Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherri_gw

Tips On Setting Up New Kitchen Cabinets

cherri
16 years ago

Getting ready to move into our new custom home this weekend. I'm super excited, but also a bit overwhelmed. I need your tips on how you organized your kitchen - I have TONS of cabinet space, I just don't know where to start, could you share how your kitchen is organized. If you willing, share some pics of open drawers,cabinets. Also, if you know any good containers or dividers.

Comments (7)

• teacats
    16 years ago

Basically -- you'll move in -- and into Phase One. Thats the phase where you simply get things put away.

Then live with the layout -- and start to really observe "where" and "how" you do things during the day. Like "create a coffee center" -- so you may need to re-think where you store the mugs, coffee -- even the creamer!

OR -- "fast and easy breakfast" -- put the toaster in an easy-to-grab spot. Where's the jam?

Or -- "prep area" -- thats where you do most of the food prep -- so you'll need your cutting board, your knives etc.

For example -- I like to have my olive oils and vinegars near the prep area -- so I keep them in a VERY old flat-bottom basket by the cutting board. My kosher salt lives in an old bean pot by the side -- along with tall jars of our favorite pasta. The sea salt grinder/pepper grinder live on the kitchen table -- again -- on a flat-bottom basket (with the napkins and a hurricane candleholder) for easy removal.

We drink LOTS of tea (no surprise there! LOL!) -- so the electric kettle (a Russell Hobbes that lifts off the base for easy use) and an old teapot (from the '40s) always sit out on the counter. Tea bags in its own beanpot -- along with a pot that holds Splenda packets. Sounds crowded -- but its down to a true science of "use all of the inches of space"-- and works so well for us!

Believe me -- I've switched things around several times before I found a layout that truly works with us!!

• Maura63
    16 years ago

When our kitchen was remodeled I had the designer's drawings (a blueprint of sorts) of the finished kitchen before demolition even started. I made copies and labeled what would work best for us. Moving back in to the kitchen was a breeze and I have tweaked the storage only a little since then. If you don't already have the builder's renditions, maybe you could sketch out the layout of your kitchen, make copies, and play with it that way.

Our cereal is in a cabinet next to the bowls that are close to the dishwasher, and more importantly, the table. Cereal is the only food item I store in this side of the kitchen. The remaining food is stored closer to stove and fridge. I could get more detailed about what is specifically stored in each cabinet but basically it is like-items together closest to where you use them.

Have fun and good luck!

Maura

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

I'll echo colorcrazy's suggestion to put glasses, dishes & eating utensils by the dishwasher. I organized my kitchen this way when I renovated and I love it. It makes emptying the dishwasher a breeze.

I also agree with the positioning of items nearest to where you use them. I have oils and vinegars in the cabinet next to the stove. Pots and pans are also near the stove.

I wouldn't occupy prime cabinet real estate with items you'll use less frequently. Determine seasonal items or small appliances used once or twice a year and put them in some of the less handy spots (higher cabs, over the frig, etc.). The idea is to make it easy to get to the things you use often.

I assume you're already packed, but as you pull things out of boxes, I would think hard about the things you are willing to bring into your new kitchen. If you have more than one of the same tool, items that are broken or missing parts, or pots or appliances you haven't used in several years, then this is your chance to weed them out.

Have fun in your new kitchen!

Tina

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I have a small galley kitchen (well, modified galley; there's a door in one long wall).

I have divided my kitchen into the "baking" side and the "cooking" side. The baking side is AWAY from the stove, where the KitchenAid mixer is. I keep all the flour, sugar, cocoa, etc., there. And I keep a complete set (for me, that's TWO sets) of measuring spoons and dry measuring cups, plus spatulas and a whisk, on that end.

On the "cooking" end, I keep another single set of measuring spoons and dry measuring cups; a couple of spatulas, and a whisk, plus the knives, grater, etc.

The only things, almost, that go back and forth are the glass measuring cups. I keep two 1-cups and two 2-cups, bcs it's actually not unheard of for me to need to measure two completely different things. I keep them on the cooking end, bcs they're used most there, but not at the FAR end, so it's not so many steps to get one if I need to measure 1/2 cup of milk or something.

If I had a big kitchen, I'd have several areas (it would be OK for their counterspace to overlap if they are not typically done at the same time--nobody's making lunch while I'm baking) :

baking--away from most of the traffic, and not necessarily near the oven itself, but w/ decent counterspace for rolling out dough and laying the cookie sheets--though I quite happily borrow the "cooking" counter area for that.
    cooking--or "prep," w/ storage for my good cutting board, the knives, etc.
    making lunches--near the fridge, and w/ big cabinets nearby to stash the juice boxes, and counterspace under the peanut butter.
    kids making breakfast--not necessarily near the fridge, but w/ the bowls and spoons and cereal boxes near one another. I'd even be willing to buy 2 bowls per person just for breakfast alone in order to store them separately from the other dishes
    DH making breakfast--he makes toast, so I'd want an area for that, pref. that's not overlapping w/ the kids making breakfast
    making coffee--probably put this w/ DH's toaster, since that's almost the only time coffee is made, since I don't drink it, but were I someone else, I'd want this on an edge of the kitchen, so that company could make it, or get themselves a pot, without having to enter the kitchen proper.

Gadgets:

tray dividers: buy two sets and space these closely--no air gaps between items, or it's too hard to wrestle the cookie sheets out from between. I put mine in the deep cabinet over the fridge; I used to have them under the sink.

drawer dividers: buy these clips, and 1/4-inch-thick wood, either plywood from the lumber store tha tyou cut yourself, or perhaps precut strips from a crafting-supply place like Midwest Products.

• liz_h
    16 years ago

If you have drawings or photos of the kitchen, sit down with those and think about what you'll do where, and what things you'll want handy. Make a list of your cabinets and a general idea of what you want there. This will make it a lot easier when you're worn out from the move and trying to put things away.

Enjoy!

• Maura63
    16 years ago

Stumbled upon this link that might inspire you too.

Please post photos when you are done!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Organizing Is Easy article

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions