ball part into a bush, see, and drape the functioning part.... well, you know.

I feel lighter already.

• Miss EFF
    16 years ago

I like the aging hippie look! I wish I was taller -- 4'11" is tough when trying on a sari!

I so agree with you guys as far as shopping. I literally have far more luck at the thrift store than I do at the mall. But I am the sweater, jean skirt and jacket type. With boots in the winter -- sandals in the summer.

If I have to "dress" -- I am major trouble. Fortunately, I try to stay away from places like that!

Cathy

• scottymam
    16 years ago

celticmoon, are you my long lost twin? I like the old hippie look to. In fact, when I was still working at WM one of the men would tell me "your looking good for an old hippie chick" today, and mean it as a sincere compliment! (loved that guy, he could make you feel good on your worst day).

When I go shopping (seldom) I suffer greatly from
    "I'm to old to be young, and to young to be old" to quote a character from the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes".I am securely in the "queen headed to crone" phase of life. Been reading a lot of womens issues books of late!

One word of caution when you are culling, be careful that you don't accidentally let something slide into the wrong pile. I had a copper/brass necklace that I had for years, culled my jewels about 2 months ago, went to get the necklace last week and its gone! It was the Goddess with all the arms, and not easy to replace, practically, or the sentiment attached to it.

Ellie

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yesterday DH and I hauled the last of the books (remember the books?) - 8 boxes - to the second hand book store. All that was left after giving away all I could. Netted all of $17.60. Sigh. In their day all those clinical texts cost us a fortune. Oh well. They have finally made their way from basement to driveway to garage to GONE.

Today I bribed the garbage guys with sodas and a thank you note to haul off the last of the chopped up (rotted) decking. 3 barrels and a couple stacks. At the last minute I added a garbage bag of refrigerator pieces (extra shelves, bins, etc. we will *never* use) I almost sent to Goodwill - what was I thinking? No one would want that. Then dragged the last of the branches and pulled weeds to the "back 40" - really just a wooded strip between us and a small office building.

Progress.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Cathy, you've cleared out a lot of stuff. It's great you could get items taken away as scrap. Your wainscotted cabinet (infrastructure!) will be just right for your farmhouse kitchen.

Surfer, sounds like you're finding items to purge even though it's too hot to work in the garage. And congrats on your new glasses. How thoughtful of your mom to surprise you with them.

Celtic, that is great you've made such progress on your yard. Painting the house will be icing on the cake. You're going to feel like you have a brand new home. Oh, and great going on getting rid of those pieces of wood and the funky Xmas lights.

I can so relate to the urge to revisit the hippie chick attire. I haven't had a haircut since March, and this summer I've definitely been dressing casually and comfortably. I swear I had the exact same thought about people being nicer.

Received the magazine rack I ordered in the mail today and hung it on the wall immediately. Current issues of magazines and books I'm reading are now off the nightstand.

My girlfriend will be helping me go through the remaining clothes in my closet in the next few days. I have to admit I'm a little nervous. The time has finally come!

Oh, one last thing. And it's related to the ongoing clothing issues discussion. As if I need another way to be confused about how I look, I'm in the process of getting eyeglasses. I've had reading glasses for several years, but now I'm going straight to progressive lenses and wearing glasses full time. Yuck! At least I'm pleased with a couple pair I've selected. My husband convinced me to get two so I could have variety (thanks, honey!). So, now I have a new category to add to my personal culling list . . . banged up reading glasses are outta here!

Tina

• msmarion
    16 years ago

I've spent the last three days reading all three parts to this thread and become inspired to take charge of my stuff. I still have things in boxes from our move to FL almost 6 years ago. We work about 65 hours a week (oh the joys of owning your own business) and what little time at home is often just playing catch-up on laundry, bills and garden chores. I'd rather spend all my time in the gardens but ya just have to have clean clothes.
    I've taken today off and intend to make a dent in the sewing/compuuter room.
    Thanks for the ispiration everyone.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Msmarion, glad these threads have inspired you. Let us know how you do. I, too, find everyone's hard work inspiring. It motivates me to keep going.

Today I worked on my clothing closet with my good friend. I tried on all of my dresses, skirts, and jackets. I got rid of 17 items. It was really interesting to have someone objectively evaluate how clothing looks on you. It made me realize how harsh I am on myself! My friend is someone who is particular about how clothing fits, flattering styles, age appropriateness, etc., and it was a positive experience. I got rid of two vintage dresses because they didn't fit or flatter my shape well. I really liked these dresses, too , but I chose to keep others that look much better on me. Two contemporary dresses were nixed because they were a tad short. My friend said I could get away with them, but because I have others that look better I decided to keep just the best ones.

The process has started to feel and sound familiar to other culling tasks I've completed -- my closet has a limited amount of space; I have lots of clothing but certain items are the most flattering; these clothes are in good condition; I enjoy wearing them and do wear them. I keep only the best of everything.

I am glad to have gotten this far, but still have a lot to do. Slacks, tops, and shoes remain, but I already have more room in one closet. I need to start a list of particular items that would help round out my wardrobe, but I'm not going to buy anything until I have completed the entire culling process.

Also started working on removing an applied texture from the walls of one of our bedrooms. Originally thought it was sand-textured paint, but it's a bit thicker than that. I'm using a spackling tool to lift and chip it off. It's a bigger project than anticipated, but I think the results will be better.

Tina

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Still plugging along with my clothing closet. Started another donations pile today and put aside 12 items. Definitely making progress but wish I could hurry it up. I just don't seem to have the momentum for this category that I do for household items. I'm also feeling torn in a few directions, so I'm not as focused. Decided I am going to put off any new clothing purchases until I see how the current wardrobe works out.

Still working on the sand-textured paint project I mentioned, but also preparing to complete a decorating project and gathering info to start another. Today I'm packing for another week away, this time visiting family in Florida. I think I can list the items I'll need off the top of my head -- bathing suit, shorts, tank tops, skirts, one nice dress, and sandles. It's going to be so freakin' hot! I'll be returning the day after Labor Day and ready to get a move on all the projects hanging over me.

Tina

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Tina don't forget a hat, sunscreen and deodorant! It's going to be hot this week. What Part of FL will you be visiting?

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Msmarion, we're going to the west coast, St. Petersburg. I have all those important things waiting for me. My problem is, I never can remember what I've left down there to wear! Of course, it's all basic stuff, but it's nice to not have to travel with all the extras. You know what I'm looking foward to? That summer evening swim where there's hardly any difference between the air and water. I think that's heaven! Does it feel a little cooler on the east coast than the west?

Tina

• marie26
    16 years ago

Yesterday, I started my yearly culling. Besides cleaning out the pantry and fridge, I went through a couple of kitchen cupboards. I took a few items to my box in the garage of kitchen stuff I don't think I need anymore. On a happy note, one of my kids visited me a couple of weeks ago and took quite a few kitchen items.

I have a brand new steamer I had purchased on sale about 4 years ago that I've still not used. It's big so I don't want it on the counter but I'm wondering if that's the reason I don't use it. Out of sight, out of mind sort of thing. Other than that, I use all my appliances that are in the cabinet, although some are rarely used.

I did find a new 12" nonstick frying pan that I had purchased a couple of years ago at a restaurant supply shop. I'd forgotten that I even owned one of these and I was contemplating buying one.

I made my yearly list, broken down by room. Last year, I had broken everything down by item and found homes for everything. Now, I just have to cull more stuff. In the kitchen, I broke it down by each cabinet and drawer and will try to do at least 2 a day. When the kitchen is finished, I think I'll cull my bathroom next. I have drawers full of stuff but honestly use only a few items in them. I must be ruthless...I must be ruthless...

Did anyone catch Andy Rooney on 60 Minutes this week? He said that he enjoys buying kitchen gadgets and has 2 of most of them. At least I'm not alone.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Tina we have wonderful Atlantic breezes. My cousins that live in Brandon wish they had moved to this coast. We are half way between Miami and Daytona.
    I love my evening swim. It's so peaceful and relaxing.
    Enjoy your trip!

Marie I love gadgets. I only have one of everything.

• marie26
    16 years ago

I have finally finished the insides of all my kitchen cabinets, cupboards, pantry and fridge/freezer. I only focused on about 2-3 a day.

I had had 2 junk drawers which ended up being just 1/2 drawer of on-hand office supplies which is now near my computer.

I did have "Why didn't I think of that before" moments. Originally, I had put all mixing bowls in its own lower cupboard. The problem was that there are 2 shelves in there and I'd have to drag everything out in order to get a bowl if it wasn't the one on top. I now have them in another lower cabinet but this one's top shelf only goes from the middle of the cabinet to the back so taller items can fit easily in front of the shelf. I now put the bowls in the front of the shelf and it's easy to see and reach for.

I'm proud of my other moment. I've always had a problem with mail on my island. I've purchased countless containers and ended up putting a tray there. If I put everything away each day, I wouldn't have a problem but I know I'll never do that. Having it all in one spot is an achievement for me and I do always clear it up when it gets to a certain point. Anyways, the junk drawer that I emptied was right below the spot for the mail. So, that's my new place for mail - in the drawer and out of sight.

Next, I plan to do all the papers that are in drawers by my desk. These aren't items for the filing cabinet and most are sorted by what it is except for my papers. I have a habit of keeping notes, mail that doesn't need a response, etc. and it's time to get this part of my life in order.