Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

o
Pt. 2 -- Celticmoon's plan to combat hoarding

Posted by tinasoldhouse (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 07 at 21:30

Okay, I'm missing the culling topics, missing the plan. I'm done with my shelving project, so I really would like to get back to pitching items of which I have too many. I think tre is away, but who else is still playing? Celtic, are you out there?

I'm looking at the list of stuff that folks culled before I jumped in. Alright, I'll weed through socks, sunglasses, and nail polish. He, he, he I'm starting to catch up . . .

Minor disclosure: I had a brief review of my closets today. Culled obvious items of clothing and shoes, but not feeling any joy from it. Feeling a little disappointed that I will have to suck it up and get rid of or try and consign some things I haven't worn. Ah, well, here's to open space for the clothes and shoes I love!

Tina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pt. 2 -- Celticmoon's plan to combat hoarding

"I really would like to get back to pitching items of which I have too many"
The earlier thread on the topic inspired me this weekend. I opened one of my small storage closets upstairs and threw out all the electric adapters and remote controls which I no longer remembered went with what. Same for cables (which seemed to have multiplied in the closet) and all the outdated software and empty boxes with warranties and stuff for pcs and electronics we no longer even own. I had no idea that I actually owned that many little colored post-it pads! And FOUR staplers? Two cameras and a video camera, all unused for years and years. Baskets of all sizes. About a dozen expensive spiral notebooks, still wrapped in their plastic covers, and about half a dozen unused 3 ring binders. Much of this I'll pass on via my local Freecycle (do you have one in your area? If you do, it may help you as you purge. Perfectly good stuff that no one wants to pay fifty cents for in a garage sale can be "gifted" to fellow Freecylcers, plus it won't add to our landfills. I just learned about this group, freecycle.org). OK, so I'm still holding on to the empty wooden cigar boxes. And four shoe boxes stuffed with greeting cards. And I know I'm not ready to tackle what's under my bed.

You?

o

Do empty boxes and cardboard stacked in the garage count? It's time to recycle a serious mountain of stuff. I'd like to find something I've been missing since 1994, when we moved here. It's a part to an antique scale that I used to weigh myself on every day. I know it's somewhere; either in the basement or the garage. I fear it's in my basement but I'm scared to go down there.

o

I bring old magazines and VHS movies to the laundromat. I go at least once a week to do my laundry. I always check to see if my old mags and tapes are gone. They always are. I also took a box of old magazines to the local hospital Emergency waiting room. I've been there for hours with my sick or injured children with nothing to read.

o

oofasis -- Lots of good culling, congrats!! I've heard of Freecycle but never used it. What kind of stuff do people give away?

claire de luna -- Empty boxes and stacked cardboard DO count! Hopefully you'll find the missing part to your scale as you continue to create space in the garage. I know what you mean about the basement -- I dread going there because I become so unfocused.

jannie -- The laundromat is a great place to take mags and videos!

Partially cleared out the storage shed when I retrieved the patio furniture. Put a small Weber grill, a charcoal chimney, two bags of charcoal, and four bottles of lighter fluid at curbside with a sign marked "free". It only took 45 min. for two guys to pull up in a car and grab it. That grill has been sitting in our shed for four years untouched since we bought a propane grill to use during the kitchen renovation. Threw out a few other things, but the space still needs to be swept and straightened. It's a start.

Haven't done the make-up items from the culling list yet, so I better hop to it.

Tina

o

Great that you all want to keep playing!! I truly think the last six weeks heve made an amazing transformation in the clutter in this house. For years I've been trying to reorganize "too much stuff". Futile. Then after getting rid of stuff, it has been a whole lot easier to tackle the storage spaces themselves. I've whipped through the kitchen, pantry, linen closet, tool/junk drawer, bathroom cabinets, clothes closet and garage. That is most of my trouble zones (except the basement where everything goes to die). I am living proof after decades it is finally possible to tidy a closet. The secret is less stuff. Cabinets and closet practically can organize themselves when not overstuffed. ("No Celtic, a flag pole does not belong in the pantry.") It is becoming clear to me that the organizing/tidying is completely different from the culling. And the culling has gotta come first!

To review: we pick a thing or a category and decide how much is reasonable to keep. Then go collect it all up and cull it down. Goodwill, gift, garbage, freecycle, curbside, Ebay, whatever: JUST GET RID OF THE EXTRA! Doesn't hurt to clean what you keep and decide firmly on the place(s) to store them.

So far we have done:

scissors
socks
lipsticks/chapsticks
coffee mugs
cooking magazines
nail polish
linens
candles
winter scarves & gloves & hats
gift wrap
greeting cards
computer diskettes & manuals
lotions & potions
maps
extension cords
playing cards & games
flower pots

I'm sure we each have skipped an item or two. (I am stalled on the flower pots. Have the extension cords gathered but not culled. I do need structure.) And seems we are in agreement that some things are just too hard: photos, shoes, Christmas decorations, and the vast and dreaded 'papers'. I was trying to think of a way to cut down 'papers' into smaller categories... no luck yet.

Do we all need to catch up or should we press on? What's next? Gotta keep it narrow enough that the task is doable, but big eough that it makes a bit of difference. Seems like there are readers and sunglasses all over the place around here...

o

Dn't forget to "Count the Items" in the category!!!

This brillant thought from Celtic was the really important key for MY personal wake-up call!!!!

Sooooooo ---- just how many white T-shirts can one person have????

Sometimes the answer to any of these categories can REALLY be shocking!!! LOL!!

o

I also love the "count the items" part of the process.

Last week I counted how many hand towels I had in my bathroom (not guest or kids' bathrooms). I use (maybe) 1 or 2 per week. I had 14! They were all beautifully folded and stacked in the linen closet within the bathroom and they didn't really cause too much trouble, and they were in excellent condition--that is why they were hard to get rid of. It's so much easier to get rid of old and worn things that are always in the way. If I hadn't done the "how many do I have" vs. "how many do I need" I don't think I would have let them go.

So, I kept 5 (probably still too many) and got rid of the others.

I went through our main linen closet and ended up with 2 big garbage bags full of items to take to the Humane Society. They like old blankets, towels, sheets, etc. to use in the animal cages.

Again, this was tricky because I actually have plenty of storage room for these items. But these were things I haven't used in years and probably never will again! I am learning that every space does not need to be filled just because it can be!

o

Let's press on. I'm playing catch up at the same time or when folks are working on a category I don't need to do. I just finished socks, sunglasses and nail polish. I still have five more categories to go. Anyone have a new topic?

Here are some other categories I have weeded through. Some were mentioned on Pt. 1:

tape
medicines
under the bathroom sink
under the kitchen sink
sunglasses
table linens
party supplies
dish towels
return address labels
stamps
pillows
light bulbs
coupons
batteries

Other categories mentioned on the Pt.1 thread that I haven't touched -- I've added a couple:

belts
jewelry
owner's manuals
decorating and other magazines
fabric/crafts/sewing
spices
Xmas decorations
photos
car
paint
purses
reading glasses, eyeglasses
drinking glasses
empty boxes
luggage
tools
nails, screws, etc.
garden supplies
hoses and attachments
notebooks
camping equipment
cosmetics
old letters
pajamas
bathing suits
paperwork
pens and pencils
coins
textbooks
safebox
shoes
clothing
underwear
laundry soap, spot removes
lids (pots, plastic containers, sippy cups)
pet stuff
phonebooks
baby memorabilia
outdoor ornaments
toothcare stuff
TVs, electronic equipment, stereos, speakers

o

Ah yes, the counting! Tre's thread in mid March is what started this whole thing. Who on this earth NEEDS 150 pairs of socks? What a wake up call that was.

Jamie, you are right that just because the space is there, doesn't mean it has to be filled up. I'm finding the empty space to be very clearing and simplifying. Zen like. I am developing an aversion to buying anything because I don't want to store it. Saturday night I won a lovely hat and bag in a raffle and immediately gifted it on - just didn't want to allocate any of my newfound precious space to it. Besides I have a hat I'm fond of already. And how often do you wear a dress hat anyway?

Tina that is quite a list. I'm game for most any of them - except the dreaded photos, papers and Christmas stuff. I still need more successes before those biggies.

Anybody have a dartboard? Should we cut em up and pull from a hat? Tina, can we make you our leader and you pick? Or pick a picker?

o

Old towels and stuff to the Humane Society excellent advice, jamielovescoffee! I have a couple of boxes that are buried deep in the garage that Ill pull out this weekend. And under my husbands bathroom sink is another alljammedtogether mess I can weed through. Same with all the pillows crushed in the closet. But cull my jewelry??? Oh, a pox on you, Tina, for the thought! I wont do it, I tell ya! Not even the cheesiest pair of earrings! Im a vintage costume jewelry collector/dealer. Its my vice and Ill spend time atoning for it in purgatory, but dont ask me to pare down my beauties!

o

Saturday night I won a lovely hat and bag in a raffle and immediately gifted it on

ooh, I hate to enter raffles.

My mom would never let us enter any raffles for gigantic stuffed animals. When I asked her why, she said, "I'm afraid you'll win it." That's what I say to my kids now.

o

Truth be told, the only items I added were: electronics equipment, stereos & speakers, underwear, safebox, table linens, and party supplies! I'll gladly tackle any of the other topics. How about underwear, pajamas/nightgowns, and other dainties?

I have no intention of going anywhere near Xmas decorations, Xmas wrapping paper, photos, clothing, shoes, or jewelry anytime soon. I, too, need some more successes before I think of tackling these topics. Oofasis, I have a large collection of jewelry myself. A couple of years ago, I weeded through it and gave castoffs to a friend who beads and makes jewelry. Recently, I was visiting and she pulled out her stuff and I saw my old jewelry organized in boxes. Don't you know I begged her for a whole bunch of it back? She was kind enough to feel sorry for me! It's a sickness, I know.

I have a bargain with myself regarding clothing -- I recently began working out again after a lapse and my clothing still isn't fitting too well. I will visit the closet at some point after 1-2 months. This is the first time I've ever been a few pounds larger than my clothes, so I'm allowed a delay!

Tina

o

My list so far includes:

Bathroom toiletries
Towels
Hair Accessories
Jewelry
Home office files
Office supplies
Extension cords
Pens
Paper
Craft supplies
Wrapping paper
Ribbons
Clothing
Sheets and pillowcases
Junk drawer (tools, etc.)
Books

That's as far as I've come...I absolutely refuse to count! There's so much more. The garage, the basement...I shudder to think of it. I can't begin to think about photos either.

o

Tina, you are a wild woman. ONE thing, not three! I say pajamas/nightshirts and we do the undies and dainties later as another thing. Oh, and put pantyhose/tights on the list too. I wear hose like once a year now, if that, and I think there is a drawer full!

pj's...sigh, I had to relegate my beloved 'pengies' (=flannel penquin print pj's) to the memory trunk as they are starting to shred. They have been my comfort - DH always knew it was a really really bad time if I took to the pengies. Maybe one, two wearings left in them. I'm saving them for a really bad time.

Claire - is your list what you have done already? You are doing great!

o

Celtic -- I ADORE my flannel pjs -- and my summer light and happy pjs.

And yes -- my DH always knows when it is a BAD night when the jammies, tea and chocolates are brought out!

o

Pajamas/nightshirts it is!

