Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does hanging a hoodie stretch or damage it irreversibly?

Posted by michael00693 (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 19:17

Does hanging a hoodie (or generally stretchable clothes) stretch or damage it irreversibly? If the effects are temporary then it's fine, but I'm worried that if I hang it for a long time (say a month or more) it will stretch irreversibly.

So, what is the best way to store a hoodie?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does hanging a hoodie stretch or damage it irreversibly?

All depends on what it's made of and what you are hanging it from.

The looser the knit, the more damage hanging will cause. A hook might cause more damage than a hanger.

If we're talking about the typical hoodie made of sweatshirt-type fabric, with cotton and maybe a little spandex, hanging most likely won't hurt it. There might be a "bump" in the fabric where the hook or the end of the hanger was, but washing and drying the hoodie will make that disappear.

But if you're thinking of hanging a good wool sweater--well, those can stretch out if hung too long and they might not go back to their original shape. So for a fine cotton or wool sweater, I'd fold it and store it in a drawer or on a shelf.

The more you can stretch a knit fabric, with or without spandex, the greater the risk of harming it by hanging.

o
RE: Does hanging a hoodie stretch or damage it irreversibly?

I'm in total agreement with Camlan. The only thing I want to add is that a padded hanger can prevent "bumps" on some items. I hang my velour hoodies on the curved clear plastic hangers and have not had a problem. I hang some good sweaters and keep others in a drawer; it depends on the tightness of the knit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here