Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bspofford

Vacuum cleaner advice needed

bspofford
13 years ago

I know there have been many threads about vacuum cleaners, but I'm looking for some current advice.

DH and I recently purchased a second home, as my husband is working out of town for about four years. We bought a new townhome. Dining, living, bedrooms, stairs are all carpetted. The kitchen, three bathrooms,laundry room, and hallway are either tiled or hardwood.

Based upon a recommendation by consumer reports, I purchased an upright vacuum, and I hate it. It will not vacuum stuff off the hard surfaces, nor does the brush have a disconnect setting. Even with the setting adjusted for bare floors, it picks up sand, etc. and throws it out the back. If I use the hose, the brush keeps spinning and I'm afraid it will eventually scratch the floor.

So, my desire at this point is an upright vacuum that is bagless, and that can have the brush 'turned off' when using the hose and tools. I'm also interested in very user friendly tools with a good long reach. I'd really prefer not to have to use two different vacuums.

What recommendations do you have?

Barbara

Comments (6)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

We have a Dyson Animal (DC14 I think) and while it does a fine job on carpets, it's hard surface performance leaves a lot to be desired. I think a canister would be your best bet. I'm also a fan of using an small, inexpensive Shop-Vac for hard floors. Beyond the floors they're also good for cars, garages, etc. And they'll suck up anything, including liquids.

• jollyrd
    13 years ago

Bissell PROlite Multi-Cyclonic Upright Vacuum, Bagless, 17G5
    Love it, we have hardwood, tile and carpet and it cleans all surfaces and has brush switch at the handle. Bought it on Amazon - with free shipment it was $50 saving on the price compared to Target or Lowes. The only thing -it is a bit heavy but still best so far. Here is my review posted on Amazon, you can read others on Amazon.

"came quickly, time to take out of the box and set up - 5 minutes with one screw driver. Suction is amazing, I can't believe how much dirt and dust it got in first 10 seconds. Yes it pulls on your carpet especially when you are working at the edges. It is a bit heavy and takes a bit of effort for me to move it around, so that is the heaviest I will ever buy. I have hardwood floor and carpet in bedroom, and I followed with dust whiper on hardwood floor -- almost no dust to speak off. I will not get under your couch without attachments - too thick front body. Still, I like it for the price and quick clean up.
    Have not tried the attachments yet."

• larke
    13 years ago

Have you spoken to the manufacturers of the machine you have to find out if they can help? Or maybe a local vacuum repair person could help - it's just possible that you haven't attached something, or pushed a switch, or whatever (manuals can be very confusing!) and you might end up liking what you have once you're sure you've covered all the bases.

• bspofford
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, everyone. I posted this on the cleaning forum, which I would have done first if I were a little more organized......

One suggestion was a central vac system. I'm going to pursue that with some research.

Barbara

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Love my central vac!!!!

• jannie
    13 years ago

I have a small stick vac "Eureka the Boss", cost about $30. Excellent suction and lightweight. Though it doesn't come with any tools for upholstery and drapery,etc. Does a great job on bare floors, wood floors and low pile carpeting. Love it.