Last night I noticed all my pjs and nighties are either flannel or cotton. My favorites are the cotton pjs I request each Xmas from Garnett Hill. They are a special treat when spring rolls around! I used to have some fancier nighties but I have no idea where they went. Perhaps I need to do a little shopping.

Claire de luna -- You are a whirlwind! Are your floors done? How did they turn out?

Tina

o

OK pj's it is.

But I'm keeping a lot, cause those midlife night sweats can leave me drenched. (Oblivious DH on waking one night: "Why is it so darned humid in here?!" Duh.)

o

Celtic -- for years I have been kicking off the blankets in the unheated br because of night sweats......... I've had nothing but light weight pj's cuz I'd die in anything warm and fuzzy. This past year -- I worked my butt off (literally) and lost 40+ lbs. And I lost the night sweats!!!!! My dr. can't figure it out..... she thinks once my body is used to being this size they may come back.

But now -- I need fuzzy jammies!!! And I need to keep the lightweight pjs in case they do come back!!!

I've never had so many pj's in my life!!!!!

Cathy

o
Next: Keys (and Locks)

These threads have been very inspirational.

I just tackled my key and lock (padlocks, bike locks, etc) assortment.

Keys to locks that no longer exist are worse than useless -- they get me confused!

-Lena

o

Celtic, I almost choked on my sandwich over your husband's comment! You are so funny! I think it's perfectly fine to keep all the pjs you need -- you know what works for you. The number of items needed per category varies.

Cathy, congrats on your weight loss success! A lot of hard work and determination goes into that.

Oh, keys, lenam, good for you! Excellent topic. My drawer is a real mess.

Today I weeded my owners' manuals file and did a once-over for some other files.

Okay, I've added pantyhose/tights and keys/padlocks to the list.

Tina

o

Hi ya'll. Yes, Celtic that is my list that's been done. I had four rooms of my house completely emptied and I was not putting anything back I absolutely do not need! I still have to deal with the mess I've made in the other parts of the house, but I'm getting there. I'm not in consumer mode these days either, unless it's something to organize what I have. Well that's not entirely true; I bought two pillows for my tv couch yesterday to give it some much needed color, but the old ones are outta' there! DH suggested we should have looked through our pillow inventory, so I guess you can tell I'll be going through those next! I agree with you completely that the secret to organizing is to organize less stuff. I also hear you about night sweats, and I'm keeping my 'jammies too. (My adjustable speed ceiling fans are very well used.) Cathy, I'd like to have your problem!

Tina, the cardboard is slated for this weekend. It's also big trash pickup day on Saturday, so I need to go see what I can find. I wish I was truly a whirlwind, but more like slow and steady Eddie. Eventually I'll end up where I meant to go! Yes, the floors are done (thanks for asking) and just beautiful. I also got new windows which I can actually see out of, and will be able to clean. I never knew anyone could get so excited about windows! From the outside looking in should be incentive enough to keep those rooms cleared.

I organized the cd's last night by putting them in categories and slipping them back into their cases. I've lost one and have been all over this house looking for it. IT'S BUGGING ME. Where did it go? I bought 4 at the thrift store this morning, BUT I have room for them and I didn't have these. (Yes, it sounds like justification, however I also believe it's perfectly okay to have collections if you use them. I mean, who could pass up Van Morrison and The Best of Wilson Pickett?)

Lena, absolutely true! Throw those old keys away. (As I look to make sure all of mine have something to lock/unlock.) I did make sure both of us knew where the little wrench is that will unlock the bathroom door in case someone doesn't come out.

I got more matching hangars for the closet yesterday. You know those slim-line, felt covered ones? They have become my favorite organizing accessory. Someone had the suggestion of keeping their winter/summer clothes in separate locations on the hangars so the closet switch was easy. I can do that. Guess what's on the weekend agenda?

o

Ok -- I have a nasty one I'm going thru tomorrow. My DH is the typical farmboy -- never know when you might need it. I tripped over a battery (dead, mind you!) yesterday and decided it was time to get rid of them -- I saw 5 in the first 6' in the door!!

Landfill we go! And there is no charge -- I'll get him whipped into shape yet!

Cathy

o

Clink, here any place that sells car batteries by law has to accept dead ones for recycing. No purchase required either.

Well,the pj's were easy enough since I'd organized the closet recently. Ditched a couple. I'm keeping three robes: a thick chenille from the Tall Girls shop in Chicago c. 1985 (it goes to the floor!!), a cotton waffle spa-like one, and a seersucker I lifted from the county mental instution (my going away present after 16 years service)

KEYS!!! Oh,Lena, what a perfect entry! Keys have to be next. And I will count them - I bet there are over a hundred I have no clue about. Now and then I've seen a cool craft thing incorporating keys, so that made me hold onto them. But I am not crafty. Keys are all in one desk drawer. Tidy. But pointless.

Hmmmm, I'm thinking I need to look into a dump run: busted TV, water damaged textbooks, cabinet hardware from renovations going back 20 years, pounds o' keys... Already the warped beliefs that this stuff should be good for something are starting up. Like it is "bad" to just dump it. Cripes I've held on to a lot of this crap for decades. I recycle. I don't waste food. I am a good person. Why is junk so hard?? Because I can fathom some possible, potential ,kinda, longshot use for it by somebody someday under some circumstance?? That is nuts.

Permission to purge please?!

o

Purge away!!! LOL!!

I consider the garage as the ultimate Black Hole -- things go into it -- and are never seen again ....... (cue the spooky music!)

Yep -- lots of night-time garments kept here too -- night sweats etc.

o

Well that's it for me! I'm a bad, bad girl. I stared at this little pile o junk: a rusty strainer, an unattractive Christmas cookie tin, a wooden lemon juicer, a jar lid loosener and an odd bladed thing for cutting I don't know what, and a couple other questionably serviceable things from out of the cupboards. Then stared at the kitchen trash bag halfway out the door. Back and forth, back and forth. Hmm. Back and forth, back and forth. Hmmm. Stuffed 'em in the bag and out it went. I will surely pay somehow. Seriously, I have a terrible time throwing something out that has the remotest shred of function left! I can part with it, no problem giving stuff to Goodwill etc - it is the throwing stuff in the trash that paralyzes me. Anybody else have that issue?

Oh, and there WERE over 100 keys in that drawer. Keys for every car I've ever driven, place I've lived in or worked at, and tons I have no clue about...

What's next? The keys kinda skidded me over to the next drawer: eyeglasses and sunglasses.

o

Hi you guys,
I have been following your quest to organize and eliminate stuff and have done quit a bit myself. Tonight DH is at a meeting and I am board so I was looking around and went to the holidays forum, never even looked at it before, and I thought you all would get a kick out of one thread over there.

I don't know how to link it but look for the "What an Estate Sate!!!" I am sure it will make even the most cluttered of you feel better. I cant imagine how anyone could let all this stuff just sit for 25 years but my daughter has said she will just leave my house as is when I am gone and just save it for my grandson so in another 25 years you might see it here again.

Claudia

o

Wow, that's a lot of stuff. Just kinda goes on and on, room after room...

I am feeling better! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: estate sale

o

I'm sure it was pulled out for the sale, don't 'cha think? I want the yardlong, the violin, those pastel dishes (can you imagine how much it's been costing me to ship the dishes I've been buying on ebay?), the linens...the house. I want that entire house and everything in it!! I do, I really do. I'll just pet all of it and let someone else have it later.

But really, how sad. All of those pictures of people with no connection to anyone anymore.

Gloria

o

Eyeglasses: done! DH has many needs: different for billiards, motorcycling, sun vs. shade, with vs without contacts...recycled the spice drawer insert with a towel cushion (spice drawer is next and I've discovered they can stand up - fits em all that way)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Top desk drawers (keys purged from left one):

No dump trip today. Apparently they prefer to pick up unless it is recyclable. The damaged books, dead TV, etc just goes out with the trash. Guess those high taxes are good for something. Nine boxes out of the basement!! Found art supplies (yay), couple other missed things like DH's geneaology tracings. Since dump won't take the books, I sorted the damaged from good. Here are the good ones freshening in the sun. Some for the library and a cache of classic analytic texts I'm gonna look into passing on. Some fledging therapist may want the implied legitimacy in their office...

Wooooo-wooooo, this is feeling good!!

o

I'm ready for another topic. I'm going to be working on bill paying tomorrow, but need some culling tasks I can do when I need a break. I think I'll start with two topics that I know don't have that many items but still need to be weeded -- keys and makeup/lipsticks. I don't want to look at anything that requires reading. Okay, another smaller category for me is bed linens. Alright, that should do it for me tomorrow.

Celtic -- great organizing of eyeglasses! Ingenious repurposing of the spice drawer insert. And good for you for pitching those things right in the trash.

Hey, where's Clink . . . did she make it back from dropping the batteries at the dump?

Tina

o

DH was home for the last three days and we are exhausted. The dump trip was very successful --- nine batteries and 4 tires. The sad thing is -- DH found two more batteries. But next week we are going back with old paint and the other batteries.

We did make reasonable progress on the barn.... still so very much work to do but the flower farm is taking a ton of time. Its looking good and we are using old wood and old tools to add more charm. I took an old broken rake (broom rake) and cut the broken handle down some more and stuck it in a large pot -- its a mini-trellis.

Went thru more books -- found more that will go to Restore. And some that will hit the garbage. I keep remember Talley Sue's motto -- Books are not sacred. How true!!!

I'm a little behind but my next culling is dish towels.

Cathy

o

Wow. Everybody is making good progress!

I'm thinking vases next. So many piled up that came with arrangements over the years. But three or four different shapes is probably more than enough. Seriously. Cause if I get loaded down with flower arangements, I'll probably have a bigger problem than vases. I'll figure somebody else can worry about vases then.

Four vases it is.

o

Celtic -- Where are you?? I need vases!!! Well, actually, I need "big" flower vases and everyone saves bud vases for me -- which are way too small!! We need to trade problems!

Cathy

o

ummmmmmm........Celtic?

why THREE lint rollers? Surely one would do? Or, one in the drawer, and one in the suitcase? Maybe take one to the office?

OK, OK, use 'em up first, but....three?

But congrats, wow, lots of progress!

(I should do vases, though I did them once already. Still, I prob. don't need all the ones I have)

o

Great job, everyone.

I went through my sewing stuff this week. I don't really sew, but finally used up that spool of white thread I've had for...um...three decades? I had to go buy a new one! While I was at it, I cleaned out my three little sewing baskets. My sister (the one who doesn't sew) told me to purge the old 1930's (definitely pre WWII) sewing machine. I spent $20 on it about 30 years ago, about the same time I had a new spool of white thread, and that's all the money I'm willing to invest in a sewing machine. I do have to drag it out once in a great while, and since I actually know how to thread it and put thread on the bobbin, I'm reluctant to let it go. It's supposed to be portable, but I swear it weighs 30 lbs. (Do you sense a theme here?) Anyway, I got through the sewing baskets, so at least everything I don't use much of is tidy. I'm going to actually throw out the tiny little pins that arthritis won't allow me to pick up...I replaced those with the big round heads that I can get hold of. WHY do I have a button collection? I have snaps, elastic, and...Velcro! I even have a small can of oil my other sister (the one that sews) used on the machine when she was trying to use it once. (The machine goes forwards and backwards...she just shook her head in pity for me.) Oh, I just hate to sew, yet I have this stuff anyway. Hopefully I can shorten those curtains later on today without too many problems, but I wouldn't bet on it. At least those sewing needles are good for digging out splinters, and I'll know right where they are when that happens!

o

Vases! Gulp . . . I've determined I am exempt from that category, if only because in my house vases are considered Items of Beauty and most have their own storage/display space. I have a couple of glass vases that belonged to my grandmother, and these are the ones I use the most. Okay, I actually just counted my vases, most of which are the art pottery I collect. The number of vases I have: 70. In addition, there are 10 art pottery planters and decorative bowls. To be totally up front here, I also have a collection of small vases in a case, about 20 total. I currently operate on the one-in-one-out rule if I see a piece of pottery I want to buy. A couple of months ago, I weeded out my vase collection and gave several away. I've pretty much got it down to my favorites. I know this sounds like a lot of stuff, but our house has several built-ins and the shelves are just perfect for pottery display.

Clink, glad your trip to the dump was successful and work on the barn is progressing. Hey, you'll have to let me know where to send my cast-off vases!

Claire de luna, personally I think the older, metal gear sewing machines are preferable. I had a conversation with a sewing machine repairman and he said that during the 60s-70s a lot of the machines switched to plastic gears and that they jam and break much more easily. He told me I had made a mistake in getting rid of my 1940s electric Singer and that I should have instead tossed my mother's later Singer (which gave me a lot of problems). This might be a situation where it's best to hold onto a simpler, older machine, especially if you rarely use it and it works well.

So, today I haven't done any culling yet. I have been a bill-paying mad woman and it is all done, including the filing. Yay! I'm going to have a late lunch and then start working on a topic.

Tina

o

Ha ha, Talley Sue. I just knew you or someone whould catch the three lint rollers!! But there were EIGHT before I culled them....Not sure who is worse: me or DH with the multiples of things. Ridiculous.

o

LOL, celtic! One of them looks nearly used up--you can toss it soon, right?

I've heard that about plastic gears, too, Tina--my mom made it a point to buy a Kenmore before they switched to plastic gears. That was in 76 or something.

If most of what you do is hem curtains, do you need a zigzag? Forward and back work really well most of the time. The only thing that might make me suggest Claire de luna get a new machine is the weight issue--if she would find herself more willing to drag the machine out to use it, bcs it was lighter, then I'd say get a new one. You can learn to thread a new one, too.

For someone who thought they were going to toy w/ becoming a hobbyist sewer, then I'd suggest more bells & whistles (bcs I think bells & whistles can seduce us into "playing" with the machine).

o

I've just been unpacking the large moving boxes that hold the smaller boxes that hold vases and pottery. I boxed up each piece individually and then put the small boxes into the bigger box, to keep them all safe for the long move.

I'd decided that I have too many vases and need to get rid of some, and then come here and see that Tina has 70! More than 70 really! So now I don't feel so bad. :-) But I still want to get rid of some that are pretty and nice but I don't really use or have space for.

Over the weekend I read in Real Simple magazine an article about only needing 3 vase shapes. Here's a link to the article.

I don't know how many I'll end up keeping, but probably more than 3.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 vases

o

I actually ditched a vase that I later wish I'd kept. It was Lenox (which I hate, bcs it's so gray), and sort of ornately molded. It had a very small opening, and a larger base.

It worked really, really well for roses once their stems had been cut sort of short. Its narrow neck allowed me to angle the roses into a dome; the wider base meant the bottoms of the stems could stick out to the side.

Here is a link that might be useful: it's the 4th one down on the left

o

Thanks, Tina; that actually helps. Eeeewwww, Horrors, Talley Sue! No, most of what I do isn't anything in particular; it's just for whatever I need to do at the time and usually only the most basic of simple things. I just need curtains at the moment after we replaced the windows in all our bedrooms. I don't mind dragging it out to use...the weight isn't really a problem. My issues are not only with sewing, but measuring, cutting and pinning! I did get out the needle and thread for a ten minute sewing session this morning to hand-sew a new pillow I'd brought home that developed a hole in the seam when I took the tags off. I took care of it, but I will never enjoy it or do it for fun. Frankly, I'd rather clean out the garage. Strangely, I find hand sewing easiest of all if all it entails is stitching a hole together even if my fingers don't bend the way they used to.

OK, I don't know if I should admit this, but I have two lint brushes and a roller and I'm not getting rid of them. The roller is for my lampshades, one lives in my suitcase, and other in the front hall closet for the dog hair that will inevitably end up all over me.

I have a fondness for art pottery vases; I wish I'd started a collection before they got so expensive. Celtic, I had to grin at your description of the implication of having too many vases!

I discovered a new place to purge this morning; it's under the built-in bar in our den. I never open those doors, and was a little shocked to find a bunch of old vcr tapes. They'll be making their exit very soon!

o

I think you two line brushes and the roller sound right--esp. since they're in different places for different uses. (that's why I suggested one of Celtic's move to the suitcase). I just thought it was funny to see 3 of them, bcs that's exactly what Celtic said she was targeting--the "many versions of the same thing."

I never open those doors, and was a little shocked to find....

isn't it funny how some storage area like that in our homes can become completely invisible? This happens to me, too. I think it's inevitable, bcs things don't up and leave once they're not needed. They seem to come IN the house under their own steam, but they sure don't volunteer to leave. And, we find ourselves gradually not needing them, and gradually forgetting them.

o

Talk about disorganization . . . Please pardon my off topic rant here. I've been trying to find my mother for over an hour. I live near Phila, and she's in Florida. I received a call from the retirement community where she lives telling me my mother had fallen and cut her forehead, requiring sutures. My mother asked to be taken via ambulance to a certain hospital and it was suggested I contact them to learn of her condition. My mother lives independently, so the person from the retirement community's health center wouldn't know anything further unless she was brought back there, vs. her own apartment. So, I was given the hospital number and I've called and my mother hasn't been in the emergency room. I also called another nearby hospital, but no mother there either. Thank goodness this isn't a monumental incident, because I would be freaking out. Although the issue of falling is getting to be one that may eventually play a role in my mother's living situation, I'm hoping it is not at that point yet.

I have a doctor's appointment of my own not long from now and several important errands that I have to take care of. I'm sure nothing serious is going to happen -- the fall actually occurred last night, but someone who saw my mother this morning thought the cut looked a little deep. I don't like the idea that my mother just went to bed (maybe it happened in the middle of the night), but she's always been rather stoic about injuries, and my grandmother was, too. Anyway, I'm keeping myself calm, but I would really like to know about any of the testing they might do as well -- head scan, evaluation for alertness, etc., and even though I have power of attorney, it's a real pain to handle things long distance, especially due to all the new confidentiality laws that have gone into effect. I figure I'll call the hospital back in a little bit, as well as the retirement community's health center, and hopefully I'll find out what's going on.

Okay, now I need to go take care of myself and do all the other things I need to do today.

Tina

o

Clink, I'd happily gift you my vases but they are 5 cheapo ones that came with arrangements over the years. Doubt you want them.

Claire, a cabinet like this? Shoot, and I did candles and maps and games already (yes, that is a vintage Ouija board). DH and I agree this is now the worst clutter hole in the house:

I want to say thank you for the company on this journey. This process is really helping me "get" what my problem is with hoarding. It is two fold, and the lint rollers is a perfect example of one part. Tally, am I to THROW AWAY perfectly good lint rollers, knowing at some point I will then have to go buy one? I really struggle with that. Maybe because DH is toying with early retirement and I have some worry about long term finances. Timing is not good for wanton tossing of stuff that I know I will need to buy later. The "BUT I'LL JUST NEED TO PAY GOOD MONEY FOR IT LATER" argument. Maybe the solution is disciplined, orderly secondary storage of a sane amount of the extra. And a workable means to use it up. But get it out of the way while it waits its turn. I have a shelved storage room in the basement, increasing open as I cull, eg those departing textbooks.

The second part is the "BUT IT WAS A GIFT". That is almost worth another thread. I feel obliged to honor the sentiment. And hate to hurt someone's feelings when their gift is nowhere in sight. But why would my MIL give me a rustic country blue pottery set for the kitchen counter - when I had no blue, no country and almost no counter in my kitchen? My style is pretty obvious: plain and cleanlined. I don't want, like, or use these ornate platters, folkart button people, mini Japanese sand garden with water feature....sigh. Or this:

A gift from coworkers upon my father's death years ago. Took my breath away then. Still does.

Permission to purge?

o
RE: RE: Pt. 2 -- Celticmoon's plan to combat hoarding

Oh, Tina, we were crossposting. Positive thoughts to you on finding your mother and her being OK. Health care centers are nototious for bad communication. I'm sure she is fine.

o

oh, I wouldn't say throw the lint rollers away, just use them up, or consider storing them somewhere else that they'll turn out to be more useful.

Sort of like this wise point:
"Maybe the solution is disciplined, orderly secondary storage of a sane amount of the extra. And a workable means to use it up.

I think that "workable means to use it up" is what prompted my suggestion to tuck one in the suitcase, or take one to work. So you can use it up there.

"But get it out of the way while it waits its turn. I have a shelved storage room in the basement..."

One caveat here: don't store it somewhere that's so hard to remember or out of the way, that you won't go get the stuff when you need it. Or won't think you HAVE any extras anymore. Sticking those extra lint rollers in the drawer, where you will look for them, seems sensible to me. You'll see that you've used one up, or that you still have 2 others, and you won't be tempted to buy anothe rone bcs you *think* you're out, and after all, they don't go bad. "out of the way" can be badly inconvenient.

Also remember--now that the lint rollers are all in a place that's easily found and used, you won't keep buying new ones (you can just buy refills!), so it won't actually get *worse*.

Also, someone here once said something I ponder now and then, because it was so wise. That being willing to let go of stuff they *might* need again was a gesture of faith--in their own ability to provide for themselves the stuff they would TRULY need, and in God's ability to care for them. If they truly needed something, they would be able to get it again.

Of course, you *know* you will eventually use those lint rollers (there's no "if" there), so I'm w/ you on not just cavalierly tossing them.

But you might also place an asterisk somewhere to remind you not to make decisions based on fear, and not to underestimate your future ability to buy a new lint roller.

o
permission to purge

And if it helps, I grant you permission to purge the gifts.

In fact, I *encourage* you to purge gifts that have bad vibes.

It is actually a mean trick, to keep presents like that, I think. (I've pontificated on this theme here before, at some point in the past)

What your mom REALLY wanted to give you was the feeling of being loved and indulged. What she ACCIDENTALLY gave you was a reminder that she doesn't really "get" your decorating style.

So hold onto the good feelings that were the true "thought" behind the gift, and toss the negative reminder. You will actually be doing a very GOOD thing for your relationship.

I did a similar thing w/ the mugs and stuff I've been given over the years by a particular aunt-in-law. And I have found that I actually have FONDER memories of their generosity, because I don't have to actually live with the stuff. I only have the emotions BEHIND the stuff, which is welcome to take up room in my heart. Since I don't have to dust that gloppy Christmas picture frame, I can even remember that they gave it to me w/ NO resentment, and w/ only fondness.

