Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdw72697

maximizing closet space with blind corners (x-post small homes)

kdw72697
11 years ago

Hi everyone, I am cross-posting this message I put on the Smaller Homes forum.

I have a closet problem with which some of you may be able to help.

My master closet is a reach-in (not a walk-in), and it is a generous 11 linear feet wide. This would be fabulous, except that I can only access a maximum of 34" at any given time due to the way it is configured.

I didn't have any luck posting pics from flickr, but basically to the right and to the left of the sliding doors is an additional 29" of space on each side that I really can't access without partially climbing into the closet and stretching out in the dark to dig something out.

I would like to maximize my storage space within the opening, but I can';t figure out how to install any kind of organizers without blocking off that 29".

I can take the doors off and go with curtains like I did in my kids rooms, and that would give me a nice 6' wide opening in the middle. But I still can't figure out how to access the 29" blind spots on either side.

Here is a link that might be useful: closet with blind corners

Comments (7)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

You could install a ClosetMaid Shelf Track system. It would allow you the most flexibility in arranging your clothing. You could decide how far into the closet you can reach, then only put the rod - or preferably the two rods - as far as you can reach. At the two deepest points, you could have shelves. They would not be easily accessible, but if you don't overcrowd the rods, you could slide the clothing momentarily to the opposite side of the closet.

You could switch the sliding doors out for full access bifold door hardware from Johnson Hardware.

• kdw72697
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oooh, thank you for that Johnson Hardware link. There are so many options!

Have you ever done a shelf-track installation? Is it reasonably easy? We have bizarre stud placement (17", then 23", then 15", then 6"), so any project involving screwing things into the wall is "extra fun". :)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I have done three installations in this house by myself - and I'm a tiny 61 year old woman. You don't need to hit the studs to hang this system. In one closet, I never hit a stud.

If you decide to go this route, I can post some tips based on my experience.

• geokid
    11 years ago

We had similar closets in our old home. We turned the narrower ones into mini walk-ins with hanging clothes on either side of the door and nothing in the middle. We did the same with our wider closet, but we were able to put some hanging clothes in the middle. I did a real quick sketch of what out wide closet looked like.

The black lines are the walls and the blue lines are either shelves or hanging rods.

• kdw72697
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for posting this on the other forum, and thanks on this forum, too! ;)

• talley_sue_nyc
    11 years ago

Geokid, that's brilliant!

• Kahuhipa
    11 years ago

I agree with Geokid. I design and build custom closet organizers for a living and the layout you've described is one of the most challenging. The only way to utilize the space is to either put 24" deep shelves in both corners facing toward the center of the closet or to add a hanging bar going across with the clothes facing toward the center of the closet.

Yes, it will be awkward to access these spaces but not as awkward as if you build everything across the long wall all the way into the corners. Use these two end walls to store items that you don't access very often like suitcases, Christmas boxes, gowns, etc.

Best of luck!