Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Words of Wisdom

Posted by tre3 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 10:10

There was an earlier post about mantras or inspirational sayings. In reading I've come across several quotes that really strike home. Will you share words of wisdom that you've come across?

"When we own stuff, we have to maintain it. We also have to earn enough money to procure it, house it, protect it, keep it clean and insure it against theft or loss. So every purchase has strings attached. It will require long term commitment from you if you become its owner, and that in turn will keep you a little busier than you would otherwise have been. That extra busyness also makes it a little more challenging to show up in the rest of your life, to be truly present in whatever it is you are doing."

"Although when considered individually each purchase seems fairly innocuous in its time requirement, taken collectively, the impact of all that stuff can be enormous."

Sarah Susanka
"The not so big life"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Words of Wisdom

"Stop shopping!"

-- Reverend Billy

Here is a link that might be useful: Church of Stop Shopping

o

Not just an organizing book, but I learned a lot from David Allen's book "Getting things done: the art of stress-free productivity".

Image from Allen book

-Lena

Here is a link that might be useful: David Allen - Getting Things Done

o

Fight Club:

"The things you own end up owning you."

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

"Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions."

~Surfer~

o

I like Maura63's the best:

"After about three days, shouldn't 'clutter' be upgraded to 'decor'?"

o

Yesterday I was reading an article in an older magazine about a woman who kept adding things to her home decor, but was so dissatisfied with the results that she called in a decorator for some help. The decorator took one look and said, "Get a box". After loading everything in boxes (it took more than one), she was so pleased with the barer look in her rooms. I think that's a great motto: Get a box.

I'm reinspired!

o

Thanks Plow In. I love it! LOL!

o

We renteed a furnished cabin on a lake for a vacation. It was so beautiful. The kitchen was stocked with all the necessary appliances, even dishes and kitchen utensils fit neatly in the drawers and cupboards. The countertops were completely open. Not even a toaster sitting out! All we had to bring was food. It was so simple to keep clean. I wish I could live there year-round!

o

I was raised on this one:

"If the field is hard to hoe, think only of the present row."

Molly~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here