Will you remember that your coworkers were sympathetic and supportive when your dad died? Then toss the arrangement, and keep the memory, untainted by the frisson of dread and resentment that the arrangement itself, and the burden of keeping it, has inspired.

Does that help any? You seem a very thoughtful, aware person; I bet you can remember all the caring you experienced at work, without that arrangement. And all the encouragement from your mom, without those country blue kitchen accessories.

o

Celtic -- Purge away!! I have always had trouble getting rid of things that were gifts... but I am getting better. I feel overwhelmed at times with "stuff". And I like a cozy country feel (Hey! It's 115 year-old-Iowa-farmhouse. I'm allowed to do "country!")

But does every cabinet and cupboard have to be exploding with stuff???

And how do I find the balance that works for me?

It's harsh but I am going with the attitude that this is my house and I have the right to decorate it the way I want --- not my friends, not my relatives. So when I get another cheap plastic rooster to sit in my kitchen -- I really don't feel bad about tossing it in an appropriate length of time. I'm going with the 6 month rule.

My big problem is with my flower farm and the needs of it. I serve tea here at the farm so I need lots of cute vintage pieces to use. Vintage table linens -- pitchers -- trays.

I use those cheap vases to "market" the business by arranging flowers and taking them to businesses and people that have been nice to me. I also use them for customers that are taking them to use as gifts. Even GoodWill wants $4-5 for them. So I always hope to get some. But I need a lot in a season --50-60.

This seasonal storage stuff is becomning a problem -- hopefully, by cleaning the barn -- I can pack some of the stuff up in clear plastic boxes and store. We will see.

Cathy

o

Thanks all. Helpful thoughts. I guess I can get myself to have faith I will be able to afford a lint roller if I need one years from now.

Tally, hmmm, how to say this delicately... This is my MIL, not my Mom. And my MIL is, uh, kind of legendary for off target gifting. At Christmas she used to buy all the males the same one thing and all the females the same one thing, say a bathrobe. Despite her kids and their spouses all having wildly different personalities, tastes and lifestyles. Not exactly "the feeling of being loved and indulged" you describe. The worst was the Christmas themed sweaters with the pom poms on strings unfortunately placed to hang right at the nips. Yikes. (I'm guessing they were on sale.)

We finally got her to join the "pick one name" as the rest of the family does for Christams, but just my luck she got me. Gave me a truly bizarre set of a red furry knitted scarf with lots of sequins and feathers, and a matching furry sequin knit bag on a string. What am I, 12? (I'm 54) They're still hanging around here someplace too.

See, I'm not so thoughtful. In fact I sound downright ungrateful. Repeat: It's the thought that counts, it's the thought that counts...

You all are right though. Makes no sense to hold onto this stuff forever just because it was a gift.

o

Celtic - it sounds as if your MIL doesn't even care about what she gives people, then, if it's the same thing for everyone. Don't worry about getting rid of this stuff! Does she ever actually ask to see it? It's YOUR house, after all, not hers!

As for buying multiples, when we were first married, and money was tight, I would try to get bargains by getting a larger amount or multiples of things. Now I know how we live, and unless I KNOW it will be used, I go for smaller amounts. DH has not learned this yet since I do most of the shopping. He bought a gallon of bleach the other day (we had a small bottle under the sink that he didn't see because he was looking for a gallon jug). This new jug will sit unused for years. Sigh!

o

also, by holding onto it, you keep reminding yourself of how little thought (or how ineffective that thought) she puts into the presents. Ditch them, get that baggage out of your relationships.

MIL/DIL relationships are so easily difficult--if you don't keep that stuff, I bet it will be easier.

o

Oh, there's a lot of stuff being talked about here! I don't believe anyone should ever hold themselves hostage to a gift someone gave them. I have actually quit giving physical gifts so much any more, but instead give a gift of my time whether it's a phone call, making a meal or hosting for an evening. I certainly don't need any more stuff!

celtic, if that is the extent of the worst clutter hole in your house, it sounds like you have things well under control! Do you know I have the same ouija board somewhere in my basement? (That kind of scares me a little, but I love my Tarot cards!) My mom saved it for me and passed it along. (It's Weird, some of the items she saved for me.) And yes, Talley Sue, that was a completely invisible cabinet, since there's actually a Blue Air filter sitting in front of it. It looks like having clean air is more important than using the cabinet for storage!

Cathy, where are you in the midwest? (Kansas City here.) We can still buy cheap vases at our local Goodwill. In fact, if I need one for a flower arrangement that's where I head. I figure it's one of the major recycling places around for stuff like that! Your flower farm sounds delightful, although I don't doubt that it's a lot of work. Storing things like that in the barn sounds ideal. I often use green plastic vases and floral foam for arrangements; would that be less cost prohibitive than buying vases?

o

Ha, Claire, I found my Tarot cards in the basement boxes Saturday! Kept them and a few interpretive books. Maybe I'll become a gypsy Tarot reader/ fortune teller. I have the requisite bad teeth and mop of long grey hair already...

Clink, if you happen to be near Milwaukee I will bring you the vases! I envy your flower farm. (The one in my head, not likely the real working one)

Yeah. Tarot reading, gypsy flower farmer. That could work.

Foks, what's next? Something easy like shot glasses? (I spotted a couple. Clueless how or why they came to live here. They should go.) Or something more challenging and invasive, like.................(drumroll)........ baskets?

o

Oh! (groan) BASKETS. I have lots of baskets. I love my baskets dog gone it. There are baskets that came out of my home office that are sitting in my dining room waiting to go somewhere to live. Oh...I want to be like Scarlet and think about that tomorrow. Gosh, can't we consider them storage containers?

o

Just recently I got called on the carpet for purging a friend's gift. I was taken aback when she directly asked where it was. I explained I had appreciated the gift and her thoughtfulness, but after a few years my husband and I had become swamped with my parents' things from when they moved, and my husband's mother's things after she died, and we had had to part with a lot. We came to point that we felt it was just "stuff" and it wasn't possible to keep everything. She asked what I did with her gift, and I told her the truth -- that I didn't remember, but it could have been sold at a yard sale or donated to a thrift shop. I suggested that if there was a next time I'd ask her if she wanted the item back, and she seemed to like that thought. I indicated that in recent times my husband and I enjoy receiving gifts related to activities and food much more, as we still have plenty of stuff. She agreed. She then went on to describe how she is overwhelmed with all her stuff and has to go through boxes of it before she moves. I offered to help her sort through things, and she took me up on it. Since that time she has obviously been contemplating her stuff, because she has mentioned it again, but no longer is she focused on the gift I gave away.

Didn't do any culling yesterday or today, but tomorrow's another day! Baskets isn't a category I have more than one or two of, so I'll go back to my original plan of doing keys, bed linens, and makeup/lipstick.

Mom is no longer MIA, although I haven't spoken to her. She was exhausted from the experience. I was assured she is just fine, no head injury, coherent, etc. Whew!

Tina

o

Celtic -- You live in Milwaukee??? I love Milwaukee!! I love the market downtown and spend waaay too much money at the West Allis cheese shop!!

We get up there 2-3 times a year as my DD lives on Kinnickinnic (near Lulu's and Maya de Riveria -- fab eating!)

If it wasn't such a bad time of year for us -- I'd figure out how to get those vases. Just purge them. I know I'll end up with enough -- I always do.

I'm tossing paper -- that's always been my big hangup.

Cathy

o

Clink, too funny, I was on KK today! Probably drove right by your DD's house.

No trouble to hold onto the vases. Just three so far, and a short pink wavy plastic one you stick a piece of foam in. I have plenty of space here - space is not my problem. Too much stuff is the problem. Why don't I stick them in a box and leave them at your DD's next time I'm on the south side? Just email me her address/phone. If you want them, they are all yours.

Tina, relieved your Mom is OK. Didn't want to say, but it made me think of a man here missing, maybe six weeks now. Had hit his head, then disappeared. Posters everywhere, etc. Sad.

Claire, of course baskets are containers. When they contain things. When they are piled in the basement or garage, they are clutter. Big difference. (See, Tally Sue, how much I am learning?) Baskets is a big one though. I'm doing shot glasses. (all 4)

o

Keys, bed linens, and makeup/lipstick are done. Seems unfair to count them because they didn't take much time. I must have culled makeup when I was working on the bathroom cabinet. I'm going back to the master list to see what else I need to catch up on. I have a feeling I'm getting down to the categories I want to avoid . . .

Tina

o

Thanks again for providing the motivation to get on with things! I may not be ready to commit to a particular category but I am culling and tossing and putting things back in the proper place.

I find myself revisiting previously streamlined drawers, cabinets and cubbies. Does anyone else do this? Maybe it is because it is a form of procrastination or maybe I just want to admire my spaces? LOL. I too am getting close to the tough categories/spaces. Things like garages, car interiors (the glove compartment!!!!!), the basement, the sewing room!!! HELP!

Keep up the great work and keep those posts coming for weaklings like me!
T

o

While I was dumping maps yesterday, I found another catagory: ash trays. Found several in the back of the bottom desk drawer, where they've been since we got them as wedding presents (back then, gifts were MUCH less expensive). Can't remember who gifted them, but if I can find the lighters that are around here somewhere, they can all go out together!

Can't find my keys - they're in a shoe box in the basement and they are not even ours. We inherited them from a neighbor. Isn't that disgusting? If I find them I'll hang the brass ones on the wall.

And another thing that needs decluttering around here is the list of favorites on the computer. And old email. There's one from Jan '06 still sitting in my inbox.

o

I also need to redo previously organized drawers, etc. And each time, I weed out even more items. I think it's my state of mind when I'm tackling it, meaning was I in a "throw out" mood or not.

o

Glad you're back, Tre. I've really been motivated by everyone's posts and suggestions. Just started noticing there seems to be a cumulative effect to the culling process -- once a certain amount of items are cleared out it provides the impetus for larger organization projects.

Thanks, Plow in. I'll add ashtrays and lighters to the master list.

Marie, I definitely revisit drawers and notice there are more items that can go out. I try to minimize the number of times I have to rework the same area, and try to organize when I'm feeling disciplined and energetic. Although that's not always possible, and sometimes it's the once you get going that you feel more inspired to toss things.

Tina

o

..."Just started noticing there seems to be a cumulative effect to the culling process -- once a certain amount of items are cleared out it provides the impetus for larger organization projects."

Tina, that must be why I am ripping into my office this weekend. Might have bit off a bot too big a project here though...

o

Storming here. How about adding flashlights and of course the proper batteries for said flashlights???
Celtic I am so impressed by your efforts in your office. I can only imagine how great it will feel to walk into a paint, organized space. KEEP IT UP! Love seeing the results too!

o

Flashlights and batteries it is.

