Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inexpensive display to organize collection?

Posted by UAHMom (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 05 at 14:26

Have any of you seen an inexpensive display, such as an acrylic front shadow box, that could be used to display kids' collections of models? My son is looking for a way to display a Gundam models collection that will keep it from getting dusty, but he can't afford the $300+ display cases we've seen online. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inexpensive display to organize collection?

Do you live near a city big enough to have places that sell used store fixtures? We have several here in Minneapolis/St. Paul. They might be a good source of that kind of thing. Or an organize-it type of store. Or you could check out places that sell packaging; I know I've bought stuff in clear plastic boxes and you might be able to buy a small bunch.

o

If he's willing to do some work in cardboard (Bainbridge board would be my vote) or in balsa wood or bass wood (available in precut strips from a craft store), he could use those acrylic box frames.

Box frames come in lots of sizes, and are available at most Wal-mart-type places or at Bed Bath & Beyond. For a larger size (this one is 11x14) he might have to mail-order.

He'd have to make a frame for it to slide around, and then make shelves for them to stand on--how thick are they? That might shoot the box-frame idea down. (or it might mean that he should check w/ a custom plastics fabricator, and see how much they'd charge for making a deeper version of it).

To cut bass wood, you use a fine-toothed saw by X-acto (a razor saw), which you can usually buy wherever the wood itself is sold.

Another idea is to buy a drawer box or some other wooden box and stand it on its side, then screw plexiglas to the top.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I found some unfinished box frames (with interior shelf) at Michael's this morning that may work for most of the collection. I'll also look into getting a large sheet of plexi for ds to attach to one of his bookcases for the larger items.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here