Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What not to store in the attic?

Posted by homersgarden (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 18:14

We recently finished putting boards down in our "attic". This is above our garage and does not have much venilation. It does get warm up here and cold (we rarely reach 100 degrees in our area).
We are hoping to store holiday decorations up here as well as some boxes of old momentos (from our high school days...we are in our mid-30s). Is there anything we should not store up here? Advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What not to store in the attic?

My parents used to try to store some things in the "loft" which was above the full length of our house, not always successfully. It could get VERY hot, even with vents at each end of the house. The heat was more of a problem than the cold. It's like inside a car--it gets much hotter there than the outdoor temperature.

Plastic warped, adhesives gave way, paper and books got yellowed and crispy before their time. You'd put things up there and find they'd disintegrated. Christmas decorations were ok as I remember, although the electric light cords seemed to get brittle over the years. Of course, this was a long time back, and today's plastic cords might be better...

I wouldn't keep anything there that you really treasure and couldn't be replaced. It's hard enough keeping paper, photos and fabric in good shape under normal house conditions. Put them in a hot, unventilated place and I think you're asking for trouble.

o

I wouldn't put high-school mementoes up there, unless what you're really doing is delaying the day you'll throw them away, plus giving you a physical reason to toss them.

o

Candles...with or without the sconces/containers used to display them.

Don't ask.

o

I agree, candles shoulkd not be srored in a hot attic. Also add papers and books. there's an insect known as "Silverfish" that loves hot dry attics and feeds on paper. They are gross, disgusting, they look somewhat like cockroaches. Been there, done that.

o

Actually, the silverfish does *not* look like a cockroach.
And they like dark, moist, and warm locations, w/ crevices. Like bathrooms. They will go to the attic as well, however; they can withstand considerable drying.

http://www.uos.harvard.edu/ehs/pes_silverfish.shtml

"Uniformly silver to slate or pearl gray, inch in length. These silverfish are a common pest in homes, libraries and museums where they eat paper, fabrics, and get into cereals. They have mandibles that can remove the sizing of paper in books, and magazines, damaging etchings and prints. They nibble on book bindings and feed on the glue and paste in the binding. This insect prefers cool, damp situations; their preferred temperature range is 72 to 80 degrees F with 72 to 95% relative humidity. "

http://www.insectsandpests.com/

But they do eat paper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/entomology/factsheets/silverfi.html

o

I would NOT store Xmas ornaments (or much else) in the attic. Not if you want it to be OK next year. I keep stuff in my (dry) basement. The heat will make plastic ornaments "melt" and lose color. Vintage ornaments (even glass) will lose their color and get sticky. I've kept kids' clothing in plastic bins successfully for a couple of years, maybe some wooden kids' furniture/toys. Up there currently, I have some boxes of tile that are backups for my remodeled rooms, the crib (hey, someday I'll have grandkids), some old toys that should likely be donated anyways....

Good luck, but don't keep things you value greatly in that environment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here