Good by me since I did them last month, ha ha. But this office crap is gonna keep me busy into next week, and I hsve plenty of culling to do there!

o

Hoo-boy! Spent 3 hours in the basement (WITH DH) to try to find things to throw out in the big junk collection day sometime next week, for which I paid $65 for a permit (sharing with neighbors). We are at 2 completely opposite ends of thinking about this clean-up process. Everything he picked up was worth saving because we might need it someday. Mind you, we're both over 80, and I, for one, never intend to paint, or scrape, or sand anything ever again. And he doesn't, either. After spending the first half hour yelling, we each explained our position (the one about being able to buy a replacement in the future went over like a lead balloon)(remember the depression?) We finally filled 2 grocery bags with stuff to toss (garbage day tomorrow). We're left with a boxfull of paint brushes, a carton of "treasures" for our son to look over, 2 arms from a Hallowe'en costume from about 1972, a hugh wooden box, and about 2 boxes of garage sale items. Maybe. And all this is from ONE 3x4 corner of half of the basement. I honestly don't know how I feel - good, I guess, but this is hard work. Alone, I would have taken half the time and tossed 3 times as much, but I guess that's not fair to DH.
We have about 5 more days to work on this. Wish us luck.

o

Best to you, Plow_in!!!!

Might DH fall for the "Think of the money it costs to own this space to store/heat/keep it in" line? Or the "What about the time and money wasted getting a duplicate because it is so hard to find anything" line?

I'm both charmed and dismayed at the thought of you both arguing over the stuff. If DH and I are both around in 30 years, I hope by then we will have found a resolution to that already 25 year old struggle... sigh.

Good luck to you!

o

Might DH fall for the "Think of the money it costs to own this space to store/heat/keep it in"

No, because he's spending that money anyway. It's not EXTRA money. Getting rid of the stuff won't mean he has more money in his pocket.

Only really will the "it's not good anymore" work.

I understand the "be fair to DH" argument, but sometimes I think that's grossly unfair to YOU. How much he really wants to keep this stuff is just not as high, on the scale of 1 to 10, as YOUR desire to get rid of that stuff.

I don't ask my husband very often. Unless it's specifically HIS (as opposed to "ours"), I don't ask him. I toss it. Painting stuff, old Halloween costumes, etc.--those are "family" items, and I'm the family member in charge of deep storage. I don't ask his input on anything unless it's specifically his--which means, he only gets say over his clothes and his hobby stuff.

At 80, it's time to start thinking of your son, and get rid of stuff so that he won't have to, should you need to move and be unable to help.

o

I wish you luck Plow In. It's hard to purge with someone who doesn't think like you do. My parents were depression kids, and it was extremely hard for my mom to downsize when they sold their large home to go into Assisted Living. My dad on the other hand, could have lived easily without most of it. I hope your husband can get on a roll. One of my biggest motivations is that I don't want anyone else to have to deal with my mess if something happens to me. Good luck to both of you with the next five days!

o

Talk about seeing the results of your own hard work, here's a little recap of my afternoon and evening. My thanks to all of you for your support, my culling buddies!

Today was our first time entertaining since I've been busy culling and organizing. What a different experience! All my tasks were so easy. Meal prep was simple, as small tools and prep dishes were easy to locate and take from cabinets. I had to find tablecloths for the dining room and patio tables, which was a breeze since I had just straightened and weeded table linens. I enjoyed selecting napkins to coordinate, as well as candles (also recently culled) for the center of the tables. I went to my jelly cupboard and found serving dishes for the main entree and side dishes. Then I also got out the second set of dishes and set the table. Wine glasses were brought out from the sideboard. Because I was able to do all of this so quickly ahead of time, by the time folks arrived, everything was ready and looked nice -- I did, too. (I'm usually running around feeling stressed.) I had time to straighten the kitchen and set up everything buffet style, which leaves our smaller dining table less crowded and eliminates passing plates.

I could never have imagined the the total effect that simply culling various items and organizing my kitchen cabinets could have on my experience and enjoyment of entertaining. So much less stress, and I actually had fun setting the table and getting ready. I didn't have to think about which tablecloths had stains, candles that were in good shape, where are the candleholders, etc. Being able to retrieve dishes from my jelly cupboard without having to remove piles of stuff was wonderful. Oh, at one point as people were discussing a topic in the livingroom before dinner, someone suggested looking something up on the computer, so I was able to get my laptop quickly from my recently organized mini-office area and bring it to the coffee table.

Being able to achieve these simple goals throughout the day with ease really had a positive effect on my mood and enjoyment of the day. I am inspired to continue on with more topics, even the difficult ones!

Tina

o

Good for you Tina! Isn't that a wondeful feeling? And you really get to enjoy your guests.

We spent the weekend out in the garden. I'm almost thru planting --- 9000 annuals this year. We are now up to an acre in cut flower production. It rained on Saturday so DH spent the day cleaning the garage. And found another battery(!!!) of course! But he is making progress........ He is realizing that he spends too much time looking for stuff and not enough time doing stuff!

My potting shed is now clean and neat and ready for customers. I do have to organize the milk jugs I use for the "picking" -- customers saved bag after bag for me this winter. Tough thing to store. I have to think of a good way. Short term storage -- I can string them up and hang from a rafter in the barn but they get really dirty in the long term.

Time to get to work.
Cathy

o

Tina, what an affirming experience!! Very vivid description, your relaxation and joy in order really comes through. Happy for you that your work is paying off!

Next up for me: pantyhose and tights. I think most of these are leftover from the 80's. I hardly wear em anymore.

o

Alright, Celtic, pantyhose/tights it is. I need a topic, too, but it's getting hard to tip-toe around certain items on the list!

I have made tick marks next to: clothing, shoes, belts, purses, pantyhose/tights, and bathing suits. Still on track with working out consistently, so I should be on target to work on my clothing closet in about 1-2 months. I am starting to prepare for this task and thinking about what I'm wearing, etc., and have culled some obvious items such as unworn shoes. This is good timing since I will be ready early-mid summer to plan for fall and winter wardrobe purchases.

I think today I'll finish working on my car. I started the other day by clearing the interior compartments and gloveboxes, but the trunk is full of thrift shop donations and the new shoes I might be able to consign. So, I need to do a drop-off, stop at the consignment shop, and then head to the car wash. I have some to-do's that need to be taken care of first, so I'll just have to see what I can get done today.

Tina

o
Forgot to say

Clink, I wanted to say how amazing that sounds to have planted an acre of 9000 annuals! I can imagine what a lovely sight it would be as one approaches your farmhouse and cut flower business. And you and your husband have done so much at the same time to organize the barn, garage and potting shed. You must be feeling quite good about all you've accomplished. Sounds like your summer season is off to a great start.

Tina

o

Still didn't get my car washed, but it is empty and cleared out, trunk and all. Thank goodness! I stopped at the Salvation Army to drop off some housewares and a few obvious clothing culls. Originally planned to take several pairs of unworn (yes, I admit it) or barely worn shoes to a consignment shop around the corner. Well, once I got to the Army, I decided that I was just giving them the shoes, too. No more extra steps to drag out this process! Didn't have the same level of good feelings that I get when dropping off stuff, but I am relieved it's over. My lesson: don't buy any more shoes until I analyze my clothing closet and determine what I actually wear and need. I do have shoes I love and wear, so I know I can make successful purchases. I'll focus on that for now. Tomorrow: the car wash.

Tina

o

Tina, your post on entertaining made me just smile. Reading your enjoyment and pride was almost as good as experiencing for myself. CONGRATS! It is so-o motivating. Thank you.
Plow in, great work starting on your basement. I was just wondering today why is it that I am able to happily spend as many hours as possible (drag me in kicking and screaming, okay, just grumbling) outside working in my garden where I get hot, sweaty, sore and sometimes a little sunburnt and yet I can not bring myself to spend nearly that much time in my basement? If I were to spend even half the time inside(or in that garage) that I spend outside my house would be culled and organized. Is it because in the garden a weed is so clearly a weed? No thinking or decison making, just pull it! But I will transplant and redesign sections of beds which does require decision making. GRRR! Perhaps I need to trick myself into this by just getting rid of 5 things everyday down there. After a couple of weeks I 'd be left with just keepers...hmmm

o

After yelling at each other one day, the next was worse - we ended up not speaking. BUT, the next one found DH down the cellar by himself cleaning up that corner, plus. So today we were back at work in the garage and cellar, both, but I still haven't found that box of keys to dump. Did get rid of a large garbage bag of fabric, and some other weird stuff DH finally gave up. Have decided what will go out on Junk Cleanup day, so now I can hardly wait. The garage at least will be emptier.

Thanks for all your comments and encouragement. You're all level-headed and practical, even if you are stressed over clutter. Me, too.

Tomorrow the car gets washed and the plants for the garden will be on my list to purchase. Can hardly wait to do some digging like you, tre3!

o

Plow in, those couple of days must have been stressful. Glad everything worked out and you know what's going on Junk day. This must be a relief. Perhaps you and your husband can treat yourselves to a nice meal or some activity you both enjoy as a reward? Have fun gardening!

Tina

o

I have learned so much about myself in the last few weeks. First -- I'm not as un-organized as I thought. It's DH that is unorganized!!! But he does show signs of improvement!

Second -- I have been learning to seriously ask myself WHY am I holding on to something. Really, I haven't touched that college text on Nutrition in 30 years. What makes me think that I will want to know the workings of the Krebs cycle now???

And third -- the simpler life fits my priorities better. With less clutter around me -- I can do more and be more productive. I'm not moving everything around to start a project whether its bill paying or supper or knitting a pair of socks. I can sit down -- grab my materials and instantly begin work.

Next week -- I am having some carpet cleaned and will be emptying the room -- it will be interesting to see what I put back into place.

Cathy

o
The web changes everything

For reference materials at least.
What makes me think that I will want to know the workings of the Krebs cycle now???

If you ever do, here it is: Krebs Cycle

-Lena

o

I guess this means TOSS THAT TEXTBOOK :)

o

Cathy/Clink -- I've been more aware of my self-talk lately, too, about whether to keep something or throw it away. I definitely agree with the idea that having less stuff is easier. Glad you are feeling liberated and productive.

Finally got my car washed yesterday, and it looks so nice. I felt really good driving around in it. Hmm, it's the equivalent of walking around with dirty hair or clean and shiny hair.

Tina

o

Oh no! That analogy of walking around with dirty hair...guess I need to get the van washed! It is amazing how anything clean is so-o much nicer. It can be an well worn vehicle or seen its better days counters, floors or appliance. Clean is queen!

o

tre -- If it's any consolation, it rained for the last two days on my freshly washed car!

Okay, there's one more thing I can cross off the list. Today I went through my pile of cooking magazines and clipped recipes I want to save. Originally was going to just toss the magazines and look up recipes on the internet, but realized while looking through them that I'm often inspired by recipes, especially suggestions for accompanying dishes and wines or whole meals. I like to look through cookbooks, see something that looks interesting and then make it. I keep my clipped recipes in plastic sleeves in a three-ring binder notebook, so they're compact and tidy.

I think tomorrow I'm going to work on regular and Xmas wrapping paper. Who knows what will happen once I venture up into the attic! The luggage is there, so I might have to deal with that, too.

What's everyone else working on?

Tina

o

Two half days of school left here so I had resolved while waiting for the computer to warm up to get something done! I need to tackle the basement. I have an almost fully finished basement with one area dedicated as a sewing/catchall/craft room and another area which is storage for misc furniture,luggage,sentimental baby/kid stuff, paint, xmas stuff, etc.

I thought I 'd start with the sewing area. I have a major fabric addiction to decorator and upholstery fabric with many many planned and dreamed of projects for the future. I even have fabric that I just like the color, texture or pattern. I am not at this time using this fabric. I need to let some of it go. HOW? Set a limit for how much I can keep, ie 20 pcs. Or, gie mself a week to make the dreamed of pillows, etc and then get rid of the rest? Get rid of all of it and if I miss it give myself permission to replace it on a piece by piece basis? Help aprreciated. Thanks.
T

o

"What is eveyone else working on?" Insanity..... that's my project and I'm getting to it well!!!!

I said I would host 5 political volunteers this Sat. (Yea- I live in Iowa. Candidates still eat supper at our houses!!!) And yes, they are sleeping on the floor but the house still needs to be clean.

And I'm hosting a sorority reunion at the end of the month -- so it needs to be really clean for them. And I've got a local tv show coming out to do a spot on the gardens -- so they need to be very clean. And all its doing is raining!

Which is helping with the house cleaning --- but definitely not the gardens!!

But I carry a garbage bag and pitch while I go!!! I am making serious progress. If I could only get DH's nests next to his chair under control. Might do some re-arranging of furniture.

And tre3, I need cushions for lawn furniture -- got anything in your stash?????

Cathy

o

Cathy I would love my fabric to go to a good home! Unfortunately for both of us my fabric is all for interior use...darn! Rain here over the weekend. It kept me mostly inside catching up on "daily" cleaning. Going downstairs now....I'm going to make a decison on at least 5 things (of mine! :))

o

tre3, if you've got something my DD would love, I'll take it off your hands!

(well, actually, i won't--but I started to tackle a "curtains around the lower bunk" project and was derailed bcs DD didn't like the material I had on hand. It doesn't go w/ anything else in the room (not like there IS any particular style-color. And then I found out that she's switching back to the top bunk once school is out)

o

tre -- I would determine the projects from which you would benefit the most and the fabrics you love best and make these your priority. I like the idea of giving yourself a certain period of time to complete your project(s). And, yes, you certainly should give yourself permission to let fabrics go and then purchase new fabrics on an as-needed basis. I don't know about you, but I find that I do best when I only work on one project at a time. It's in the present and represents something I am currently have interest in and will benefit from immediately (whether its organizing or decorating) and I usually can maintain my motivation to complete it. I know in my home, items squirreled away for future projects rarely have any energy coming their way. I still have a couple of unfinished projects to deal with myself. I can totally relate to your attachment to the fabric -- they represent the potential to create so many beautiful things.

Tina

o

I have had my best results when I've picked one project, and refused to allow myself to do any OTHER project until it is finished. And I require myself to do ONE thing EVERY DAY on the project. Even if it's a small thing; a single seam, or just ironing the hem today, and leaving it to be sewn tomorrow.
It's a version of the "15 minutes" thing. I remind myself that I don't have to finish the whole thing in one step; I just need to do one thing--pin the seam, but not sew it; sew a single seam, not all 4.

I also set up, and refuse to take down, until I'm done. I can condense the project (smaller space, off to the side), but I cannot put it away. That way, the stuff I need to use is available to me.

o

My intentions of making a decision on at least five things has snowballed. On a tear, per usual, but finally digging into a portion of my basement project. Thank goodness for rainy days!

I've wittled my fabric down by at least 50%. Not only have I saved large pcs of fabric for major projects but I usually can not bring myself to part with the smaller pcs that "could" be pieced or used to cover buttons or make an applique. All the scraps are gone! It feels so-o good to get this stuff out of my room, house and my mind.

Along the way I've tossed and culled numerous other things. I've run out of containers to put my donations in. Still making trips up the stairs, past my incredulous DD, to the garbage. This is by no means anywhere close to being a completed job, still I'll pat myself on the back as I drive to drop spot!

Thanks for all the input on projects. This ability to schedule and scheme ideas for projects into perpetuity is an area I really need to work on. Plenty of time to consider changes I need to make while clearing spaces and "right sizibg" my life.

o

Wow, tre! Good for you! Isn't it funny how making a decision on five things can spur you on? I love how expending energy begets more energy.

I was up in the attic this afternoon rooting through Xmas and non-Xmas wrapping papers, bags, boxes, ribbons and bows. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I have a box that I stand the rolls of Xmas paper in, as well as gift boxes and bags. It's nothing fancy, but it keeps things together and organized. I found some birthday paper and ribbons in the attic and a few gift bags down in the basement with the spare bags, and put all the non-Xmas gift supplies together. I'm going to find a box for these things and store them in the basement where they'll be more accessible year-round.

While up in the attic, I had a look around to see if there were any obvious items I could cull. A large empty fan box went out. I was surprised to see that there wasn't any luggage that needed to go. We have just two suitcases each, a couple of duffle bags, and several canvas tote bags. Everything else looked pretty good. There are a few items that could probably go, but there really isn't that much junk up there. An hour's worth of my time would make it right. Unfortunately, that hour wasn't going to be had today. There's only a small space where one can fully stand up, and it really stresses the back to be up in that attic for any length of time.

Tina

o

Oh Tina --- if my attic was only that good. Mine is full of my husband's stepchildrens stuff --- from 18 years ago!!! And I can't get him to help me go thru it. I'm to the point of just digging in and doing it.

Tre -- I am so proud of you!! As a needlepointer, cross-stitcher, knitter and sewer --- I know stashes!!!! Today, I pitched more yarn. I guess we hate to throw it out when we know what we can do with it. I even threw out some partially completed projects! that was tough.

I have been trying to cull cross-stitch patterns -- did them -- am I ever going to do them again??? Arrange twice on Freecycle to give them away to no luck......... one more freecycle attempt and then to Goodwill.

Cathy

o

I usually can not bring myself to part with the smaller pcs that "could" be pieced or used to cover buttons or make an applique

I have this problem, too. It's exacerbated by the fact that sometimes I *do* tackle some crafty thing that makes me glad I have 1/4 yard. But I struggle even with throwing out a 6-inch-square piece.

I've been getting tougher w/ myself, and it feels lighter.

I like that "make a decision about 5 things" idea.

. This ability to schedule and scheme ideas for projects into perpetuity is an area I really need to work on.

I've posted on this--on my decision, finally, that it is OK to *PLAN* things and not *DO* them. That the pipe dream is, in and of itself, a worthy diversion, and it need not be translated into any action to be considered honorable or productive. That now I can enjoy the pipe dream thoroughly, and then say, " wouldn't that be great? But I don't have to DO it."

o

Tina, how great it must be to go up in the attic, look around and say "hey, not so bad"! Given the cramped quarters I'd say baby steps all the way. No sense in getting a crick in your neck or back!

Cathy, the first things (an the easiest to identify) that I was tempted to toss were my DH's. Old text books, LPs, outdated (dangerous?) scuba gear, ancient downhill skis (he just rents now), an old metal framed backpack he hasn't used in over 25 years.... still hoping SOMEDAY he'll be ready to let go. That meant I had to make decisions on my stuff. Not so easy. Thank you for understanding the desire to hold on to bits and pieces because you know you "could" make something of them. I am evolving! I recently said goodbye to a partially started cross-stitch that wa to be my DD's first xmas ornament..she is almost 21. LOL!

Tina is right the energy is tremendous.

Hey Celtic what are you working on?

o

Talley Sue, yes...scraps of fabric. Gorgeous pcs of high quality, silks, linens, wools and velvets (ok, a couple of man made fibers in there too). Sigh. Still I'm happy to have let them go. If I miss them terribly I can always reaquire by using up some of my larger pcs.

I aspire to reach the point were you are in regards to projects. I am able to do that with really huge total fanatsy projects. Have not gotten there with the slightly more manageable ones. I hope over the course of many months to start tracking the time involved in the planning, scheming, shopping and actual production of my crazy ideas. It could be that I'll have to let things go because I find it isn't worth the life expenditure. Or I may have to suck it up, pry open my tight fist, and pay for the privilege of having a finished product. Gosh it is hard to grow up and gain wisdom:) I appreciate the support and encouragement! Thank you.

o

That now I can enjoy the pipe dream thoroughly, and then say, " wouldn't that be great? But I don't have to DO it."

Talley sue, you hit the nail on the head! I agree that having the pipe dream is something you don't have to let go of. For me, it's an enjoyment of the creative process. I love mulling over how to recover a chair, redo a kitchen, turn a piece of junk into a sculpture, etc. I guess that is a lesson to learn, where and how one wants to expend their energy, time, and often money. Choices, choices! The ability to envision a project, be able to purchase all the materials, to have the time and skill in which to bring the project full cycle to completion is truly a gift and a luxury. It does take a certain amount of thoughtfulness to choose which projects are worthy of becoming reality.

o

Had to open the drawer and cull . . . gasp! . . . bathing suits! I've been avoiding the clothing closet, but I couldn't be in denial of the bathing suit thing any longer. In three weeks my husband and I will spend a few days at the beach with his family. I've been shopping like mad for a new suit but having an awful time of it. Bought one and brought it home and noticed a tear in the seam, drat! Took that back and found another, but that wasn't quite right. Finally found one I think will work, but I have one more store to visit. I have made the rounds of every TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Ross in my area. In desperation I went to Macy's but almost fell over when I saw the price tags. So today I went through the drawer and pulled out my good suit from last year, then proceeded to weed through the bad leftovers. I don't know why I even bothered to try them on. I don't know why I even still had them. I'm trying one on and the elastic in the leg is failing and I'm left with a big gaping hole on one side and my cheek hanging out. Miserable, miserable task that was. They all went out, either in the trash or in a donation bag. I now have two bathing suits, which is all I really need.

Tina

o

OH NO... bathing suits. Is there really any other word that can make you cringe and shudder like the word bathing suits? You were very very brave Tina. This alone could grant you a pass on culling for the week! I know that you are too brave and strong for that route though. Once the horror of even handling a bsuit fades, I know you'll be back in the game.

I was not so brave. I simply made another trip to my donation site with more bags of fabric and other stuff. I have been able to free a plastic shelving unit that I can now use either in the basement storage area or the garage.

o

I need to *buy* a bathing suit. I tossed all mine last year, bcs they were fadded and gapping.

o

tre, thanks for understanding how traumatizing that experience was! Almost done with the wretched task -- today I'm going to visit that last store just to know for sure I've seen every bathing suit in the Delaware Valley. But first I'm checking out the gardening supplies and tools in the shed and getting that area in order. I removed the porch and patio furniture already, so the space is fairly clear. It will be good to dust off the shelving, straighten the pots and tools and sweep the floor.

Tina

o

I think I'm going to have a new thing on the culling list ........ ducks! Last night my one hen had 13 babies!!!! I have two drakes. I can handle 5-7 ducks on the farm because they are excellent at bug control.... but 16 is waaay too many!!! I won't have a plant in the pond!

But they are sure too cute!!!!

Cathy

o

Tina, don't forget Sears, and the Lands End bathing suits

o

Clink I don't want any part of culling ducks or ducklings :) How does one do that or is ignorance bliss?

o

Tre-- culling for some may mean dinner plans. Since I insist on playing with them and naming them -- it will mean finding wonderful homes for them! My chickens and ducks live wonderful full lives out here..... lots of food and goodies and love.

Sometimes to DH's dismay -- but he is as big as softie as I am.

Cathy

PS -- Ya know -- I have never walked into a bead store or a scrapbooking store for the very reasons you say. The stuff is wonderful -- but I am trying to convince myself that I have too many hobbies already and I don't need another one. On the other hand -- I am a tremendously intersting person!!! So I think!!!

o

Clink I am relieved to find out that culling doesn't involve eating. I can't be closely associated with anything that could end up on the dinner table! I wish I had the property to offer to take a few off your hands. Although, it is probably good that I am limited to my suburban lot and those of my neighbors!
I had my first scrapbook store experience today. What a dangerous place. Staying out is wise. You sure seem interesting to me! And wisdom dictates that we can't do everything...ha-ha-ha!

o

tre, I think Clink's comment about dinner plans meant . . . you know . . .

Okay, I'm back from the final shopping stint, and ladies, we have another winner! So, I brought another bathing suit home, and this is my plan: I will continue my exercise routine for the next three weeks and the bathing suit that looks best the day before we leave wins. Whew! Thank goodness that's over.

Tina

o

she meant, "for some [other people] may mean dinner plans..."

o

Yes.

o
sorry, confused

Okay, I thought I understood, but just realized differently. Talley sue, you're saying that she meant that *for other people who have ducks, culling may mean dinner plans*?

o

I'll clarify. I am not a vegetarian and I enjoy all types of poultry, beef and pork and fish. That being said -- my ducks are my pets as are my chickens and cats. If and when I get sheep -- they will be pets.

But I only have 2 little acres and 16 ducks is about 10 too many!! I wouldn't have a flower left and since my business is to sell flowers..... I would have lots of little stems.

Who knew she would hatch so many???? Last year, my hen hatched one. Some ducks don't go "broody" well --- Buffy sure did take to it. I'm hoping that next week when the farm opens ---- some one will love to have a pet duck or two!!!

Cathy

o

Wish we could cull some Canada geese in this town!

Back to "Pipe dreams" --- what do your DHs say when you talk about pipe dreams? Mine can tell when I'm dreaming up things, and he gets very nervous and even annoyed when I talk about those thoughts, even though I am not really intending to put the plans into action (mostly).

And PS -- the truck came and picked up our junk. What a relief! Of course, the next day I found 3 more things I should have put out, and, darn, they won't fit in the garbage cans. Oh well.

o

Plow in, Sorry you didn't catch everything. Isn't that the way it is for everyone? Celebrate lightening your load and getting rid of lots of other junk. Hurray!

I am getting rid of a broken garage refrigerator today when they bring the new scratch and dent model! Its suppoosed to reach 93 here today so I may end up working down in the cool basement.

Glad the duckling have a chance to find a new home...as a pet!

o

Plow in -- Those pipe dreams are for my own enjoyment. I find if I tell my husband about that kind of thing he gets anxious. You know how men are -- so action oriented. He doesn't like to waste time thinking about something if it's an exercise in futility. I actually have a little notebook in which I keep artistic or creative ideas. Whenever I have a creative spark, I write it down, no matter whether I think I'll ever do it. It's just really easy to forget unusual ideas, and I like revisiting my thought process. I'll write down the project end result, but I'll usually describe the how-to steps and the point behind it or some description of how I thought of the idea. There are still a couple of things I think I might eventually do, but if I hadn't written them down I don't think there would ever have been a chance of that.

Tina

o

I haven't been at all involved in this project, though reading about it, but I have to share this: I gave away a whole bag of shoes that weren't actually falling apart. This is a big deal for me. All the women in our family have big feet (size 11 and 12), so we tend to hoard shoes because it's so hard to find them. This year I realized that size 12 is really better for me than 11, and then realized that most of my shoes need to go because I'll probably never wear them again. My giveaway bag included 2 pairs of Rockport walking shoes, the shoes I wore to my wedding, some pristine black velvet pumps, and some others I don't even want to think about. But they are all gone -- hope someone out there will be able to use them.

o

Congrats to you Harriet! Getting rid of anything in good/great condition is tough. No doubt you made some other woman delirious with your shoes :)

o

there will be a woman delirious with happiness bcs she found size 11 shoes at the Goodwill!

(I have EE feet, and have sort of the same hoarding tendencies. I have some shoes I really should ditch, bcs the heels are higher than I'm comfortable wearing anymore)

o

Harriet, what an accomplishment. It is so hard to part with shoes that are still in good shape. The up side of that is now your closet contains only shoes that fit you.

Tina

o

What's everyone culling over the weekend?

I am culling weeds!

Over the past week I've gotten rid of a broken garage refrigerator, lots nd lots of fabric and multiple bags of misc. stuff.

o

I have so much craft supplies (knitting needles, yarn, embroidery kits,plaster craft kits,scrapbooking supplies,craft books, etc ,etc, ) that if I never bought anything new and just did the crafts I now own, I will never finish by the end of my life. I promise to throw out something/anything.

o

I'm culling flab. I'm off to do my 5 mile walk this morning.

We have dinner guests again tonight, so I'll be setting up and cooking this afternoon. I never got to clean and organize the shed like I planned earlier this week. Guess I'll try and get that done tomorrow.

Tina

o

Got rid of the knitting needles and crichet hooks this past week. Also donated odds and ends left over from school projects and kid crafts. I realized I just wasn't interested in doing any of the crafty things I owned. Someday if the craft bug strikes, I'll buy what I need.

Flab!! What a great idea :) Was hoping that hours of hard gardening could be my exercise. Going back out!

o

Crochet hook...sorry.

o

Hi everyone, I'm back and I've been following your progress. Everyone is doing great! :)
I had my tonsils and adenoids taken out last month so I've mainly been sleeping. As soon as I got better, my sister and I went on holiday to San Francisco. But now we're back. So I haven't accomplished much at home yet.
Celtic, congrats on having a nice closet. All of ours in our house are tiny and mostly stuffed. That's what I'm working on now. My dad went into like the front area of the house while my mom is out of town and removed four trash bags worth of paper. Just paper. I helped him take it outside before my mom could bring it back in. She doesn't know it's gone yet and she doesn't read this so it's awesome. I was afraid there would be like scorpions in it so I really didn't want to touch it but I did.
Lena, good job on getting rid of your keys. Celtic, I like the glasses organizer. That's great!

I actually got rid of a big bookshelf that was 6x4x5 that served mainly as our altar and had some storage for junk underneath. So I threw away most of the junk and am trying to find a smaller table or something for the altar. But the freed space looks really great.

Clink, I would love to have some of your ducks! Also, I will post some pics of my progress when I make some. It's just me this weekend so I have a lot to do.

o

I just stumbled on to this thread. I did a search looking for the first thread, but nothing turned up. Would one of you please post a link to the first thread. This is fascinating and something I desperately need.

o

Posie4u, here's the link to the original thread:

< HREF = "http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organ/msg0315282214974.html">Link to Part 1

o
Here's the name of original thread

Posie, for some reason I'm having trouble today creating a link. The actual name of Celticmoon's original thread to search for is: Too much stuff: my plan to combat hoarding

Tina

o

I learned some new math this weekend -- one acre of flowers = one acre of weeds!! My hands are unbelievable but the beds are looking good. I'm almost thru planting. Might make it thru it yet. things are just about getting ready to bloom.

I did get rid of an old bicyle. I had wanted it out of the barn for several weeks but since it was hanging on the ceiling --DH had to get on the ladder to get it down. DD came home and wanted it for "The Great Milwaukee Crappy Bike Ride" --- some how, I think this ride includes the drinking of Milwaukee's finest beverages!!!! Some friends get together and ride 25 miles on the lousiest bikes they can find. Actually, it sounds fun. And I got rid of the bicycle!!

Cathy

o

I gave away a second wheelbarrow to my neighbor yesterday. I also hope to make a run to Habitat's Restore with a load of misc building/remodeling items.
So, I guess you could say I am multi tasking...or scattered. Must focus on sewing room? But how to do this? The extra shelving unit I took out of sewing room could be used in either storage or garage. Do I just shove it somewhere else "in the meantime" or make room for it in another room? If I do that means rearranging, culling, and another big mess! Even though the sewing room isn't perfect right now, it is acceptable for round one of culling. Perfect entails finishing some rather time consuming projects along with my DH and I agreeing to let a few key items go. So, do I go on to the garage or storage room? If I do, I can get even more "stuff" out of my house and rooms. This will make the job of finally cleaning and organizing easier but means at least two sweeps through each area. Ideas, suggestions, and admonishments welcome!

o

Southernsurfergirl, welcome back. Hope you are feeling better.

Cathy, I admire your determination and energy! I can't imagine weeding on that scale. That's great you could get rid of the bike just in time for the crappy bike ride. That does sound like fun -- I'm picturing a slow, relaxed summertime ride.

tre -- From what you're saying, it sounds like you would rather move on to the garage and/or storage room rather than having to create another big mess in order to make room for the shelving. While it is frustrating to have to go over things twice, sometimes it's preferable to having a large area torn apart. If it feels better to do things in layers, then by all means do so. There have been plenty of times I've taken this approach simply because the psychic stress of a big mess is too much for my husband, and I think it's more important to feel positive while you're in the midst of parting with things and creating new systems of organization. I'm sure the more experienced folks here will have some good advice on how to tackle your tasks.

Tina

o

I think I win. This weekend, I got rid of an incredibly ugly 10.5 foot giant old satellite dish parked 20 feet outside my kitchen that has tormented me for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an eyesore.

Took 3 of us to lift it off the pole. Then took me hours to dismember it into pieces, bolt by bolt. Woke up DH, stacked it all into the Camaro with the top down and brought it to the dump. (tooling down the road was a sight.) I am deleriously happy that that THING is gone. (BTW, the satellite company did offer to take it back - for $500!! I don't think so. And monitoring Ebay and Craig's list, there appeared to be no interest. Duh. Wonder why.)

Oh, and we ripped off all the rotted rail and seating around the deck.

I've been a busy girl. Missed you guys... keep on culling!

o

Excellent work to all -- but Celtic -- your Scrap-the-Dish plan is truly amazing!! Way to GO! :) An amazing change!

Yes -- some rooms/areas just may need several culling-and-ditching-and re-sorting before it all can be over -- fo the time being. Those are my "Phases" as in "Phase One" etc. Peeling back the layers! And then making the room work well -- and even look good!

o

Celtic -- What a relief to have that big dish gone. It must have taken a lot of sweat and hard work to dismantle it, not to mention loading and transporting it to the dump. You are going like gangbusters, with working on the deck as well. This is bound to lead to a tremendous payout. Did you take any before and after pics?

Finally just finished cleaning and organizing our shed. All the cobwebs are gone, floor is swept, and the tools and gardening stuff are now sitting neatly on the metal shelving unit. Snow shovels and rakes are off to one side. So much nicer to go in there now. I found all kinds of droppings and nuts and stuff all over the place. The rags in there were all chewed up . . . disgusting. I was a little nervous in the service while moving things, but didn't find any rodents, just spiders and crickets. I need to find some steel wool to stuff in the mouse hole, but otherwise I'm outta there!

Tina

o

Celtic I'm glad you're back. I've missed reading your entertaining and motivating posts! You do win. Getting that dish down, out of sight and off sight must feel just great. How wonderful to look out and not see it!

Tina, good job on the shed. I too hate rodents, plus spiders and bugs in general. They may not know it, but we have an agreement. They stay out of my space and I don't bother them outdoors!

I have been culling paint today down in the basement storage area. Trying to round up all the misc supplies Restore will take. The van is now loaded. Had to laugh because I went to double check their location only to find out that they aren't open on Mondays! Oh well, I didn't have any great need to drive anywhere today :)

As a ping pong between spaces I've had another success. DH has agreed to give up ancient backpack with frame. He hasn't used it since college....a long time ago. I simply asked him if he was sure he still wanted it when I could see that maybe some homeless person would love it for their treasures. Of course I don't know who will end up owning it once it is donated. Thought it struck the right note for him though. Shameful of me!!!!

Teacats you are right that these rooms will take many passes to peel back all the layers. I like that mental image.

Back to see if I can find anything else to stuff in the van! Happy culling!

o

So, I'm down in the basement today rattling around looking for any gardening stuff that belongs in the shed, any stray items that are obvious to toss. I see a box on the shelves and have no idea what it is. (How quickly we forget . . . ) I pull it out to have a look and discover it's the boxed up kitchen culls I wasn't sure I wanted to part with. I immediately recalled how wonderful my entertaining experiences have been recently and the ease with which I've been able to perform tasks since all the extras were removed. I closed the box and marched it right upstairs and put it in the trunk of my car. I went back and brought out some other things I had tucked away "just in case", and out they went, too! Isn't it funny how time and experience make a decision so much easier?

Tina

o

"...Time and experience make a decision so much easier."

YES! This is so similar to Teacats observation that sometimes you have to peel back the layers.

As we realize that we haven't missed something, can't even remember it and have lived well without it, we can let it go. As we experience the ease of daily life, the opening of extra time without these objects we can let them go.

I guess the lesson is that whether it takes multiple passses through a room or boxing things up for a trial period, what's important is that we get there.

Congratulations Tina for not giving into the temptation to go thru those boxes again!

Took my load to Habitat Resotre. Now that I have space available in the van, I'm off to Goodwill. Still culling....how about you?

o

Today I weeded through a few categories, but none took much time. Started with pet stuff, getting rid of ratty cat toys and a fur removal "mitten" the cats hated. I found a really old leash and cheap collar, and this got me to thinking about emergencies. Many years ago I had to exit a burning building, and I ended up carrying a cat down outside steps in a snow storm without a collar or leash. I was lucky she had been so afraid she didn't try and get away. I've decided it would be prudent to have two collars and leashes for our current cats just to be safe. I also decided to get a second larger carrier and get rid of the one smaller one that neither cat can no longer fit in. So, tomorrow I'm going to the pet store and getting a bunch of new toys, collars, leashes, and a large carrier.

Also worked on the kitchen drawer with plastic containers, weeding out mismatched lids/bottoms.

tre, I was inspired by the organization of your mementos, so I looked through my hanging file and did some sorting and threw out pieces of memorabilia I no longer needed to keep. I removed family newspaper articles that I can put in an album of clippings I created at the same time I did my family photos. I'll have to think about whether I want to do anything further with what's left -- I do like the neatness factor of having things all together in a book.

Next, I broached the subject of the Old Computer and Old Printer (that sit on the shelves in the basement, never to be used again) with my husband. I suggested that we should print out any documents that are important and then scrap both items. He agreed to print and delete his stuff -- yippie!!

Finally, I looked at an unfinished craft project, a log cabin pattern quilt stored in a box under my bed. My MIL and I had taken a class together and we weren't able to finish the class because her mother became ill. The family spent a lot of time at the hospital and nursing home until she passed away, and my MIL and I never got back to finishing the quilts. A year later my MIL passed away. I found a local quilting group who finished the quilt for me, and that Christmas I gave it to my SIL. My plan has been to give my own unfinished quilt away, but today I decided that I want to keep that memory of the time I spent with my MIL and the work I had done. I sent an email to the quilting group who worked with my MIL's quilt asking for a referral for someone to complete my quilt, so we'll see what happens.

Tina

o

Tina, you are amazing! I can't get over how quickly you are getting so much done. I am envious! Is that super caffienated coffee you are drinking? :)

A visit to the pet store sounds like fun. While I am trying not to bring new things into the house for the two legged members I never have problems picking up a toy for our dog. As I type, the porch is littered with toys and she prefers rocks and sticks! Could this be the dog equivelent to kids and boxes?

I am in the process of driving my neighbors crazy with my give aways. Fuel for tiki torches ( I don't own any),charcoal for grilling (we have gas), half a bag of left over rock, an extra wheelbarrow, hangers for baby clothes, an umbrella stroller. Neighbors have asked if I've received a diagnosis they should know about!

Keep culling! I need the motivation. Thanks!

o

Many years ago I had to exit a burning building, and I ended up carrying a cat down outside steps in a snow storm without a collar or leash.

both of my cats would have shredded me by about the third step, and then they'd have been gone forever.

I live in an apt. and don't want to keep the carrier assembled (in the old apt I had very little storage space; in the new, it's all jumbled). I figure, I'll zip the cat into a pillow case--it'll be faster. And I'll have to fight the cat less; mine sees the cat carrier and goes into evasion mode.

o

tre, I almost lost my coffee over your neighbor's comment -- that's so funny! Sounds like you're gaining lots of open space in your garage. Good for you!

Thanks for the kudos. I have to admit those were really short and easy culls -- not nearly the kind of tasks that bog me down big time, like work in the basement or a storage area. No agonizing decisions involved in the process. The only thing I had to think about was my unfinished quilt. I'm not sure if I'm being a weenie by paying someone to finish my project, but I do have such fond memories of my MIL and that time we spent together. And I could look at the finished product and know that I sewed all the squares together quite nicely and be proud of that.

Off to do my errands. I promised myself I would do a 5-mile walk later, so maybe I'll think about my list after.

Tina

o

No Tina, you aren't being a weenie to have someone else finsh the quilt. I give you alot of credit for getting it DONE! You are right. You'll see the quilt, remember fond times with your MIL and be thrilled to actually honor those memories and have it completed and out from under your bed. GO!

o

Sounds like you all are making great progress.

I am being consumed, sucked dry, by this outdoor project which is getting more and more out of hand. Started with DH wanting a hot tub for his birthday in July. One thing led to another - though I'm still not sure how gutters crept into this project... I've vetted more tradespeople and learned more about building codes, concrete, decking, electricity, etc etc than my brain can handle. Oh, and tubs. Cripes, I don't even like hot tubs. I don't even like to be wet. I'm part cat. Sheesh.

Good news is all the progress on the worst part of our yard. Ditching the 10 ft sattelite dish was huge. Salvaged my favorite perennial herbs and flowers and will be able to make a great new bed for them when the concrete guys get done. And we will have a real cement walkway rather than the ugly, heaving, crooked, weedy block walk that's been there forever.

Cement guys asked if I wanted to keep the blocks. Obviously you know I thought I should, after all I might want to recreate that ugly walk somewhere else, right? I might need them someday, right? And they cost like a dollar each, so that would be money wasted if I need them later, right? Then the voice said, "No, Celtic! Cull! Cull! Remember? Cull!"

I just watched the truck loaded with nasty old blocks pull away. Whew. That was a close one. Really. Thanks for the collective shout. I heard you.

o

Okay, now I'm officially jealous. A hot tub is just what would knock my socks off -- my sweaty gym socks, that is! I would love to have a hot tub when my back aches, muscles are sore and tired, and just to wind down and relax at the end of the day. What a wonderful birthday gift you are giving your husband, Celtic. Isn't it funny how simple projects morph into larger, more complex projects? Okay, not so funny right now, but you know what I mean. I'm sure you're are going to have an amazing backyard when all is done. Oh, and, yes, I am glad you didn't hold onto those ugly blocks!

Got all my cat stuff at the pet store and had a good workout at the gym. I even stopped at the Salvation Army to drop off those kitchen culls I found in the basement because they were making too much noise in my trunk. I'm pooped and saving my list for tomorrow morning. Now, if only I could have a nice soak . . .

Tina

o

Wow! Not only have you gotten rid of a 10ft eyesore but also a walking hazard! :)

Good job on letting those nasty blocks go. Isn't funny how sneaky that inner hoarder is? I think this is a real sign of progress on many fronts.

And just think, after all this project experience you could be a general contractor!!! Can't wait to see your pics.

o

They are pouring the concrete now. What a difference a week makes!

On the culling/cleaning front, I did end up rounding up, cleaning up and organizing the flowerpots since I needed them for 'interim housing'. I believe they were on the list. And garden tools could sure use a once over....

So Tre, I have an image of you depositing 'treasures' on neightbors' stoops, ringing the bell and running away, laughing madly.

Ooooo, dump is open for computer recycling today. Guess where my 1993 Packard Hell is heading?

o

We're having a couple of cooler days right now, so my husband and I are going to work on insulating the attic in the original part of the house. There's only a small entrance to that side and my husband is claustrophobic, so guess who has to squeeze into the scary, dark area and do the actual work? Yup! You got it! I'll be dressing for the occasion with full body coverage, gloves, mask and goggles. I've been over there once before -- it's actually pretty cool, because with a light you can see the pegged mortise and tenon construction of the roof.

What's everyone else doing today?

o

Tina I don't envy you the job you're undertaking today! Hope it is a LOT cooler there than here (High 80's and MUGGY). The bright spot is that I imagine once you get it done it will help to keep things cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter!

Celtic I love the mental image you've come up with! So far all my give aways have been accepted. If they put up a fuss I'll fall back to your idea. Laughing madly!!!! With the blessings of the mothers in the area, we are having a beanie baby give away tonight! The rest will be donated. Three more containers out of the basement!

Was set to take another partial load of stuff to Restore until DD stuff changed my plans. I love summer. Now that I have time available again the mugginess of the day has sapped my motivation. I just want to live vicariously through your accomplishments!

o

I haven't been home much lately but today I finally cleaned up my "junk room". It started off as a library but when DD moved back in, all her excess was put in there. It's now at least neat. And my clothes that I decided to give to Goodwill about 6 months ago are finally in a bag by the door.

I am going in one week to pick up my 5 1/2 year old DGD. She is coming to stay with us for the summer. We haven't seen her in almost a year and are excited. But, according to DD, she has become a big mess maker and will not pick up after herself, no matter what DD has tried.

I really have to get on with getting this house back in order before she arrives.

BTW, I finally threw out all of the empty boxes in the garage. The garbagemen took the last of it this morning. My main big job in there that's left is to clean out a broken cabinet that's filled with my stuff. I also have to defrost the freezer in there.

o

Great work Marie! Amazing how this culling progress happens in spurts. Sounds like excellent progress on the garage,closet and "library" (surely it no longer qualifies as a "junk room".)

I think we are at critical mass for this thread - 150 is the limit, right? Ooooo, I'm starting Part 3. What fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Culling - Part 3

o

OH, NO! NOT THE PENGIES!

"pj's...sigh, I had to relegate my beloved 'pengies' (=flannel penquin print pj's) to the memory trunk as they are starting to shred. They have been my comfort - DH always knew it was a really really bad time if I took to the pengies. Maybe one, two wearings left in them. I'm saving them for a really bad time. "

No relegation needed. Go get 'em, and look at the colors. Find a new, plain color pair of flannel jammies you like that coordinate well and find some salvagable fabric that isn't damaged off the pengies jammies and make a pocket or other trim for the new jammies.

There. The Pengies tradition can live on. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here